Driving Tour Of St Croix

injunjoe

Hi! I will be traveling solo to St. Croix, not on a cruise but a land stay. I will be renting a car for 2 of the 5 days I am there and would like to do a driving tour of the island one day. I am interested in any "must-see" things with a healthy dose of beach stops and hopefully checking out the tidal pools. Does anyone have suggestions for a driving route leaving from the north (Hibiscus Resort)? What are your opinions of the best beaches, scenery, etc? Will I need a 4 WD vehicle to get access to some of the best sites?

Any and all info is really appreciated.

See you next month!!

Joe in St. Louis

Hi! I will be traveling solo to St. Croix, not on a cruise but a land stay. I will be renting a car for 2 of the 5 days I am there and would like to do a driving tour of the island one day. I am interested in any "must-see" things with a healthy dose of beach stops and hopefully checking out the tidal pools. Does anyone have suggestions for a driving route leaving from the north (Hibiscus Resort)? What are your opinions of the best beaches, scenery, etc? Will I need a 4 WD vehicle to get access to some of the best sites?

Any and all info is really appreciated.

See you next month!!

Joe in St. Louis

Joe,

It would be very hard to fit everything into just one day of driving, however some particular stops you may want to make....

Leaving from Hibiscus, travel West and follow north shore road to cane bay. great beach. grab some breakfast at one of the resturaunts along the beach. contimue west and you will end up at Carambola beach resort. another great beach. snorkeling is really good on the west end of the beach by the rocks. go up and over "the beast" and pass the golf course to go either along scenic road or down mahogany road to the rainforest. Make sure to stop at The domino club for the beer drinking pigs! rainbow beach is very nice on the west end and has facilitys and a resturaunt where you can grab lunch. head into Frederiksted (the waterfront is beautiful) and if there is a cruise ship in port there are many vendors that you can walk around and look at. head back east and stop off at whim plantation, and the cruzan rum factory. take a side road to drive by the hess oil refinary. kinda cool. you will end up back in christiansted.

The other spiot you may want to see is point udall. it is the furthest point east that the US owns. it is all the way east on the island, so not really in rout of the driving tour i have described above.

Of course these are all just suggestions, but it can give you a starting point.

You mentioned the tide pools at Annaly bay. There is a hiking trail from Carambola (about a 45min. hike) and its a really great place to spend an afternoon.

As far as seeing the best sites with 4WD. check out a jeep or ATV tour. i wouldnt recomend going 4 wheeling with a rental, although you wouldnt be the first.

We are going to be on St. Croix at the end of August. I have heard of a Heritage Trail driving tour and am trying to figure it out. I have been unable to get a map for it. Does anyone know if this is doable in one day or should it be broken up over several days? Are the tide pools a whole afternoon or just an hour or two? Is there swimming at the tide pools? Any other hints or tips would be appreciated. There is a lot of information out there about St. John/St. Thomas but not so much about St. Croix. I am super excited about seeing this island the more I hear about it.

We are going to be on St. Croix at the end of August. I have heard of a Heritage Trail driving tour and am trying to figure it out. I have been unable to get a map for it. Does anyone know if this is doable in one day or should it be broken up over several days? Are the tide pools a whole afternoon or just an hour or two? Is there swimming at the tide pools? Any other hints or tips would be appreciated. There is a lot of information out there about St. John/St. Thomas but not so much about St. Croix. I am super excited about seeing this island the more I hear about it.

Heritage trail is a good self guided tour. you can get more information here http://heritagetrails.stcroixlandmarks.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/236/MenuGroup/Heritage+Trail+Maps.htm

The tide pools can be an entire afternoon or shorter if you like. keep in mind it takes about 45 minutes to hike it one way. The swimming is actually dont in the tide pools. they are the size of a small pool and about 8' deep at the far end.

Also for good infor on St Croix check out gotostcroix.com and visitstcroix.com

Heritage trail is a good self guided tour. you can get more information here http://heritagetrails.stcroixlandmarks.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/236/MenuGroup/Heritage+Trail+Maps.htm

The tide pools can be an entire afternoon or shorter if you like. keep in mind it takes about 45 minutes to hike it one way. The swimming is actually dont in the tide pools. they are the size of a small pool and about 8' deep at the far end.

Also for good infor on St Croix check out gotostcroix.com and visitstcroix.com

I will check the websites out. Thank you.

Archived