Carnival -vs - ?

ladybug57

I'm so excited to have found this message board & know it is the place to ask... I am the one in charge of making plans for a cruise for several couples for Thanksgiving 2011. No one else has ever cruised before, other than my husband & I... and that's been several years ago. Our first cruise was on Carnival and the second on Royal Caribbean. They were vastly different experiences.

My question is... is Carnival still just a big party ship for 20 somethings? That was our experience, again, many years ago. We're all in our 50's but very young at heart & want to have fun but nothing as crazy as our previous cruise.

All input is much appreciated - thanks!

I dont know how many years ago you cruised Carnival ... but Im your age, and never thought Carnival was a 20 something party ship. Were you on a weekend short cruise?? I dont know what made you think this so maybe Carnival isnt for you. I dont see RCL and Carnival as "vastly different".

WELCOME!! :D

My hubby and I are 50-ish and have enjoyed 4 Carnival cruises, starting in 2004. We just recently (last month) got off an 8-day Spirit Mexican Riviera cruise with a Cruise Critic group. All of our cruises have been so fun and nothing like the "party-ship" image of yesteryear.

You will find folks of ALL ages on Carnival cruises. The short 3 or 4 day cruises tend to be more of a party ship for 20-somethings. We have cruised during Spring Break 3 times and have not had any problems.

I think you would enjoy Carnival, especially if you stick to a longer cruise, like a 6, 7 or 8 day. Have fun!

WELCOME!! :D

My hubby and I are 50-ish and have enjoyed 4 Carnival cruises, starting in 2004. We just recently (last month) got off an 8-day Spirit Mexican Riviera cruise with a Cruise Critic group. All of our cruises have been so fun and nothing like the "party-ship" image of yesteryear.

You will find folks of ALL ages on Carnival cruises. The short 3 or 4 day cruises tend to be more of a party ship for 20-somethings. We have cruised during Spring Break 3 times and have not had any problems.

I think you would enjoy Carnival, especially if you stick to a longer cruise, like a 6, 7 or 8 day. Have fun!

Have only been on 7 day cruises and have to agree 100%.

We love both Carnival and RCI because they are both what we are looking for in a cruise.

We are both in our late 50's too, and either line for cruises 7 days or longer is a perfect fit for us.

Any short cruise on any line usually means an older ship and a rowdier crowd.

Happy Sailing!!!

We have done 9 cruises on Carnival. I thought there was more partying on the 1 RC we went on . We usually do the 7 & 8 day Carnival Cruises. We just took the new Dream last month. My favorite one was Carnival Freedom. We did it last year and the year before. We did the Exotic Western and the Eastern. They were both great cruises.

I'm so excited to have found this message board & know it is the place to ask... I am the one in charge of making plans for a cruise for several couples for Thanksgiving 2011. No one else has ever cruised before, other than my husband & I... and that's been several years ago. Our first cruise was on Carnival and the second on Royal Caribbean. They were vastly different experiences.

My question is... is Carnival still just a big party ship for 20 somethings? That was our experience, again, many years ago. We're all in our 50's but very young at heart & want to have fun but nothing as crazy as our previous cruise.

All input is much appreciated - thanks!

We've done Carnival, Princess and RCI all withing the very recent past. They're more alike than many of the RCI or Princess snobs would care to admit. In fact, we just came off the Valor last week and had a great cruise. Food was good, entertainment as good as any ship we've been on and the rooms were kept sparkling clean. The weather was not as warm as I would have liked but we still had a good time.

In general, you will see more of a "partying" crows on the shorter (3-4 day) cruises. Not always, though. I've been on 4 day cruises that were very sedate. It just depends on who your fellow passengers are for that particular cruise.

Here is my 2 cents...take it for what it is worth....

I am a 25 year old newly wed...I have been on a handfull of cruises...

4 With Carnival and 1 with RCCL.

My latest experience was RCCL. We were on a med cruise for our honeymoon. There were not many folks in their 20's on board. Mostly 40's+. I found that the ship didn't offer as many fun things to do as a Carnival Cruise and it seemed a little more Classy than what I am used to.

One before that was a Carnival Cruise to Alaska, I was 21, and still very few 20's...It was a classy cruise as well, but they still had fun things and entertainment during the days at sea.

My point is a lot of it will depend on the itenerary that you sail. And the time of year that you sail. The summers in the Caribbean will be a younger crowd. IMHO.

Again IMHO, I feel more at home on Carnival...I always seemed to find something fun or a fun group to "party" with. I think they do live up to their slogan as being "Fun Ships".

No matter what you do, you will have fun as you will be placing yourself around people you love and will be on vacation!!!

Party up for me!

I will be dreaming in 80 days!!!

Wow, thanks for all the incredibly fast replies.

Our previous cruise on Carnival was a seven night, E Caribbean in the month of February. Our issues had to do with people being so drunk they were throwing up in the bathrooms a great deal of the time, sloshing drinks on other passengers, rude remarks being yelled at other passengers, etc. We're a pretty fun group ourselves but it just felt like all of that was too over the top for our enjoyment.

You have me thinking we might of just gotten a rough crowd :o) I'll definitely keep researching Carnival as a possibility.

