possible plans-need feedback

beebee

I have been doing lots of research on Bermuda and have enjoyed learning about what people have to say on this board. While it is not a very detailed plan, I have set up a sort of framework for what to do on the 2 1/2 days we will be on Bermuda and just wanted to get some feedback. If anyone can fill in more details or add suggestions that would be helpful.

First day: Take a three hour tour of the island-Get dropped off in Hamilton-take the bus back to King's Wharf

Someone had mentioned that you could walk from beach to beach back to King"s Wharf from Hamilton-is that doable?

Second Day: Take the ferry to St. George-roam around St. George-then take in the beaches and sights in the different parishes nearby-I don't know how much of this can be done by walking and how much by taking a bus

If possible, I would like to take the ferry back to Kings Wharf

Third Day:ship leaves at 4

Probably make this a beach day or to catch up on anything that we missed and absolutely have to see but didn't know about

I know this is a little sketchy, but I am trying to form some idea of how to best do our days in Bermuda

Would love some feedback!!!!

I have been doing lots of research on Bermuda and have enjoyed learning about what people have to say on this board. While it is not a very detailed plan, I have set up a sort of framework for what to do on the 2 1/2 days we will be on Bermuda and just wanted to get some feedback. If anyone can fill in more details or add suggestions that would be helpful.

First day: Take a three hour tour of the island-Get dropped off in Hamilton-take the bus back to King's Wharf

You can also take a bus back but the ferry is a nice ride since you will already have taken a land tour.

Someone had mentioned that you could walk from beach to beach back to King"s Wharf from Hamilton-is that doable?

After you get dropped off in Hamilton, you can take a #7 bus to the south shore beaches. Get off at Warwick Long Bay and walk the path between beaches til you get to Horseshoe Bay. From there, get back on the bus to go back to King's Wharf. I'm not sure if the path starts before Warwick Long Bay.:o

Second Day: Take the ferry to St. George-roam around St. George-then take in the beaches and sights in the different parishes nearby-I don't know how much of this can be done by walking and how much by taking a bus

One of the most popular beaches near SG is Tobacco Bay which is better for snorkling since the beach itself is small and can get crowded. It's walkable from SG or there's a shuttle but a shared cab is quicker and cheaper. The original Swizzle Inn is not far from SC but you need to take a bus which then you would have to continue into Hamilton to get the ferry back to King's Wharf or go back to SG and get the ferry from there.

Third Day:ship leaves at 4

Probably make this a beach day or to catch up on anything that we missed and absolutely have to see but didn't know about

I know this is a little sketchy, but I am trying to form some idea of how to best do our days in Bermuda

Would love some feedback!!!!

One thing I would recommend on the last day is make sure you get an early start for the beach and don't cut it close getting back to the ship. Last year there was a good rain storm with windy weather so EVERYONE was depending on the buses which were crowded. We were waiting for a bus along with pax who needed to get back to King's Wharf and they were sweating it. You can always spend the last part of your last day walking around Dockyard.

beebee's agenda: ....Get dropped off in Hamilton-take the bus back to King's Wharf.......

My Suggestion: unless you have a specific reason for taking the bus back, I would suggest taking the ferry. bus ride time = 62 minutes; ferry ride = 20-25 minutes.

beebee's question: .....you could walk from beach to beach back to King"s Wharf from Hamilton-is that doable?.....

Answer: What you read (or heard) was that certain south shore beaches are connected by a path so that you could walk from beach to beach. The beaches from Horseshoe Bay Beach to Warwick Long Bay Beach are connected by such a path.

beebee's second day agenda: Take the ferry to St. George-roam around St. George-then take in the beaches and sights in the different parishes nearby-I don't know how much of this can be done by walking and how much by taking a bus

Answer: You could take the ferry to SG, the first one departs the Dockyard at 9:15AM and arrives at SG at 9:50AM. You could go to Tobacco Bay Beach then take a bus to Clearwater Beach on St Davids Island. The last ferry from SG to the Dockyard leaves SG at 6:05PM. Otherwise, you'll have to take the bus (or taxi) to Hamilton to catch the ferry there. Concerning "take in the beaches and sights in the different parishes nearby", I don't think you'll have enough time.

beebee's third day agenda: ship leaves at 4

Probably make this a beach day or to catch up on anything that we missed .....

My suggestion: I agree with the beach in the morning and tour the Dockyard in the afternoon.

IMHO: Your agenda maybe overly ambitious. You are somewhat tied to the ferry/bus schedule and travel time does eat up a lot of time. IMHO

You will enjoy Bermuda and everything you don't do, will give you an excuse to return :D.

SBtS

For your last day at the beach- the last time we were at the dockyard, there was a fairly new beach at the dockyard, a short walk from the ship. That way you have no worries about getting back in time.

Myrna

• 5 weeks later...

Snorkel Park at Dockyard is not much of a beach by Bermuda Beach standards. Its manmade, there is rock or coral under the sand, you can scratch your hands and knees fairly easily.

