Just off Liberty March 13

1stcruiser1

Very nice ship and a great cruise. Food was very good, no complaints about anything.

I ordered beer and a bottle of vodka from bon voyage and it was in our room when we boarded. We did pack a small bottle of vodka and a six pack. Both made it no problem.

We booked the behind the fun tour as soon as we boarded. The night before the tour we received a letter that said it had been cancelled. We were bummed out about that- we were really looking forward to it.

The night befoer the cruise we stayed at The Courtyard Marriott, Dania.

The rooms were nice. We went next door to the Bass Pro Shops store, that is about the only thing there is to walk to. We had dinner at the seafood restaurant right next door to bass pro shops. It was a very good. You would need a taxi to go elsewhere to have dinner or do anything else.

Half Moon-

This was our first time there and it is as beautiful as everyone has said. I would go back in a minute. Alot of cabanas were not rented, could be because it was warm out but not superhot, although some with us got really burnt!

The lunch served was excellent. The wait for the last of the tenders back was long but we didn't mind, just get in line around 2:30 like they recommend and you shouldn't have a problem.

St. Thomas-

We took an island tour with Air Force One, Poppa Bear. We enjoyed the tour alot, St. Thomas is beautiful. The tour stops at some lookouts, a farm which is a roadside stand where you can buy drinks, the guy makes some drinks from the herbs he grows, he also sells pop and beer. Then on to St. Peters Greathouse. The grounds there are beautiful, again you can buy drinks and snacks there, or something from the giftshop.

We wanted to go to Megans Bay but it was cloudy and overcast so we went to Secret Harbor with some others on our tour. It was nice there but we think we like Megans Bay better. We also stopped at Coki beach to drop some others off, that place looked pretty cool and they said the snorkling was great when we picked them up. We also made a stop at Sapphire beach just to see it, it looked like a nice beach too. I don't think you could go wrong going to any of them. We were glad that we didn't go to Megans because we got to see the other beaches.

San Juan-

We just wanted to walk around here and see the sights. We toured both forts, took pictures of the statues and colorful buildings. We did some shopping, drank some beer and just enjoyed being there. We did get a 6 pack of beer from the CVS across from where the ship docks and it went on without a problem.

Grand Turk-

We had never been here before and boy is it beautiful. The water is such a nice color. We took the Carnival Ultimate snorkle tour and I would highly advise anyone to do it. It is the best snorkling we have ever done. They stopped at 2 different places to snorkle and each one was fantastic. The first stop where you can see where it drops off is amazing, alot of colorful fish that we have never seen before. The second stop was in shallow water and it was beautiful too.

After snorkling, I sent the guys down to Jacks Shack while the girls did some shopping at the pier stores. I was surprised there was that many stores there, from what I had read it seemed like all that was there was a Margaritaville so I was pleasantly surprised. We shopped fast because I wanted to get to Jacks Shack too! When we made it down to Jacks I wished we had more time than we did, It was so nice there, what more do you need, some drinks, good food and good company. We enjoyed our time there, although their dog really liked my son and his friend. The dog swam with them then wanted to play alot- it was pretty funny! I hope to make it back there.

Everglades tour-

We booked this after cruise tour from Carnival, trying to kill some time before our flight. It was very good. We had to meet in the Venetian Palace at 8:00. It was about a half hour ride to where we were stopping. Once there we rode the airboat, sat for a talk about the alligators, then we could wander around the grounds for awhile. There is a restaurant and gift shop there too. After dropping some people off at Miami airport we arrived at the Fort Lauderdale airport around 2:00. It was an interesting tour to do once if you have a later flight.

Very nice ship and a great cruise. Food was very good, no complaints about anything.

I ordered beer and a bottle of vodka from bon voyage and it was in our room when we boarded. We did pack a small bottle of vodka and a six pack. Both made it no problem.

We booked the behind the fun tour as soon as we boarded. The night before the tour we received a letter that said it had been cancelled. We were bummed out about that- we were really looking forward to it.

The night befoer the cruise we stayed at The Courtyard Marriott, Dania.

The rooms were nice. We went next door to the Bass Pro Shops store, that is about the only thing there is to walk to. We had dinner at the seafood restaurant right next door to bass pro shops. It was a very good. You would need a taxi to go elsewhere to have dinner or do anything else.

Half Moon-

This was our first time there and it is as beautiful as everyone has said. I would go back in a minute. Alot of cabanas were not rented, could be because it was warm out but not superhot, although some with us got really burnt!

