1st time to Port of Miami

MrsPete

We're spending the night in Ft. Lauderdale (because it's cheaper), then driving to Port of Miami for a Sunday morning departure. I've only sailed from Port Canaveral in the past and would appreciate any help with these details:

1. I'm thinking of leaving Ft. Lauderdale around 10:00 and anticipate arriving at the port around 11:00 . . . allow 30 minutes to get the luggage out and the car parked, and I'm thinking we'd enter the terminal around 11:30. Does this sound good for Miami?

2. From which terminal does Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas sail? As you approach the terminals, are they clearly marked?

3. Looking at a map of Port of Miami, I see that there's only one parking deck and the terminals are spread out -- so I'm assuming that shuttles are involved. Can DH drop me, four teens, and the luggage at the terminal . . . and then go manage the parking and shuttle on his own while I take care of the luggage and get into line?

4. Surely there's no charge for the shuttle -- not when they're charging $20/day to park. Please tell me I'm right!

5. It's $20/day to park -- no tax, right? So if I have $140 cash in an envelope for a one-week cruise, we'll be able to "sail" right through the parking deck entry, right?

THANKS!

We're spending the night in Ft. Lauderdale (because it's cheaper), then driving to Port of Miami for a Sunday morning departure. I've only sailed from Port Canaveral in the past and would appreciate any help with these details:

1. I'm thinking of leaving Ft. Lauderdale around 10:00 and anticipate arriving at the port around 11:00 . . . allow 30 minutes to get the luggage out and the car parked, and I'm thinking we'd enter the terminal around 11:30. Does this sound good for Miami?

2. From which terminal does Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas sail? As you approach the terminals, are they clearly marked?

3. Looking at a map of Port of Miami, I see that there's only one parking deck and the terminals are spread out -- so I'm assuming that shuttles are involved. Can DH drop me, four teens, and the luggage at the terminal . . . and then go manage the parking and shuttle on his own while I take care of the luggage and get into line?

4. Surely there's no charge for the shuttle -- not when they're charging $20/day to park. Please tell me I'm right!

5. It's $20/day to park -- no tax, right? So if I have $140 cash in an envelope for a one-week cruise, we'll be able to "sail" right through the parking deck entry, right?

THANKS!

I was just on a cruise from POM. I had a friend give us a ride but I can answer some of your questions. We arrived around noon which was perfect. Liberty I saw or atleast it was a Royal Ship, was the first dock as you entered. However, it is all clearly marked with big signs. The port is actually just one straight road. You should not have any issues. I saw a big parking garage right outside of this dock in which the Royal ship was at. I don't know the parking rates since my friend took us.

THANKS!

We sailed on the Liberty in January and going on the Navigator this week. Port of Miami is well marked. There are big signs indicating where your ship is berthed. Your DH just needs to pull over at that Terminal; the porters will direct him over; you and your family and luggage get out and the porter will take your luggage. Your DH just has to follow the signs to the Parking Garage and then it is a quick walk for him back to the Terminal.

Sunday morning is a great time to drive from Lauderdale to Miami; your timing sounds good. Do print out a map, e.g. Google or Mapquest to help you navigate from the Interstate to the Port.

The parking charge in January for our 7 night cruise was $140. total; we paid by credit card.

Have a wonderful cruise; the Liberty is awesome. Photos in the link below.

Kathy

Without traffic, it takes us under 50 minutes from our home in north Fort Lauderdale to the port. If you are staying near the airport, it should only take 40 minutes. There may be a security line to get in, and they usually start boarding just before noon.

When you say "surely there's no charge for the shuttle"..........what shuttle are you talking about? If you are staying in a Ft Lauderdale hotel, I doubt they would have a free shuttle to Miami.

I believe OP refers to a shuttle between the pier's garage and the ship's port facility.

Sunday morning is a great time to drive from Lauderdale to Miami; your timing sounds good. Do print out a map, e.g. Google or Mapquest to help you navigate from the Interstate to the Port.

I-95 South to NW 8th Street exit. Turn left on NW 5th Street and follow it directly into the port. You will see ship "pictograph" signs along the way.

We are cruising out of Miami. I have been checking airfare and it seems like it might be cheaper to fly in and out of FLL. Is this worth it? We would have to rent a car and then return it to the Miami airport. And then on the return trip, what would you recommend to get back to FLL after the cruise?:)

• 2 months later...

Go to Google maps.

Search Port of Miami.

If you go to satellite view, and zoom in, you will see the Liberty of the Seas.

She's the north-western most ship in port. The one with the cantilevered hot tubs.

The parking garage for her is right across the street

We are cruising out of Miami. I have been checking airfare and it seems like it might be cheaper to fly in and out of FLL. Is this worth it? We would have to rent a car and then return it to the Miami airport. And then on the return trip, what would you recommend to get back to FLL after the cruise?:)

Google SAS Shuttle. They have shuttle vans that run from FLL airport to the Port of Miami (and back, after your cruise). The cost is $15 pp each way, $13 pp for groups of 4 or more. We are doing this in a few weeks. Tried the car rental route as we do for cruises out of Port Canaveral, but for this (fly into FLL, cruise from POM) it seems futile. It's a long, expensive cab ride from MIA just to return a rental! Not wort it!

Google SAS Shuttle. They have shuttle vans that run from FLL airport to the Port of Miami (and back, after your cruise). The cost is $15 pp each way, $13 pp for groups of 4 or more. We are doing this in a few weeks. Tried the car rental route as we do for cruises out of Port Canaveral, but for this (fly into FLL, cruise from POM) it seems futile. It's a long, expensive cab ride from MIA just to return a rental! Not wort it!

We did what the above poster suggests and it works like a dream. If you are staying over in Miami the night before a cab from most of the Miami hotels is very inexpensive.

Archived