How to get from Orlando Airport to Port Canaveral

shortm

After lots of help from you guys over the last few months we are really, really close to booking our first cruise. We'll be going from Port Canaveral on Freedom of the Seas, however I'm not sure of the best way of getting from the airport (MCO) to the port.

Also we will be arriving the day before the cruise departs so will need to find hotel accommodation, does anyone have any recommendations for something near the port ? It's really only a place to sleep and have some breakfast so doesn't need to be fancy.

Oh, it will be me, my husband and 15 month older daughter travelling.

We rented a car with Dollar. Picked it up at MCO. It's located inside the terminal and drove to Port Canaveral. We stayed in a hotel in Port Canaveral, sorry don't remember the hotel name. We kept the car over night because you are paying for 24 hours anyway so we were able to go to the store to pick up essentials for the cruise that we didn't want to pack. Very simple and convenient. Use the cruisecritic blog that the poster suggested. It's full of good and helpful advice. We found a wonderful hotel in Ft Laurderdale because of these boards.

Good Luck, Beth

You will need an approved car seat to transport your daughter by car anywhere in Florida, so you can bring your own, or find a car rental agency that provides them. (I notice you are from the UK, so I honestly don't know if your own car seat would be approved here or not). You could also try the Ports of Call board to get hotel information. Have a wonderful cruise!

I agree with the car rental if you are comfortable driving in the US. We did this a few years ago and there was no drop-off fee to rent from the airport and drop the car off in Port Canaveral. On the way back, we also rented a car but used a different agency which had a better price for that day. You will need the car seat as mention. The drive is not through traffic once you leave the airport area so don't worry about that. You will probably find better hotel prices in Port Canaveral than near the Orlando airport.

Thanks guys, looks as though we'll be renting a car !

No problems driving in the US as when I'm not on maternity leave I fly to MCO every week with work so very used to it. We also have a US carseat but just trying to avoid another thing to carry.

I think we'll check whether Zoe is still in the weight limit for her infant carrier as that would be much easier than her big seat.

Archived