dense fog in galveston and carnival ecstasy

nyc1234

my friend is supposed to get on carnival ecstasy today, but there's dense fog in the area and she can't get on the ship, does anyone know what is the latest status? any chance of refund or hotel arrangement from carnival? what should she do? where should she go?

Rumour is a 3 day cruise to nowhere since they have to cancelled Cozumel. They will be able to board tomorrow at 7AM and they will be refunded 1 day of the cruise and missed excusions booked through Carnival.

Rumour is a 3 day cruise to nowhere since they have to cancelled Cozumel. They will be able to board tomorrow at 7AM and they will be refunded 1 day of the cruise and missed excusions booked through Carnival.

The above is true...plus they get 20% off any future cruises and $20 onboard credit for refunded fees from the Port of Cozumel. What an inconvenience to ALL concerned. The passengers can also opt to cancel and rebook this cruise. I talked to a good friend last night who is a TA and he said it was a nightmare in Galveston. People were wandering the streets with their luggage trying to find lodging. Hotels were $200+ per night. The TA couldn't even find hotels for guests they had booked on the cruise. Plus, many that booked excursions personally and not through the cruiseline were unable to get refunds. :(

my friend is supposed to get on carnival ecstasy today, but there's dense fog in the area and she can't get on the ship, does anyone know what is the latest status? any chance of refund or hotel arrangement from carnival? what should she do? where should she go?

Is JFK having any problems today and in future? What do they do?

The above is true...plus they get 20% off any future cruises and $20 onboard credit for refunded fees from the Port of Cozumel. What an inconvenience to ALL concerned. The passengers can also opt to cancel and rebook this cruise. I talked to a good friend last night who is a TA and he said it was a nightmare in Galveston. People were wandering the streets with their luggage trying to find lodging. Hotels were $200+ per night. The TA couldn't even find hotels for guests they had booked on the cruise. Plus, many that booked excursions personally and not through the cruiseline were unable to get refunds. :(

They also got their current cruise pro-rated to get credit for the missed day.

How do they get the refund from Carnival? What about the 20% discount? My friend didn't get anything while on the ship...

Most likely Carnival will mail them a coupon for their 20% and also send them the refund or put it back on their credit card. Your friend needs to contact their TA or Carnival and explore the refund policy a little further. I'm sure that Guest Services on the Ecstasy were a little overwhelmed on that trip. My TA (also a good friend) was in constant contact with Carnival during that sailing for her clients. She also was able to secure a 90% refund for some excursions that had been privately booked. When the passengers had contacted the excursion company they had been told "no refund!" This is one of the reasons I always use a TA!

• 2 weeks later...

I was stuck in Galveston for days in the fog. But at least we were able to board the Voyager during that time. We finally left Galveston around noon of day 3. RCL offered a full cruise credit to anyone who left this ship by 11pm of day 2, and 811 guest took them up on the offer. I should have too.

Plus the first day out and last day back to Galveston the weather was too cold to enjoy the pool and outside decks. For 7 day cruises, I'll fly to FL from now on!

I was stuck in Galveston for days in the fog. But at least we were able to board the Voyager during that time. We finally left Galveston around noon of day 3. RCL offered a full cruise credit to anyone who left this ship by 11pm of day 2, and 811 guest took them up on the offer. I should have too.

Plus the first day out and last day back to Galveston the weather was too cold to enjoy the pool and outside decks. For 7 day cruises, I'll fly to FL from now on!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

And Florida does'nt have fog?

Give us a break!

If my memory is correct, the same weekend as yours

the entire coast to Florida was fogged in also.

Where ever there is water there can be fog.

We have had all kinds of problems in Ft Lauderdale and Miami Florida too.

I won't go into those issues.

Drive on down!

Save your airfare money!

"Attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

And Florida does'nt have fog?

Give us a break!

If my memory is correct, the same weekend as yours

the entire coast to Florida was fogged in also.

Where ever there is water there can be fog.

We have had all kinds of problems in Ft Lauderdale and Miami Florida too.

I won't go into those issues.

Drive on down!

Save your airfare money!

"Attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure"

Very true! The entire coast of Florida was fogged in...the fog was everywhere...that's just the chance you take when you choose a cruise vacation and I personally think it's worth the chance. My daughter lives on the coast in Florida and they have many, many foggy days! I think it happens less in the summer here in the Galveston area because it gets so hot that the sun burns the fog off sooner. Fog is certainly not a weather event that only happens in Galveston!

Archived