Settle the dispute!!

Lyn3165

I think you mean he has been hitting about as much as missing since then... Pearl Harbor, Men of Honor, and Radio (and Rat Race and Boat Trip! [You may not like it, but some of us do!:p :D]) have all been post JM,:) but he has also let himself sign up on masterpieces like Norbit, Daddy Day Camp, and Snow Dogs since then... :rolleyes:

That is a much nicer way of putting it than I would (which boils down to "every movie since JM has been crap and JM wasn't all that good either").

When we sailed on the Imagination, the captain announced that Cuba was on our left and that he would be sounding one blast to "announce our intention".....since Cuban waters are considered a hostile area. It was really kind of exciting!!

Oh stop, Cuba is not hostile waters. These cruise ships are not even flagged in the US! If there were just canadians on board it could stop in havana!

Most of the ships on western itineraries cut it pretty close to the Cuban coast to save time. On the Triumph last year I would say we were around 15 NM off the coast, can see the Sierra Maestra mountain range clearly.

I was begging for some locals ins skiffs to come along side with cigars, but no dice. Close, but no cigar.:)

Speaking of Cuba, are US residents allowed to travel there?:confused:

Still no, from the whole Missle Crissis thing....... You can go if you fly into mexico and THEN fly into Cuba, but you're still not supposed to. The Cubans don't care!;)

Indeed you can - here is a pic of Cuba from the Valor taken in Jan 2010

100_2956.jpg

this is a stupid question, but looking at this pic, are you low in boat and that is one big wave, sorry never been out to sea yet, but soon?

Just looking at that pic woooo,:eek:

• 3 weeks later...
this is a stupid question, but looking at this pic, are you low in boat and that is one big wave, sorry never been out to sea yet, but soon?

Just looking at that pic woooo,:eek:

3'-4' chop it looks like with one patch of sunlight and a lot of clouds. The sunlight makes the lighter area look lower and the darker area looks taller.

In answer to the question about Americans being able to travel to Cuba....I have heard that there is no restriction on travel to Cuba, the restriction is that Americans cannot spend money there.

It's a beautiful country with lovely people. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to travel there.

I like Cuba the way it is and hope things don't change.

In answer to the question about Americans being able to travel to Cuba....I have heard that there is no restriction on travel to Cuba, the restriction is that Americans cannot spend money there.

It's a beautiful country with lovely people. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to travel there.

You heard WRONG. Since 1962 it has been basically illegal for US citizens to travel to Cuba. There are exceptions, they are now allowing those with relatives there to travel to see them. And forget about bringing back those wonderful cigars, not allowed.

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS, TRAVEL TRANSACTION LIMITATIONS: The Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the U.S. Department of the Treasury and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically located in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

All travelers to Cuba, including religious workers, should have the appropriate type of visa and, if required, specific authorization from Cuban authorities.

For the latest information on travel to Cuba and to view the most accurate and updated travel restrictions information, please see: http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/cuba.shtml.

My DH and I are "discussing" whether or not you can see Cuba while on the Valor cruising toward Grand Cayman. Your input is needed to settle the dispute. One of us believes you can see Cuba, the other doesn't believe it.

Saw it from the Legend. Bring binoculars for a better view :)

You are not supposed to go there as am American. But you can if you first fly to, say, cancun and then to Cuba. Believe me, they love Americans and love our American money. Cuba welcomes Americans.

And forget about bringing back those wonderful cigars, not allowed.

Just take the bands off :). The only thing you need to watch is that they will stamp your passport when you enter and leave Cuba. Just make sure to ask them not to and they won't stamp it. This can be dicey the next time you give you passport to the US customs person......

On the Valor, I'm guessing that would be Monday you can See Cuba?

Am/PM?

Yes on Monday.

When I was on the Valor last May, we followed the coast pretty closely the entire day. It was cool to think we were that close to Cuba! Should have taken some pictures but didn't really think about it at the time.

I know this is off topic for this thread but another cool view/change is sailing from San Diego. You can definitely see where the US ends and Mexico begins by the change in the buildings. US side more newer, shinier buildings while the Mexican side seemed more primitive (the only way to really describe it...like lack of more modern buildings, etc). :)

Archived