New Caledonia & Vanuatu or Fijian Jewels

calazula

Hi there,

It's been over a year since my last post and I'm looking to go on my next cruise :)

My fiancée and I will be spending our honeymoon cruising and we're trying to choose an itinerary. Right now we're deciding between these 2.

Princess Sun Princess

• 12-Days Ports of call: Sydney, Isle of Pines, Lifou, Vila, Vanuata, Wala, Champagne Bay, Vanuata, Noumea, New Caledonia, Sydney

Princess Dawn Princess

• 13-Days Ports of call: Sydney, Noumea, New Caledonia, Fiji (Suva), Port Denarua, Fiji, Dravuni Island, Fiji, Vila, Vanuatu, Lifou, Sydney

Both ships leave on Oct 1. Both visit New Caledonia and Vanutu, but with slightly different itineraries and with the latter also visiting Fiji.

We're travelling from Canada and this will probably be our only trip out to Australiasia for a long while so we want to make the most of our trip.

We're both young and physically fit. We like to do a variety of things but have to limit our time in the sun due to photosensitivity. Motion sickness can also be a problem. We did however manage just fine on our last cruise including boat rides out for snorkelling, etc. As long as the waves aren't too crazy. We don't mind going to a nice beach but our ideal day does not include sitting on one all day. Ideally we want to see/do things we can't normally do at home. We dont' mind trying new things/food.

Any tips, suggestions, reviews, etc. are welcome.

Thanks!

Hi

Sorry cant help much as we are kind of new to cruising......we have done the fijian jewels last June as our first cruise and about to go again to pick up the ports we didnt get to because of the swine-flue....

If this cruise had been a sampler cruise we probably wouldn't jump on board again....it was very rough and heaps and heaps of people got sick (we took tabs each night got us through)....We went next on the Diamond princess from Bangkok back to Sydney....it was so smooth if you wanted waves you would have been disappointed....

It will be interesting to see what happens this time and what others come back and say

Princess Dawn Princess

13-Days Ports of call: Sydney, Noumea, New Caledonia, Fiji (Suva), Port Denarua, Fiji, Dravuni Island, Fiji, Vila, Vanuatu, Lifou, Sydney

I'd go with this one for the scuba diving. Even if you don't dive, the snorkeling will be spectacular. Plus, it is longer. For cruising, longer is better in my book.

I've not been as far east as Fiji so can't comment there but all the ports on the first cruise are beautiful. The snorkelling spots I went to weren't the best. It would pay to locate some less visited spots. In Vila there are waterfalls and rockclimbing that may appeal.The ships excusions should cover all your interest bases.

October is a great month for this area. Have a wonderful time.

Hi, we have done the Fijian Jewels cruise a couple of years ago and we are going again this May. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Great people, beautiful clear waters and very cheap duty free, especially in Vila. Take the Dawn Princess and if you can take the 8th May sailing. we will be on it.

Eileen & John Swinsburg

• 1 month later...

I went on the Fijiian Jewels one last year & I am going on the other one this year - also on Oct.1st.

We loved Vanuatu, which is why we selected the Vanuatu/New Cal. cruise this year. Good Duty Free shopping & heaps to explore - the water falls in Port Vila for one. It's a waste of time going to Suva, but Dravuni Island is a must see. I first went there in 1984 & it had barely changed in 25 years. You get to see pretty much how they live & we were allowed to visit the school. Port Denarau is o.k. - lots of resorts and a lovely shopping area & my family did Speed Boating - which was o.k. But it's not the 'real' Fiji. Vanuatu, Lifou & Isle of Pines are far more unspoilt. Dravuni Island is the only place in Fiji that is unspoilt, where the ships visit.

Hope this helps you. Take your sea sick tablets & I can recomend ginger tablets as well for your tummy. There are often rough seas in the Sth Pacific, no matter what time of year you sail. (I live here - so know first hand) I have been on 4 cruises & never got sick, but my husband & son have. It didn't last long. Ususally hits the first day & night.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a fantastic time. Might bump into you on board if you choose the Sun Princess Vanuatu cruise!!! Oh yeah- I've been on both Sun & Dawn Princess - not much differenct between them. Sun is a bit younger I think. Also - don't book the shore tours through the ship. Extremely over priced. I can recommend 'Atmosphere' as a tour company in Vanuatu. I booked from Aust. before leaving & all went to plan & they were brilliant. In Fiji, there are tour companies waiting with offers, when you disemabrk. If you leave it until midday, they amy have reduced their prices as well. Lifou you can walk around. Port Denarau, they have tours you can book when you disembark as well.

Hope I've helped you somewhat.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The first cruise, no hesitation!!! You have several gorgeous islands listed,it takes 3 days (sometimes rough) to get out to them. Fiji is a bit of a hit n miss nowadays, you would need to get out of the city,unless that is what you like. Dravuni is nice, and the only other one is Vila on the 2nd choice which are any good IMHO

Whereas the 1st one you have Isle of Pines (gorgeous) wala (good) Lifou is fab, champagne Bay is to die for! Vila is great for duty free and is a small town and has some interesting tours to go on,well worth a visit. I spent a week there and have been many times and still love it. Noumea, well what can we say! On a good day it is very pretty from the lookout, has lots of expensive yachts and is a bit South of France looking if you know what i mean, too dear for shopping as they have a very high tax, most cruises have to stop there and stock up supplies so the govt will let them visit the other New Caledonia Islands. Have a look at this site i found will give you an idea how gorgeous it is

http://www.360cities.net/image/natural-swimming-pool-isle-of-pines-new-caledonia#352.30,49.29,105.4

• 2 weeks later...

When are you going to New Zealand? I am trying to decide whether to take a cruise there or to the Vanuatu New Caledonia route. We love the outdoors and are going to be doing this area once in Dec. 2011. We are going to visit our son in Sydney and coming from Canadian winter want warmth. We have done the Paul Gauguin from Tahiti and loved it.

Archived