Entertainment on cruise ships

robinph

Just reading the review of pacfic Dawn's Tasmanian cruise, and the comment was made about the lack of production shows,we were on Sun Princess in February and had 5 production shows on a 13 night cruise, quite excessive I thought, all other cruises we have been on have had a maximum of 3 shows. I was wondering if this is a ploy on Princesses part to utilize their existing staff rather than pay to have guest artists appearing, any one got any thoughts on this Robin:)

Good point, I am not sure...unfortunately if you are lucky enough to travel fairly often you see the same shows...I have enjoyed some of the other artists, magicians etc...and then some of the others oh dear...however lets face it...its not like you have paid hundreds of dollars to see the show. There is always more than enough to keep me amused.:)

Good point, I am not sure...unfortunately if you are lucky enough to travel fairly often you see the same shows...I have enjoyed some of the other artists, magicians etc...and then some of the others oh dear...however lets face it...its not like you have paid hundreds of dollars to see the show. There is always more than enough to keep me amused.:)

I agree that there is always something to do, but I do enjoy seeing a show of some sort at night no matter how bad, but the production shows are repeated on a lot of the cruises especially Piano Man it has been on every cruise I have been on....maybe time to give that one a rest for a while. The guest artists give us something else to look at as well as the production shows.:)

I agree that there is always something to do, but I do enjoy seeing a show of some sort at night no matter how bad, but the production shows are repeated on a lot of the cruises especially Piano Man it has been on every cruise I have been on....maybe time to give that one a rest for a while. The guest artists give us something else to look at as well as the production shows.:)

Piano Man has been retired. It was good. There are now several new shows.

The thing we found a bit odd about the production shows on our cruise wasn't so much the number of shows, but that they were all at the start and the end. I guess we're just used to cruises with a routine of production show one night, guest entertainer the next.

The current shows are great, Run Away to the Circus (unique to Jewel) and Pirates of the Pacific, Girt by Sea and so on.

Girt by Sea has borrowed a bit from the old G'Day G'Day show, if people remember that one, that was always popular and ran for ages.

Piano Man has been retired. It was good. There are now several new shows.

Piano Man may be retired on P&O ships but as of 4 weeks ago Princess were still flogging it !!!!:rolleyes:

We Cruised NZ with Princess in Feb and were lucky enough to do the Ultimate Ships Tour ..... during our backstage visit to the theatre they indicated that shows on Princess (and assume other lines) have a 4 year run before they are replaced. some of the costumes were certainly showing their age when viewed close up.

This necessitated by the copyright, stage, costume etc etc costs (they say).

Guess this means that if you travel on with the same line you will see the same show over and over ... guess that may be why they have more 'guest' entertainers (and yes some are 'groan worthy' but hey they are free and you don't have top stay and watch).

In hind sight I think we enjoyed the shows and guest artists more on both NCL and RCL.

But what the heck the shows are are only a small part of the cruise experience ..... just enjoy what you get.

Archived