Breakfast and Lunch in the Formal Dining Room

DeepThinker

We are cruising on the Celebrity Equinox April 9, 2010 for 11 days and are wondering if anyone has used the formal dining room for breakfast and/or lunch? Since we have extra days this time around we are looking forward to experiencing more of the ship. Normally we use room service or the buffet for breadfast and lunch. We are curious about what the benefits are of using the formal dining room for breakfast and lunch? Obviously service would be a plus but is there anything extra special on the menu?

Please don't discuss this too much as it is one of the great secrets of cruising! My wife and I eat ALL our meals in the MDR and enjoy it immensely. I have never understood why anyone would want to stand in line to get cafeteria food and then have to find themselves a table in a crowded room packed with other people. Our last couple of cruises on the Infinity gave us the chance to meet new people every day as these meals are "open seating" meaning they fill up a table at a time. We get to order exactly what we want and have it cooked to order. We are quite happy to leave the buffet "experience" to those who wish to shovel their food! The staff are somewhat less pressured during these meals too which means we also get to meet some waitstaff other than our usual dinner folks. Given the choice we will always opt for the dining room.

We are cruising on the Celebrity Equinox April 9, 2010 for 11 days and are wondering if anyone has used the formal dining room for breakfast and/or lunch? Since we have extra days this time around we are looking forward to experiencing more of the ship. Normally we use room service or the buffet for breadfast and lunch. We are curious about what the benefits are of using the formal dining room for breakfast and lunch? Obviously service would be a plus but is there anything extra special on the menu?

Welcome to join us on the roll call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=783861&page=46

and facebook http://sv-se.facebook.com/group.php?gid=285620977521

We have a lot discussions going on. Have you signed up for the cruiseconnection party yet?

Lars

We eat all of our meals in the MDR and love it. We almost dislike port days because it means the MDR is closed and we have to suffer at the buffet (kidding, the S-class buffets are pretty great). It's never crowded, the food is always hot and fresh, and it's such a pleasure to be served. You're on vacation, after all! The breakfast menu stays the same from day to day, but there's a variety of choices that it's easy to have something different every day. The vanilla french toast is excellent, too. The lunch menu is different each day, but has a nice variety of options for each course. Try it, it's a great experience.

Please don't discuss this too much as it is one of the great secrets of cruising!

Very funny! The more crowded it will get the less enjoyable it may become. Lunch in the MDR is my favortie meal on the ship. As to what you can wear? I usually wear a polo shirt and shorts or Resort Casual. I dont know the official requirements but I have not needed to dress up more than that for lunch.

We are quite happy to leave the buffet "experience" to those who wish to shovel their food!

I loved the buffet, especially on Solstice. That's pretty pompous of you to insinuate that those who like the buffet "shovel their food!" :eek:

I enjoy breakfast in the Aqua Spa Cafe. It's usually not crowded early in the day when I'm ready for breakfast. Also, it's very quick and allows me to have a light meal and leave room for those great dinners. Lunch is also served. I read on another string that salmon is always available as a lunch selsction.On the Connie, the Aqua Spa Cafe staff is also the Ocean Liners staff, so the service is very good. I don't know if the staffing is the same on the Equinox. Enjoy your cruise.

Agnes

Hi

Sailing very soon (2 Days to go ) and I was wondering, What type of clothes do you wear at lunch in the MDR?

thanks for any help .

jan

You can wear anything but a bathing suit. If I have my swimsuit on I will make sure I have a decent cover up on. If I am using a sarong as a cover up I will wear a t shirt and tie it at the waist. Shorts and a t shirt are fine too.

There is a 'quick' breakfast on the MDR of standard scrambled eggs and so on that you can get. A good option of stepping in, ordering it and getting it very quickly so you can zip out as needed.

But for us, we usually go to the buffet if we have a schedule and 'shovel the food in'. Someone hasn't used the 'buffet' especially on the S-Class which isn't your standard buffet. But if you enjoy service and the nice atmosphere of the Main Dining Room - wouldn't call it the Formal Dining Room because for breakfast/lunch, it isn't formal - try it. We take advantage of on different days.

We also enjoy the Aqua Cafe.

Denny

Very important question: Can we get the WAFFLES in the MDR for breakfast?

this message will self-destruct after being answered

Jenn

Yes, but it's just not the same as getting them from the buffet, hot, right off the griddle then immediately smouthering them with butter and syrup, then blueberry, strawberry, or cherry toppings followed by a large spoonful of whipped cream. All that makes 'em easier to "shovel" down. They are to die for.

Does anyone know if the dinning room is open for lunch on embarkation day? Some lines open the MDR for lunch but steer passengers up to the buffet for sail away. I have never sailed X but I enjoy a sit down lunch in the MDR upon embarkation? Does anyone have an answer?

The only time I would eat breakfast at the MDR would be to try kippers for breakfast but too scaredy-cat to satisfy that curiousity. I know they have it on the MDR but never wanted to have it delivered to the cabin because of the possibility of the fishy smell lingering (though I like lox and bagel). For those from the UK, what is the deal?

Archived