Beer on NCL

BJDownUnder

You know what Canadians say about American beer?

It's like having sex in a canoe....

F***ing close to water.

BTW I really enjoy Pacifico when I'm down south away from Molson brews...;):D

F***ing close to water.

Love it.................

F***ing close to water.

Do you actually drink Molson? :eek:

Ah, Molson. That fine South African beer.

great thread !!!! yep the pub is the place to be. give the bass a miss, it's watered gn**s p**s this from a camra member. murphy's is o.k. they have two sorts of dos equis and corona and lite.

the franziskaner is a good wheat beer worth trying.

great thread !!!! yep the pub is the place to be. give the bass a miss, it's watered gn**s p**s this from a camra member. murphy's is o.k. they have two sorts of dos equis and corona and lite.

Wat a minute. Let me unnerstan'. You don't like the Bass, but are geeked about 2 kinds DosXX and Corona? :eek::eek:

Is there a GOOD wheat beer? I mean, truly, is there one that doesn't taste like....wellll, wheat? I have consumed my last wheat beer. Years ago. Not gonna fool me into THAT again!

When you have drunk proper real ale served properly then pasteurised Bass from a fizzy pump is gn**s p**s. At least with some of the bottled beers you might get a halfway drinkable beer that hasn't been too messed up.

Beer selection can be a bit different, depending on itinerary and home port.

You'll see:

Foster's

Coor's Light

Lot's of A-B products

Corona

Dos XX

Stella

Guinness

Boddington's Pub Ale

Franziskaner

Guinness Export Stout

Urquell

Heineken

At the 'English Pub'--name varies by ship, you'll find a couple of taps.

The tap selection has no rhyme or reason as to what's avaible from ship to ship.

Good luck! Obviously, it's a brutal selection.

Luddite - did you know that Stella, a large share of corona, becks, bass, labatts and many others are all owned by A-B/inbev??? They are corporate monsters! ;)

Luddite - did you know that Stella, a large share of corona, becks, bass, labatts and many others are all owned by A-B/inbev??? They are corporate monsters! ;)

Yes, I knew that!

I posted what the ship had, recalling from memory. That ain't particularly a list of stuff I'll drink, nor recommend. Lots of ickyness there.

I like hearing when some fool says "gimme an American beer" and the barkeep hands him a Sam Adam's or a Yeungling. Those being the two largest American owned breweries. :D

Yes, I knew that!

I posted what the ship had, recalling from memory. That ain't particularly a list of stuff I'll drink, nor recommend. Lots of ickyness there.

I like hearing when some fool says "gimme an American beer" and the barkeep hands him a Sam Adam's or a Yeungling. Those being the two largest American owned breweries. :D

Yuengling and Sam Adams are the two largest Privately owned american beer companies. Inbev/A-B have a 40% market share and A-B at least, before recent configurations was considered an American company. Coors and Miller also make up the 35%(?) of the beer market in the US. The rest are the truly micro companies.

I was into Lagunitas recently, but I've been banned from drinking them because they use extracts. Deschutes is marvelous as is Bend Brewing. And if you have a chance, give Double Mountain from Hood River, OR a try. They are amazing. If you must go east coast, I suppose DogFish head will do. :)

Yuengling and Sam Adams are the two largest Privately owned american beer companies. Inbev/A-B have a 40% market share and A-B at least, before recent configurations was considered an American company. Coors and Miller also make up the 35%(?) of the beer market in the US. The rest are the truly micro companies.

I was into Lagunitas recently, but I've been banned from drinking them because they use extracts. Deschutes is marvelous as is Bend Brewing. And if you have a chance, give Double Mountain from Hood River, OR a try. They are amazing. If you must go east coast, I suppose DogFish head will do. :)

A-B and MillerCoor's are not American owned. Belgian and Soth African, respectively.

I'm a BIG fan of Coal Porter out of Maine. Don't know the brewery. I don't live where I can get a lot of variety from micros.

I do like a lot of stuff that I've had from Bell's, which I can't get locally.

Coal Porter from Atlantic Brewing, Bar Harbor, is a great beer. You'd like Smuttynose's (NH) Robust Porter as well. The options on NCL won't satisfy real beer geeks until/unless they realize that just about any decent beer tastes better on a ship.

