Dress Code for Formal Nights?

calgarycruiser

We are booked to cruise on the Carnival Valor in February 2005. This is our first cruise. Since we both have to dress up for our 'day jobs', our idea of a vacation is usually shorts, t-shirts and sandals. While dressing up for a meal doesn't really appeal to us, is the meal served on these nights worth it? Also, would a dress shirt and tie plus dress pants pass? :)

You will see a wide range of attire in the dining room on formal night as well as the other nights. Personally, I like to dress up as I don't get to in my "normal" life. My DH wore dress pants, dress shirt, and a tie on our last cruise but it was only a three night. He has also worn a suit and just taken the jacket off as soon as we sit down. You can always dine in the casual dining room--buffet line, etc., if you really want to avoid the formal night.

I cruised on Carnival over and over again. You will find people dress all kinds of ways during formal evening. But the majority of men do wear suits and ties....the first formal evening I wear a gown and the second a black cocktail dress.

You will find many people such as myself dress down after dinner on Carnival. I must suggest do not miss the formal dinners, the pleasure of cruising is also having the pleasure of dining in the dining room. You will not get the same quality (less quality) up at the lido buffet for dinner and you certainly will not get the service.

If your husband truely will not wear a suit, at least he should have dress pants, shirt and tie on and don't worry about what others think. There are a very few men that do not wear suits, but he may feel better wearing a suit as most men do.

I always hated the idea of dressing up for a cruise but when I finally did go on a cruise we did enjoy dressing up and having professional photos taken. We never get the chance to have family pictures taken and this is a great opportunity. You don't have to stay dressed up all evening. You could wear a pretty sparkly top with dress pants if you don't want a gown or a nice black dress - long or short. I did not see anyone on the three cruises I have been on not dressed up. I am sure I didn't see everyone though. It really isn't bad to dress up. The food is always the best that night too - lobster, filet mingon or prime rib. I wouldn't miss it.

Cotton, your post made me remember a funny experience we had. On our first cruise on the Celebration we packed a suit for dh and an ankle length velvet dress for myself for the first formal night - we decided ahead of time that we would eat on the Lido deck for the second formal night, since it was the day we were in Cozumel and we thought we would probably not be up to dressing up. Well, we got back to the ship around 5:30, showered, and threw on some casual clothing to head to the Lido Deck. We got there right at 6, only to discover that the Lido Deck was NOT serving food at all. No sandwiches, no buffet, NOTHING. We ran back to our stateroom, Greg put on a polo shirt and his blazer and I threw on the dress I wore on the day of embarkation, and we RAN to the dining room. It turned out that we weren't all that out of place, I guess we weren't the only ones who weren't up to "formal wear" after 8 hours in Cozumel. I was so embarrassed, though, and in retrospect we should have just ordered some room service. If only Carnival offered the dinner menu for room service, that would be AWESOME (great when you are stuck in the cabin with a napping child, too, as I discovered later on the Holiday).

You're kidding!?!? Not doubting you, friend; just never heard of Lido not having any food, port days or not. Maybe you had sunstroke and didn't notice any food???:D :D :D

Even though I have all meals in the dining room (early seating), I've later walked through Lido food area, and it's always been in full swing every evening. Wonder how they would explain that to all the folks who wanted to stay in shorts that evening? So strange.........

Cotton - This was in 1998 on the Celebration, and I assure you, the Lido Deck was NOT serving dinner. Maybe this was something they tried out, but found didn't work? I have noticed on subsequent cruises that there WAS food on the Lido Deck every evening. I tell you, though, we'll be packing 2 formal outfits for all future 7 day cruises JUST IN CASE :-)

Since I'm a tux guy on formal nites, I won't go into following (or not) the dress code. What I wonder about are those that say they have to dress for work so they want to be casual on vacation. I had to wear the 3 piece for over 30 years of my "working life" (no comments please:D). And never gave dressing for a formal dinner a negative thought. That's the dress code so the tux goes on. Plus the wife loves it. What I wonder is why dressing for work is a negative. I found early on that I bought clothes that were as inexpensive as possible and really didn't like dressing for work either. Then I started to spend more money on dress clothes and discovered that comfort improved to the point where there were no thoughts about dressing up for work. If nothing else buy GOOD shirts that fit and the problem may go away. Once I was comfortable in suits n ties, comfort on vacation was a non-issue.

Yours for what its worth.

Dan

I've seen people wear just about everything on "formal" nights, but my favortie deviation is the dark suit with a Hawaiian shirt on underneath, we sailed on the Triumph in April, I wore that on the first formal night, then on the second I'd guess 20-25 other guys followed suit!

Archived