silly question for some...

cupidsarrrow

Hi there, okay I have a very silly question for all of you that have cruises will NCL. I have cruised, 8 so far, but all with carnival. We chose our up coming cruise on the jewel because of the ports and needed to see a change with other cruise lines. With that being said, this cruise is a non formal night type cruise experience. So here is my question, when people go out for dinner in the evening what are they wearing? Is it the same no jeans or shorts in the dining rooms or is it casual comfy, semi formal?? My husband loves the idea because he doesnt have to as he puts it " put on the monkey suit" for dinner, but myself I enjoy dressing up cause where we live we dont get that kind of opportunity to dress up.

I probably wont bring my fancy dresses but I would like to wear a cocktail dress but, on that note I dont want to be more dressed up than others and look out of place. Any advice??

Hi there, okay I have a very silly question for all of you that have cruises will NCL. I have cruised, 8 so far, but all with carnival. We chose our up coming cruise on the jewel because of the ports and needed to see a change with other cruise lines. With that being said, this cruise is a non formal night type cruise experience. So here is my question, when people go out for dinner in the evening what are they wearing? Is it the same no jeans or shorts in the dining rooms or is it casual comfy, semi formal?? My husband loves the idea because he doesnt have to as he puts it " put on the monkey suit" for dinner, but myself I enjoy dressing up cause where we live we dont get that kind of opportunity to dress up.

I probably wont bring my fancy dresses but I would like to wear a cocktail dress but, on that note I dont want to be more dressed up than others and look out of place. Any advice??

That's the beauty of freestyle crusing. You won't look out of place in a cocktail dress.

As said, that is the beauty of FreeStyle cruising. You are going to see a mix match of all levels of dress. You will see a few in dress shorts, some in jeans, some in dockers, etc etc etc. Your husband should dress what is comfortable for him and he will fit right in and have a good time. Same with you. Dress up or not, you won't be out of place. I hope you have a great cruise on NCL. So far it is our favorite line overall. Please come back and tell us all about your cruise and what you thought of it. And feel free in the meantime to ask any questions. 8-)

Most people clean up and put on different clothes than they wore during the day. But no one looks at you funny if you choose to get really dressed up and they don't. And vice versa. Everyone is pretty much respectful of others' choices of how to dress.

The policy USED to be a collared shirt for men (this could be a polo shirt not a dress shirt necessarily) in the evening. However, there is a post on this board close to this one called "Dress Code Alert" stating what the NCL website is now saying about evening dining room attire. Read that and see if your husband is pleased.

As others on that thread note: the captain has the last word, and if he says no jeans in one dining room, that's the rule on that ship. So there is not yet total consistency in anything except that you may wear what you like, hopefully appropriate to the setting.

Not a silly question at all. In fact, it gets asked here every few days, or some version of it.

Again, not silly. But, you can help everybody out with more descriptive subject lines in the future.

Enjoy.

The referenced post "Dress Code Alert" actually talked about what was in the new big NCL brochure, not what was on the current NCL website.

Here is what is on the NCL website (FAQ section)

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style. (emphasis is mine)

Here is what was reported to be in the brochure:

At night, it's relaxed all over the ship. When you're ready for dinner, all of our restaurants allow dress shorts but, of course, guys are welcome to wear jeans or pants, as well. Same for women. Dress shorts are fine but so are slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. We just want you to be comfortable. But remember to pack a sweater - air conditioning can be chilly.

Again, not unusual for communications from NCL to conflict with each other...no way for us to know which is the correct policy.

So here is my question, when people go out for dinner in the evening what are they wearing? Is it the same no jeans or shorts in the dining rooms or is it casual comfy, semi formal?? My husband loves the idea because he doesnt have to as he puts it " put on the monkey suit" for dinner, but myself I enjoy dressing up cause where we live we dont get that kind of opportunity to dress up.

You've gotten the scoop from everyone else. But I do disagree with something. It seems like most NCL'ers don't like to dress up (their choice, that's fine) so if you dress up, you may well feel out of place. Speaking for only myself, I feel out of place if I over dress or under dress.

YMMV

The others here have done a good job of explaining, but I also wanted to add that on NCL there's usually at least one 'Dress Up or Not' night when some folks dress up for dinner and the evening more than they do on other nights. Your husband would still be fine that night with casual wear but that would be a good night for you to wear something dressier if you wish. But as others here have said, you'd never be out of place in a cocktail dress, nor would your husband be out of place dressed casually, restaurant casual, not beach casual. :)

Thank you all for your explainations! I feel quite a bit better, I was going to bring my more dressier dresses anyways just in case. But like the one poster stated if I see no one in dressier dresses I myself would feel out of place. On that note though, I LOVE dressing up my husband is more to polo shirt and slacks, so I think we will be fine bringing what I stated. My husband is excited that some of my shoes wont make this trip because they go with the fancier outfits :) Very excited and thanks again!!

It seems like most NCL'ers don't like to dress up (their choice, that's fine) so if you dress up, you may well feel out of place.

I don't think there's any basis for saying that. Many of us don't see reason to "dress up" for dinner on a mass-market cruise ship, so we choose not to. That doesn't mean we "don't like to dress up" when there is a real occasion to do so. If more expensive cruise lines like Azamara and Oceania specify casual attire, seems to me that should be perfectly appropriate for mass-market lines like RCCL, HAL, Celebrity, and NCL.

That said, no one will feel "out of place" by wearing more formal attire (i.e., cocktail dress, jacket, tie, etc.) on NCL.

