NCL GEM Questions - Lobster/Formal Night and Chocolate Buffet Questions

NJ04SS

I know I am making a few threads, I am sorry. I am just getting excited and its coming down to T-23 days or so it is, and I had a few questions..

I have been on the NCL Gem once on a one night cruise, I don't even think we saw the whole ship. Anyway, got a few questions on an upcoming cruise and I promise i will write a detailed review once I get back!:D

Is there any secret cool places to hang out? Anywhere in the front of the ship to catch a beautiful view/sunset/sunrise? :confused: Any "not to miss" places on the ship, even in the back, or on the sides?!?!?

Is there a Chocolate Buffet on the 7 Night cruise? If so do you know what night its on?

Also any input on the Interior Cabins , Deck 10 AFT?

How many formal nights/lobster nights? We'd like to dress up and my gf is craving the lobster. Also do you know what nights this is normally on? Appreciate it!!

I GREATLY appreciate it!!

On our 2/20 Gem cruise:

Lobster night and first "dress up or not night" was the 2nd night of the cruise. I think there is a 2nd dress up or not night, but I don't pay attention to them as I am strictly a "resort casual" dresser. Note the lobster is a half rock lobster tail...nothing like Maine lobster, and is served in conjunction with another fish...I think grouper.

Chocoholic buffet was on the 6th night as I recall.

I would like your personal opinion after you come back from your journey on the Gem.

Wife and I were on the Gem 2/3 and have some thoughts, however, will look forward to yours when you return and share opinions.

As for your initial inquiry, lobster is extremely small as you may imagine by the NJ Horseman description of plating grouper with the one piece. (Had the same experience.)

Best to you!

Well I was on the NCL GEM 1 night weekend thing January 2 10' and loved it. Were you on for this itenirary?

If so any tips I'd greatly appreciate it!

I know lobsters small - do they serve lobster in any other speciality restaurant?

Well I was on the NCL GEM 1 night weekend thing January 2 10' and loved it. Were you on for this itenirary?

If so any tips I'd greatly appreciate it!

I know lobsters small - do they serve lobster in any other speciality restaurant?

Feel free to ask for another lobster serving if it's too small. Your wait staff will be more than willing to accommodate you. They serve lobster in Cagney's.

You should probably downplay the lobster to your GF. On our cruise 2/27, it really didn't look very impressive. In so far as dressing up goes. There were people in The Grand Pacific and Magenta dresses to kill and some wearing TShirts and jeans. It really didn't seem to matter.

NJ,

Just go enjoy yourself and your partner!

Tips,

if you enjoy wine with dinner, bring your own wine. ( Cork fee applies 15 per bottle)

Pool is extremely small and smaller with sold out ship, sooooo

Go straight to 13th floor for relaxing sun or even go to the 14th for a great view on cushion lounge chairs for 2!

Accepting large crowds at the pool is a tip, so why fight it.

Best to you!

John,

Sorry, We did ask and was told they were extremely limited to one each

Hopefully, NJ will have a different experience.

Wow. I am really surprised. I don't remember the last time someone has posted that they were refused seconds in the MDR.

John,

Sorry, We did ask and was told they were extremely limited to one each

Hopefully, NJ will have a different experience.

I asked if I could substitute a lobster tail for the grouper - no problem - got 2 tails. But, as others have mentioned they are very small and the ones I got (and DH) were overcooked and rubbery.

Well no problem - I'll order one for myself and give it to her! Thanks for the info, yeah we have never before been refused a second in the MDR. Thanks for the heads up. I don't mind crowded pools and noise ect, to me thats whats fun about the cruise. If it was like a ghost town It'd be way too depressing lol

If you use the buffet at all, eat at the Great Outdoors - extreme aft of the buffet. I have breakfast there every day when on the Gem. It is less crowded and beautiful.

If you want to enjoy the pool, choose one port day not to go ashore. When we did the Bahamas cruise, we knew we had no desire to go to Freeport again so we spent the day by the pool and had a fantastic day with no crowds. I was even able to enjoy the water slide with very few kids.

Hello Cruisers,

We will be on the Gem for our 2nd time Saturday.:D Last year we went a few weeks later and the weather was amazing, this year may be a little iffy but we will join the spa and make the best of it. We ate in the MDR and had the lobster and grouper and have to say it was delicious, even if it was carribbean. The grouper was very good also. We live in Boston and eat Maine lobster all the time:) and we were very pleased with our meal.

We are so looking forward to a break from the weather here in New England.

Happy Sailing,

Ann and Bernie:cool:

NJO4SS

Our favourite "secret" spot to hang out is the Sky Bar on deck 13 next to the entrance of Cagneys. May have changed from 2 years ago (and I will find out in June!) but its a small romantic bar playing Sinatra music. Very nice indeed.

Not too much of a secret anymore, at least for those of us here on CC....but.... For breakfast and lunch the buffet area can get quite busy, so get your food and walk across the hall to the Italian restaurant where you will find plenty of seating. They usually have coffee and juice set up in there in the morning, so you won't have to walk far for a refill. :)

• 3 years later...

Archived