The South Shore beaches are gorgeous. If your ship leaves at 4 check the bus schedules and give yourself an extra 1/2 hour to 1 hour to get back--it is well worth it!

Thanks to iheartbda and SailBadtheSinner for your advice! Heading to Bermuda soon!

Sara

Hope you love it as much as I do. Be SURE to stop at the glass beach to pick up some of the cheapest souvenirs you'll find.;) Don't forget the freshest rum cake ever at the Rum Cake Factory and perhaps a beautiful hand blown glass piece at the Glassworks, both located at Dockyard.

beebee.....

For your 3-4 hour tour, did you book something privately or are you planning to get a taxi when you arrive? I've never been to Bermuda and am trying to form some kind of plan myself.

It's not coming together as well as I'd hoped.....lol. Probably because I only booked this cruise 3 weeks in advance. I usually have a least several months to research. Anyone's help/advice is greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

Maam,

Since it is your first time. Yes you will definitely be back ..

Plan a few things so as if something does change and they surely do/will..you have Plan A B C D...

On your first time having a Blue Flag Cab may be well..and/or taking the Bus/Ferry Public Transport to go for a Day Pass that way doing a hop on hop off etc.. so many wonderful things are in the Bermudian Islands. A few hospitals if you want to see what they are doing .. if you make pre-planned arrangements they will welcome you. Yes like hospital to hospital ..dept to dept..etc..;)

At any rate enjoy the (Somers Isles) It is to me the nicest Island Chain in the World! ;)

beebee.....

For your 3-4 hour tour, did you book something privately or are you planning to get a taxi when you arrive? I've never been to Bermuda and am trying to form some kind of plan myself.

It's not coming together as well as I'd hoped.....lol. Probably because I only booked this cruise 3 weeks in advance. I usually have a least several months to research. Anyone's help/advice is greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

beebee.....

If you tell us when you arrive, when you leave and what things you are interested in more definite suggestions can be made. Did you read the ones given to bee bee since quite a few were given to her. Maybe you can make plans around those or tweek them to suit you.:)

xray girl. Meg,

Not sure what the 2 of you want to do but I will tell you what Jerry and I have sort of planned.

We are arriving on a Wed. on the NCL Dawn so we have 2 full day both overnights and then all day Friday ship leaves at 5pm so it's a great itinerary if you ask me.

Here it goes in a quick summmary.

We will get the 3 day bus/ferry pass $28.

Wed. tkae the express ferry to St George's do the things in that area, see the 12 noon dunking. Tghen take the #10 or #11 bus and go to Swizzle Inn the the same bus to Hamilton and go to the party there that night. Long day should be a blast.

Thurs. doing Gibbs Lighthouse area, the walking path between Warwick Long Bay beach and Horseshoe beach and then what ever we feel up to and what time is left we plan to stay and enjoy at those locations. If we get bkired and have time will visit the Scaur Fort area listed in my guidebook as one of the best views.

Fri. sea glas beach and the dockyard area.

I have indoor things listed on my spread sheet in case of rain but we want to walk/hike and be outside asap.

Will visit the pubs along the way Fog and Onion and another weird name like that in Hamilton and Whitehorse in St Goerge's notice I have all the pubs listed :)

Hope this helps some, many great tips on the port board and great people helping.

A few hospitals if you want to see what they are doing .. if you make pre-planned arrangements they will welcome you. Yes like hospital to hospital ..dept to dept..etc..;)

AAAAmerican......that's an excellent idea and one I've done in the past. I'm a Cat Scan tech and I love to see what equipment and protocols other places employ. Who knows maybe I coud retire there some day. :D

We are cruising on the Celebrity Summit arriving in Kings Wharf on May 12th, departing early evening on May 14th.

I know I definitely want to do afternoon tea at the Hamilton Princess, the lighthouse and some churches, also a beach day pending weather. I would like to try the Swizzle Inn and Frog and Onion, and a nice restaurant for dinner. I'm researching wedding venues too (if I can fit that in) for a possible destination wedding in the future.

I'm also looking into the island tour with Duke Soares, but at $200 for 5 hours I'm not sure it's necessary. Can I do something similar myself via ferry and bus? Albeit without the knowledge of the island that a tour guide has it would be much less informative.

What does everyone think?

I'm also looking into the island tour with Duke Soares, but at $200 for 5 hours I'm not sure it's necessary. Can I do something similar myself via ferry and bus? Albeit without the knowledge of the island that a tour guide has it would be much less informative.

Yes you can, get a book and read the knowledge before hand. I have also learned to sit by the bus driver and get friendly they can be some of the best guides you'll find. :) I was thinking for a very short time of a tour till I saw the price. :eek: I do remember if needed you could get a short tour right in town or at the pier.

Nice ideas Meg. I thought about the tea but going to Swizzle Inn instead :rolleyes Long Island ice tea maybe :rolleyes:

Don't foget harbor nights on Wed. in Hamilton, sounds like a fun party.