When planning your vacation, you plan with the intention of just getting away to relax. That is truly the atmosphere on an NCL cruise. Yeah I know...it's nice to get all dolled up with the nice heels. But, realistically you will most likely head back to your room after dinner to get out of those heels (especially when your not used to it). Some people get really dressed up and others in resort casual. (I have never witnessed anyone dressed like a slob).

But the one thing that has always stood out for me, is the great people you meet on NCL ships. Dressed up or down. I'm from New York City, so I've seen all kinds of people. Be rest assured that NCL attracts some of the nicest people you will ever encounter and will leave you with some great memories. Isn't that better than remembering some jerk in an expensive suit pretending to be something that he's not.

Enjoy your trip and dress as you please. Everyone is there for the same reason!:)

I don't think there's any basis for saying that. Many of us don't see reason to "dress up" for dinner on a mass-market cruise ship, so we choose not to. That doesn't mean we "don't like to dress up" when there is a real occasion to do so. If more expensive cruise lines like Azamara and Oceania specify casual attire, seems to me that should be perfectly appropriate for mass-market lines like RCCL, HAL, Celebrity, and NCL.

*SIGH*

Okay, it's my personal obsevation from what I've seen on board, and read here here that "Most NCL don't like to dress up" while on an NCL ship. My bad, since we are on a cruising board, I thought that was implied.

My husband & I are not "dress up" people. We are most comfortable in casual slacks. However, I love seeing everyone in their dressy clothes and often remark how beautiful they look. None of us seem out of place because it's our own vacation & we choose what to wear. Just be you.

What's sad is that people don't care how they look, I don't get that at all. I'm much more comfortable in shorts and a T-shirt but I wouldn't wear that to a nice restaurant. We dress for dinner when we are eating with other people no matter if we are going to a nice restaurant at home or on vacation, that's they the way we were raised...and we aren't old. It's a ritual I suppose.

Plus I don't want to look at someone's hairy legs while I eat :p

To the original poster. I have been on 3 going on 4 cruises on NCL. On every cruise, on the Dream going to the Western Caribbean, on the Star going to the Mexican Riviera, on the Star again going to Alaska, I saw everything in the dining rooms from long formal gowns and tuxes, to cocktail dresses and suits & ties, to nice dresses and polo shirts and slacks, to, well you get the picture. You can where whatever you want within reason and not feel out of place. Soon, according to what is being spread around these boards, your DH may even be able to wear nice dress shorts to the dinning room. There is no reason (other than your own personal feelings) to ever feel uncomfortable with what you choose to wear as long as you are neat and clean. Wear your cocktail dress, I used to. These days though I usually wear nice jeans or capris with a dressy top and heels or dressy sandals. I have never felt out of place. However if I got the urge to wear a cocktail dress again, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable in that either. I think you should dress the way you want. That's the beauty of FREESTYLE!:D

DRESS-UP or NOT ANY nite of the cruise...YOUR CHOICE and YOU will NOT feel out of place as OTHERs will be doing the same!!!

ONE of the MAIN reasons my last 6 coming up on 7 & 8 have been with NCL its FREESTYLE...WELCOME to it and RELAX and ENJOY and do WHATEVER:D

i HOPE you get Chicken Cordon Bleu in the MDR...we did on our cruise...first time and it was a WONDERFUL surprise...MY FAV:)

the 'freestyle' experience is exactly why i and my boyf have chosen ncl for our first cruise ... we both have different clothing styles ... i'm just as comfy in (semi) formal wear as he is in jeans and a shirt and this i think is the principle behind the concept.

ncl seem to recognise that everyone is an individual with individual tastes :D

Just returned off the Pearl yesterday (3/13). As the long string of prior posts indicates, there is a wide variety of dress in the evenings. For men: a few dinner jackets, some sport coats, many polo shirts. For women: few long dresses, many cocktail dresses, may slacks.

Please don't try shorts & t-shirt in dinning rooms. Fortunately, we saw one man turned away at the door, when he tried to enter one of the MDR's for dinner.

• 2 weeks later...

been riding on "Freestyle " Cruises with NCL for just about a decade now - a dozen or so weeks worth - for the most part in the main dining rooms - yes - no jeans or shorts - guys collar shirts

but more and more there is only a small percentage of guys wearing jackets

of course, you can dress to theh nines if ya liek - there's always the photo group doing their thing - the last three cruises I brought the jacket and tie routine and never once used them

the other numerous dining venues for the most part are resort casual ...

What's sad is that people don't care how they look, I don't get that at all. I'm much more comfortable in shorts and a T-shirt but I wouldn't wear that to a nice restaurant. We dress for dinner when we are eating with other people no matter if we are going to a nice restaurant at home or on vacation, that's they the way we were raised...and we aren't old. It's a ritual I suppose.

Plus I don't want to look at someone's hairy legs while I eat :p

Well, speaking just for myself of course ... I don't think you should single out the women like that. Men's legs aren't always the best either you know.:D

If more expensive cruise lines like Azamara and Oceania specify casual attire, seems to me that should be perfectly appropriate for mass-market lines like RCCL, HAL, Celebrity, and NCL.

Probably that is because the patrons of luxury cruiselines are normally in business attire, and have plenty of events to attend where they dress up, so when on vacation, they want a break from it.

On the other hand, there are many on the mass market lines that rarely have a reason to dress up, so likewise, they want a chance to change their norm, and enjoy dressing up while on vacation.

NCL's freestyle is great, in that whatever you're situation, you can feel comfortable in your choice. And the market proves that NCL is correct, in that the other lines are relaxing their former formal codes.

Archived