Cinco de mayo

a,j,&fam

Well, don't know about cruising, but I spent a week (over May 5) in Cancun at the Moon Palace, and there was absolutely nothing going on there, Cinco de Mayo-wise!! We were very surprised! In Cancun proper, we heard there were "celebrations" at places like Carlos & Charlie's. Mexican Independence Day is in September - that's when the celebration is! Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of Mexico defeating French forces in the 1860's, and not an official federal holiday. Kind of a local battle. Cinco de Mayo (so we were told) seems to be more of an American thing. It's kind of like St. Patrick's Day here with the parades and green beer. I visited Ireland in 2000, and mentioned our massive parades and leprechauns and putting green dye into rivers. They were like, "Whaaat?" I lived in Denver for 35 years, and Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick's Day celebrations were huge! Much more fun here than there!

My wife and I notice that we will be sailing with Carnival on cinco de mayo. We are wondering if anyone knows if Carnival does cinco de mayo celebrations especially on sailings thru Mexico. Thanks

CClMAN... I noticed you're sailing on 5/1

You should join our roll call.

It's a great group!

We have lots of activities planned!

Check it out!

Archived