Coal Porter from Atlantic Brewing, Bar Harbor, is a great beer. You'd like Smuttynose's (NH) Robust Porter as well. The options on NCL won't satisfy real beer geeks until/unless they realize that just about any decent beer tastes better on a ship.

I hear ya.

On NCL Spirit is where i got the Coal Porter. I was geeked and thought it would be a regular on NCL ships. A year later, on the Dawn, I found out the story. They will get a local beer from the homeport. The Coal Porter was left over from the Boston-based summer runs.

No Smuttynose here. No Edmund Fitzgerald here.

No Bad Elmer's Porter here. No Bell's Double Cream Stout here. No Mackeson's anywhere--except Tortola.

Well you get the drift.

The ship is too busy selling Coor's Light and BudLightLime to worry about people who drink beer. It's sad. I don't see it changing. Ever.

I hear ya.

On NCL Spirit is where i got the Coal Porter. I was geeked and thought it would be a regular on NCL ships. A year later, on the Dawn, I found out the story. They will get a local beer from the homeport. The Coal Porter was left over from the Boston-based summer runs.

No Smuttynose here. No Edmund Fitzgerald here.

No Bad Elmer's Porter here. No Bell's Double Cream Stout here. No Mackeson's anywhere--except Tortola.

Well you get the drift.

The ship is too busy selling Coor's Light and BudLightLime to worry about people who drink beer. It's sad. I don't see it changing. Ever.

If they pick up beers from places they stop at, why don't they ever pick up Dead Guy from Rogue? They stop in Astoria which is a stone's throw away!

See - this is exactly why I think I should be able to bring on my own beer.

If they pick up beers from places they stop at, why don't they ever pick up Dead Guy from Rogue? They stop in Astoria which is a stone's throw away!

See - this is exactly why I think I should be able to bring on my own beer.

Well, two reasons, re the Dead Guy. It ain't all THAT wonderful and it's pricey, like everything Rogue sells.

The pick-ups from the HOME port for an itinerary (not every place they stop) is ONE item. I've seen Shiner Bock when leaving from Houston.

I've heard about something from Alaska when they homeport out of the NW and go to Alaska.

I certainly understand why they don't allow adult beverages to be brought aboard.

I agree with one of the statements about there is no such thing is bad beer... unless you made it yourself.... lmao.... there is certain taste that works for certain beer drinkers.... if you are looking for beer that gives a buzz then there is everything under the sun and they can be quite nasty the next morning... but if you are looking for a relaxing brew with your meal the range can also be unlimited. Remember the brewmiesters are trying to play with our tastebuds and work with the food that we indulge with our brew. Yes a Guinness with a hotdog just does not work for me but with a good steak dinner... look out.

Bjdownunder: I am cruising on the Star in April and just yesterday did a bar set up for one of our cruising partners, my son-in-law. I asked the group event coordinator what kind of beer the Star had available and she didn't give me a run down of the brands. But, I asked if she had any pale ale and she did. It was Coopers Original Pale Ale. I have never had this brand before but am hoping it is like Sierra Pale Ale which is what my son in law drinks. I think for six beers it was something like $36. Hope this helps.

Bjdownunder: I am cruising on the Star in April and just yesterday did a bar set up for one of our cruising partners, my son-in-law. I asked the group event coordinator what kind of beer the Star had available and she didn't give me a run down of the brands. But, I asked if she had any pale ale and she did. It was Coopers Original Pale Ale. I have never had this brand before but am hoping it is like Sierra Pale Ale which is what my son in law drinks. I think for six beers it was something like $36. Hope this helps.

It's from Australia. It is probably bottle-conditioned. If it is, he won't want to drink it from the bottle-he'll need a glass. It is doubtful that it will be similar to his Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

FWIW, i've not seen it on a ship, so good on ya!

Thank you Luddite. Quick question, what is bottle conditioned? I will give son in law the tip on the glass too.

Effectively, it means it is still fermenting in the bottle. It ain't ready to drink when bottled. There is active yeast in there which will finish the brew and usually provide carbonation. The Cooper's will be more carbonated than the SNPA,maybe. Probably.

He'll want to decant thae bottle and leave the sediment in the bottle.

If he's a beer geek, he'll probably know all this.:)

This isn't lawn-mowing, session beer.

Cooper Pale Ale, not a bad drop, from South Australia, a little weak for my liking but it’s a good start

Make sure you don’t finish the whole bottle as they tend to have a fair bit of yeast sediment in the bottom

Archived