We are both 50 and recently cruised Carnival one week, followed by RCCL the next.

Both were 7 day Mexican RIviera cruises out of Southern California.

After that experience, hands down we will stick to Carnival barring extreme circumstances. We enjoyed Carnival so much more as there was actully something to do in the evenings. More reasons as well.

Have never experienced a 20 something crowd in all of our cruises and 2 of them were short ones out of Southern California.

We've done Carnival, Princess and RCI all withing the very recent past. They're more alike than many of the RCI or Princess snobs would care to admit. In fact, we just came off the Valor last week and had a great cruise. Food was good, entertainment as good as any ship we've been on and the rooms were kept sparkling clean. The weather was not as warm as I would have liked but we still had a good time.

HEY! I sail RCL a lot and Princess a lot too. I just sail Carnival MORE!:p:rolleyes::D

Our previous cruise on Carnival was a seven night, E Caribbean in the month of February. Our issues had to do with people being so drunk they were throwing up in the bathrooms a great deal of the time, sloshing drinks on other passengers, rude remarks being yelled at other passengers, etc. We're a pretty fun group ourselves but it just felt like all of that was too over the top for our enjoyment.

You have me thinking we might of just gotten a rough crowd :o) I'll definitely keep researching Carnival as a possibility.

You still dont say how long ago this cruise was .. what year since you last cruised .... so no one can tell what your basis is ... but it still sounds to me like with such a negative attitude, you will see one drunk person and be upset and say this proves Carnival in particular is a party ship.

Some people should book another cruiseline, no one on a message board is going to convince you Carnival is or isnt a party ship full of drunks..you start off this thread in a pretty negative vein. Just my two cents. Try another cruiseline that is more upscale. Maybe you would like Celebrity or HAL better. Carnival and RCL arent for everyone.

must of been the crowd on that sailing.....there are a totally different group of people on each sailing...it's actually possible to experience that on any line given the right circumstances.

Gosh, I didn't expect to be flamed! Sorry if I sounded negative but it was not a great experience. We all drink our fair share too & encountering a "drunk" was not the issue - it was the bad behavior of what felt like the majority of the passengers on board. I realize it was probably a small percentage but they made it feel like a majority. Finding someone throwing up in the public bathrooms was the norm as were people banging non our doors at 2 am on their way back to their rooms. It was in the month of Feb.1998 so I don't think it was Spring Break but maybe it was for some. Sorry that I got someone's blood pressure rising over my question. Thanks to those who provided helpful insight - much appreciated!

Also, keep in mind I've only sailed once on Carnival which is why I wrote looking for advise.

Gosh, I didn't expect to be flamed! Sorry if I sounded negative but it was not a great experience. We all drink our fair share too & encountering a "drunk" was not the issue - it was the bad behavior of what felt like the majority of the passengers on board. I realize it was probably a small percentage but they made it feel like a majority. Finding someone throwing up in the public bathrooms was the norm as were people banging non our doors at 2 am on their way back to their rooms. It was in the month of Feb.1998 so I don't think it was Spring Break but maybe it was for some. Sorry that I got someone's blood pressure rising over my question. Thanks to those who provided helpful insight - much appreciated!

Also, keep in mind I've only sailed once on Carnival which is why I wrote looking for advise.

Don't take it personally ;) People are passionate sometimes.

What you experienced is something I have never seen on any of my CCL cruises. I have been on 8 at this point. Yes, I have seen plenty of drunks (on all my cruises..even the celebrity one with the 80 year old passengers!!) but I have never experienced seeing anyone throwing up in the public bathrooms. I am hoping what you experienced was a rare thing.

I like Carnival a lot. I really don't know if you'll like it..only you will know that after you try them again. :)

Disregard the negative post, some people get their panties in a wad over the smallest possible negative implication about CCL.

We are both in our early 50's and have never felt the need to cruise anything other than Carnival (11 so far and going on 12 in May).

We enjoy the party atmosphere and he ability to also do nothing if we want.

Go, enjoy and don't worry.

After having been on Disney, Princess, and RCCL we decided to try Carnival. Lot's of friends said we would be sorry. We were on the Dream and can honestly say that there was not much difference" if any " with the passengers. All the stories about wild happenings and partying till wee hrs were not present on the Dream...We are now booked on Miracle for this coming November and are looking forward to it....:rolleyes:

Gosh, I didn't expect to be flamed! Sorry if I sounded negative but it was not a great experience.

I don't think you sounded negative at all and you were only relating your personal experiences. You even said you were still going to consider Carnival as a choice. Nope, you were not negative at all. Some people get a little too defensive and I wonder if they ever read back what they write and realize how harsh they actually sound?

Anyway...I'm new to cruising and only experienced my first one this past January and it was a Carnival cruise. It was an amazing time!!

I did not find it to be a party barge but I did find it to be fun... a LOT of fun and I can't wait to go again.

Whatever line you decide on, I hope you have a wonderful time. :)

In general, you will see more of a "partying" crows on the shorter (3-4 day) cruises. Not always, though. I've been on 4 day cruises that were very sedate. It just depends on who your fellow passengers are for that particular cruise.

I thought they were seagulls?:confused:

Bill

Archived