After doing a lot of research and hearing what everyone has to say about Bermuda, I don't think we will be doing a taxi tour. It sounds like you can see a lot on your own and get to the different places by taking the bus and ferry. There is a lot of detailed information that you can find to help you make your own itineraries for the time that you are in Bermuda. I think that I would rather take the money that I would spend on a taxi tour and put it into some nice lunches with, of course, some nice wine! (or even some rum swizzles!!!!)

xraygirl,

Miss your welcome. You then have the access to establish intra-hospital communications and especially inter-department.

You must always say.. your getting the lead out..LoL..

The decision of a wedding is wonderful path for you both to be betrothed. ;)

On retirement the Bermudians are given first job offers then... etc..etc..

Your doing great Due Dilly work and will find maybe as I have, so far, that Bermuda to me is the nicest island chain on earth:cool:.

AAAAmerican......that's an excellent idea and one I've done in the past. I'm a Cat Scan tech and I love to see what equipment and protocols other places employ. Who knows maybe I coud retire there some day. :D

Check various schedules of what is going on in Bermuda so as you may pick and choose.. as well the contacts there in the hospitals will be of great mutual benefit.. even federal/state funding may be a Grant away eh...

Tea is excellent in that setting (Hamilton Princess ) and the Bank Building before the Chamber office is in too. Just up the street you may also enjoy Barcardi , then a wonderful Postal Facility, one of if not the nicest ion the world it is the name Perot after the Postmaster and great Horticulturist. A nice few parks are also close, I will say hidden gems in art and flora...

We are cruising on the Celebrity Summit arriving in Kings Wharf on May 12th, departing early evening on May 14th.

I know I definitely want to do afternoon tea at the Hamilton Princess, the lighthouse and some churches, also a beach day pending weather. I would like to try the Swizzle Inn and Frog and Onion, and a nice restaurant for dinner. I'm researching wedding venues too (if I can fit that in) for a possible destination wedding in the future.

beebee,

Yes doing your own due dilly ( research ) is vital, so as youall know the what, when, why and how..sometimes even a lot more too..

On ships you know nothing but sealed food may be taken off. The establishments on the islands in Bermuda are wonderful , costly but everything is usually well done.

The dark-stormies are nice also..but always use caution not throwing things in the wind...;)

May your and your families time be pleasant, having all good things and times well spent.:cool:

After doing a lot of research and hearing what everyone has to say about Bermuda, I don't think we will be doing a taxi tour. It sounds like you can see a lot on your own and get to the different places by taking the bus and ferry. There is a lot of detailed information that you can find to help you make your own itineraries for the time that you are in Bermuda. I think that I would rather take the money that I would spend on a taxi tour and put it into some nice lunches with, of course, some nice wine! (or even some rum swizzles!!!!)

........ Who knows maybe I coud retire there some day. :D

Nice thought but it would be almost next to impossible. Work permits are at present limited to 6 years but then you're talking about retirement.;):)

Although Bermuda is an attractive location for expatriates, it is also somewhat small and overpopulated, so in order to preserve what resources are left, the islands have, in effect, 'shut the door' on long term residency applications. Immigration is controlled by the strict regulation of work permits and property purchase by foreign nationals.

Foreign nationals are not permitted to buy property in Bermuda unless it is worth more than $1,000,000, and if they decide to do this, they must also pay a fee of 22% of the value of the property, and obtain a license from the minister.

The buses and ferries are a cheap way to sightsee. If you get a multi-day transportation pass, you can get on and off where ever and whenever you want. You can look for a tour book to take along if you want backgound on the sights along the way.

Miss,

This may be an option. Now the ferries only have a few (six ) from The Royal Navy Dockyard on Ireland Island to the City of Hamilton then to the Town of St. George...ees..

Call in Bermuda 295-4506 for ferry information and 292-3851 for bus information. To access information via the Internet, go to http://www.seaexpress.bm or http://www.bermudabuses.bm

*NOTE* Get here early as the event is held at High Noon Atlantic Time !

This Historical “dunking” is reenacted every day (except Friday and Saturday) at King's Square. Following the re-enactment, enjoy Bermudian entertainment and in the summer months, St. George’s Market Nights – a lively street fair for family fun.

Now my kin in VA nor MA ( Deerfield) etc... have anything like the apparatus there nor actual dunking. It is a wonderful few Bermuda Kodak moment...

This place too all may be proud as where do you know of a place paid for by only One Peppercorn?

(This has past in early April now.)

With great pomp and circumstance, city officials accept the annual rent in the amount of a single peppercorn for the Old State House, according to an agreement with Freemasons

The then General George Washington , a freemason, obtained a lot of black powder from here and yes it did so very much to win it.

Those aforementioned are just a few facts which may benefit youall in your stay and return trips.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing postings on the Celebrity "connections" board but decided to add some information here since we seem to all be researching the same information on how to get the most out of our visit to Bermuda.

We will be sailing on the Celebrity summit, leaving from Port Liberty on June 13th. If anyone else will be joining us on this cruise, it might be fun to meet up on the ship and discuss what itineraries we have come up with. Just a thought!

Archived