The lunch served was excellent. The wait for the last of the tenders back was long but we didn't mind, just get in line around 2:30 like they recommend and you shouldn't have a problem.

St. Thomas-

We took an island tour with Air Force One, Poppa Bear. We enjoyed the tour alot, St. Thomas is beautiful. The tour stops at some lookouts, a farm which is a roadside stand where you can buy drinks, the guy makes some drinks from the herbs he grows, he also sells pop and beer. Then on to St. Peters Greathouse. The grounds there are beautiful, again you can buy drinks and snacks there, or something from the giftshop.

We wanted to go to Megans Bay but it was cloudy and overcast so we went to Secret Harbor with some others on our tour. It was nice there but we think we like Megans Bay better. We also stopped at Coki beach to drop some others off, that place looked pretty cool and they said the snorkling was great when we picked them up. We also made a stop at Sapphire beach just to see it, it looked like a nice beach too. I don't think you could go wrong going to any of them. We were glad that we didn't go to Megans because we got to see the other beaches.

San Juan-

We just wanted to walk around here and see the sights. We toured both forts, took pictures of the statues and colorful buildings. We did some shopping, drank some beer and just enjoyed being there. We did get a 6 pack of beer from the CVS across from where the ship docks and it went on without a problem.

Grand Turk-

We had never been here before and boy is it beautiful. The water is such a nice color. We took the Carnival Ultimate snorkle tour and I would highly advise anyone to do it. It is the best snorkling we have ever done. They stopped at 2 different places to snorkle and each one was fantastic. The first stop where you can see where it drops off is amazing, alot of colorful fish that we have never seen before. The second stop was in shallow water and it was beautiful too.

After snorkling, I sent the guys down to Jacks Shack while the girls did some shopping at the pier stores. I was surprised there was that many stores there, from what I had read it seemed like all that was there was a Margaritaville so I was pleasantly surprised. We shopped fast because I wanted to get to Jacks Shack too! When we made it down to Jacks I wished we had more time than we did, It was so nice there, what more do you need, some drinks, good food and good company. We enjoyed our time there, although their dog really liked my son and his friend. The dog swam with them then wanted to play alot- it was pretty funny! I hope to make it back there.

Everglades tour-

We booked this after cruise tour from Carnival, trying to kill some time before our flight. It was very good. We had to meet in the Venetian Palace at 8:00. It was about a half hour ride to where we were stopping. Once there we rode the airboat, sat for a talk about the alligators, then we could wander around the grounds for awhile. There is a restaurant and gift shop there too. After dropping some people off at Miami airport we arrived at the Fort Lauderdale airport around 2:00. It was an interesting tour to do once if you have a later flight.

Thanks for the review :) We are sailing on the Liberty 4/3/2010 .I was a little worried about the booze making it my checked bag ..wish me luck !! This will be my 1st Platinum cruise:D

The wait for the last of the tenders back was long but we didn't mind, just get in line around 2:30 like they recommend and you shouldn't have a problem.

I'll be there in May and itinerary says 9:00 to 5:00, which I believe is the same as yours was. Why do they suggest you are in line for the tender at 2:30? 3:30 maybe, but 2:30 seems a little early. When does the last tender back to the ship run?

Gracias!

I'll be there in May and itinerary says 9:00 to 5:00, which I believe is the same as yours was. Why do they suggest you are in line for the tender at 2:30? 3:30 maybe, but 2:30 seems a little early. When does the last tender back to the ship run?

Gracias!

HMC is Carnival owned. When we docked, we had to wait for the Staff to get off the boat and get everything set up. They also have to clean up and return to the ship before sail away. We find it hard to believe that there isn't anyone that says there, maybe there is, but according to the Liberty staff, they all get back onto the ship and it's empty until the next ship comes in. So I believe the last tender is 4pm. but they tell you that the lines are really long and you will wait at least 1 hr in the sun for the tender.

Have fun, it's an awesome place!! We rented Cabana #10.

Gracias!

I was on the same Liberty cruise , March 6 to March 13th. The last tender leaves at 4:00, they recommend leaving at 2-2:30 if you don;t want to stand in line for a tender, but my husband and I got in line at about 2:15 and didn;t make it back to our rooms until 3:30. There was still a line. However the island is beautiful, the beach the best I have ever seen, so it is well worth it.

Can you tell me the cost of the cabana now? Is there shade anywhere if you don't rent a cabana?

