18-20 Year Olds

VentureForth

So the kids' clubs are for kids up to 17, and the bars are for 21 and over. I am sure that my 18 year old will find stuff to do (ie: pool, etc) but are there any activities for those "in-between" adult years?

(Sensation, December '10)

If you sign a waiver they will be allowed to purchase beer and wine... no liquor.

What is your source for that info? According to Carnival:

Drinking Alcohol On Board

The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. Carnival reserves the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. In the event that Bar/Restaurant/Gift Shop staff are in question that a guest is less than 21 years old, they shall request picture identification, prior to serving the drink or selling the bottle of liquor.

But why would you WANT your 18 year old buying alcohol? I did my best to keep them AWAY from alcohol at that age. Surely there are things to do in this world, and on a cruise, other than drinking???:confused:

I am sorry to hear that nobody turned up for the 18-20 year old meeting. I was hoping that this might be a great opportunity. Sounds like no.

But why would you WANT your 18 year old buying alcohol? I did my best to keep them AWAY from alcohol at that age. Surely there are things to do in this world, and on a cruise, other than drinking???:confused:

I am sorry to hear that nobody turned up for the 18-20 year old meeting. I was hoping that this might be a great opportunity. Sounds like no.

She does not (and won't) drink. And therein lies the problem. She won't be interested being hit on by drinkers at a dance club. It just seems to be a sort of inconvenient age to cruise. Activities are plentiful for older and younger.

And that was sort of the reason for my question. No doubtedly, the cruise lines are geared towards drinking. It's offered and encouraged in just about every setting (excepts the kids camps). I can see how this can be quite uncomfortable for an 18-20 year old. I suppose it is the same environment for every non-drinker that boards a cruise ship. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind (adults) drinking and having a great time. I enjoy a drink or two every now and then. I even respect the ships for trying to make buckets load of cash off of buckets of beer.

I just wish there was something a bit more for my 18 year old to feel comfortable doing.

That's true. I did cruise at that age and there are less activities especially if you're nore into the night club scene. You never know who will be on the boat though and there may be some younger people her age that want to do the same activities. Either way, I am sure she will have fun in the sun just relaxing!

She does not (and won't) drink. And therein lies the problem. She won't be interested being hit on by drinkers at a dance club. It just seems to be a sort of inconvenient age to cruise. Activities are plentiful for older and younger.

I was beginning to wonder if I was the odd one out here. I agree it can be a difficult age to cruise. We tend to chose cruises with a fair number of shore days for that reason- lots and lots to do there which my son enjoys. I figure if we have 3 1/2 days on board, one day is spent wandering around learning about the ship, one day exploring stuff going on, the first day we all hang out eating and enjoying our room. That leaves one day that can get difficult. But maybe the laser tag and an hour in bingo will amuse him. And beyond that he can sit and watch tv or sports in one of the lounges. It comes down to cruising or not cruising for us- and he'd rather be bored for an afternoon than not come. No surprise!

THAT'S not encouraging!!! :o

Not a fun cruise for her. It was her first after being 'kicked out' of the kid's clubs.

Funniest line the whole cruise 'This sucks! All I can do is gamble:mad:.' But she did come out a winner on the BJ table.

She really enjoyed the activities and instant friendships of the clubs.

I think it boils down to who your child is. My social butterfly was lost, but my younger one likes to hang out with us so she won't be as grumpy as her sister was.

The worst thing is if you have 18 and up as well as under 18's. because they can't do anything together. We went for my daughters 18th bday 2 years ago, and 2 girls were 17 and 2 were 18 and they couldn't go anywhere together. It sucked.

I was 20 on my cruise last year (Disney, 7 Day) and wasn't bored at all! (BTW, on the Disney line at least, 18 year olds could get permission to participate in the teen (up to 17) group if they had just graduated high school.)

I was jealous of some of the activities that I wasn't allowed to participate in, but I got over it by planning my own activities on land...I did a lot of excursions! And the sea days were fun too. Between sleeping in, eating whatever I wanted, exploring the ship, laying out in the sun by the adult pool, taking an afternoon nap, hanging out with my family, attending all the shows, going to dinner, and watching the after-dinner adult shows, dancing, there's really plenty to do. There were a few interesting scheduled activities that I attended, too.

So even though there weren't any scheduled activities for that specific age group, I made up my own and had an awesome time.

Archived