I can't tell you the cost because I didn't rent one, but there are trees that provide shade if you move chairs under them and there are some hammocks in the shade as well

Did this Itinerary in January, Loved the entire trip. I think St. Thomas was my favorite, it is so pretty there!! Be sure to do your shopping before you get to Grand Turks, since Carnival went in to build the Cruise center, the prices are higher. Be careful, the margaritas are almost $20.00 :eek:

I loved that in San Juan, you could hop the public bus for free and it took you around the city and to the forts. We did the Bacardi Factory, a 50 cents ferry ride and a $3.00 taxi ride per person and two free drinks at the factory what a deal, it made for a very inexpensive day!

Your review was great...thank you

The only part I am wondering about is... about you being able to "carry" beer on to the ship.

With all we are hearing about bags being x-rayed, mouth wash and rum runner being taken, it makes me wonder which is true? Are they really checking bags or can you do this and no one really cares what you carry on?

Darlene

Jeafl-

From what I have read, cabanas are around $225.00.

Redwitch13-

About carrying beer on, we had such a small amount in our checked bag and when we went back to the ship at San Juan, maybe they are looking for larger amounts to take? Or it could depend on who is at the scanners? We didn't depend on the beer making it on so if we had gotten it back the last night that would have been fine too. I think both reports of it getting taken or getting through are true, it just depends on your luck I guess!

I was on the same Liberty cruise , March 6 to March 13th. The last tender leaves at 4:00, they recommend leaving at 2-2:30 if you don;t want to stand in line for a tender, but my husband and I got in line at about 2:15 and didn;t make it back to our rooms until 3:30. There was still a line. However the island is beautiful, the beach the best I have ever seen, so it is well worth it.

I would imagine that the time of the line varies as to how many people take the advice to to get in line at 2-2:30. If a lot of people do that then the longer line will be then, and the shorter line later on...

1stcruiser1,

We also will be staying at the Courtyard Marriott next January pre Liberty cruise. I was surprised to hear there was a seafood restrurant near by. Do you remember the name? Also, in walking around, is there a place to get donuts, rolls coffee?

Thanks, Elyse

Makingwaves-

The name of the restaurant is Islamorada Fish Co., it is connected to the Bass Pro Shop store right next to the Marriott. There is a 15% off coupon in one of the pamphlets in the lobby of the Marriott. We had a good dinner there.

The Marriott offers a buffet breakfast for $10.00. There is nothing close to walk to, but the hotel has coffee, cereal, milk, juice and some other items to purchase in the lobby. We were getting to the ship early so we didn't need to have much for breakfast.

So do you recommend not taking the walking tour that carnival has available? Is it that easy to jump on a public bus that takes you up the hill to Old San Juan and the castles and shopping? I read somewhere that you had to wait a long time for bus. Thanks.

So do you recommend not taking the walking tour that carnival has available? Is it that easy to jump on a public bus that takes you up the hill to Old San Juan and the castles and shopping? I read somewhere that you had to wait a long time for bus. Thanks.

When you get of the boat, just walk across the street, turn left and go to the first corner. The is a speed limit size sign that has the Bus stop number on it. You will have cab drivers trying to sell you a ride, just keep walking it is only about a block to the bus stop from the cruise terminal. Check out visit http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/ for a map of the bus line. It was so easy! Now there is a $3.00 fee per fort, or $5.00 for both per person, I think the child fee was less. The bus wait was not that long. You can always walk between the forts if you want a short hike.

Did you know that the trolleys are free? There are 3. The one going to the forts is an open air trolley. The other are air conditioned buses - one going to the shopping area only and the other one going to parts of the shopping and to the forts.

The trolleys come frequently....maybe every 5 or 10 minutes. The trolley # across from the cruise port is #1 ( across the street and to the left ). It was on a side street, either the 1st or 2nd street. You can see the #1 from the main street. I think it was in front of a restaurant but can't be absolutely. You can hop on and off whenever you see a trolley stop. They are clearly posted.

When you get of the boat, just walk across the street, turn left and go to the first corner. The is a speed limit size sign that has the Bus stop number on it. You will have cab drivers trying to sell you a ride, just keep walking it is only about a block to the bus stop from the cruise terminal. Check out visit http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/ for a map of the bus line. It was so easy! Now there is a $3.00 fee per fort, or $5.00 for both per person, I think the child fee was less. The bus wait was not that long. You can always walk between the forts if you want a short hike.

I apologize. I did not see your post before I replied with the same answer.

Archived