Getting on the ship in port

panthersfan

The thing that some people will remind you of (I guess it's my turn :) ) is that you may want to think about what you would need if everything didn't go according to plan. Like you get delayed and the ship leaves without you. A credit card, some amount of cash, and your passport would be good in that case. The passport would be necessary in the event that you need to fly to the next port or to the US.

- Steve

The thing that some people will remind you of (I guess it's my turn :) ) is that you may want to think about what you would need if everything didn't go according to plan. Like you get delayed and the ship leaves without you. A credit card, some amount of cash, and your passport would be good in that case. The passport would be necessary in the event that you need to fly to the next port or to the US.

- Steve

I would disagree with taking a passport ashore. Maybe a copy, but way to easy to lose (have stolen). Your reason is valid, but I would never take my passport. One other thing we always do is take the current day copy of the capers. If needed it always has the local Carnival Agent and phone number in the extreme case where you might need it.

We are going Western Caribbean. Cozumel, Cayman and Ocho Rios. I think the copy of the passport is a great idea.

I been to all of thse ports before and ALL of them required a photo Id to enter into the port area.

As to the passport issue... This is ju8st my $0.02 worth... but IMHO a copy of a passport is not worth the paper it's copied on. If I need my passport, I want the "real deal" at hand, and not on the ship that may or may not still be in port. Just my opinion.

Are you going on the eastern itinerary with San Juan as one of your ports? If so, you will be asked for a photo ID to re-enter at the port entrance.

Also Nassau, Cozumel, Montego Bay, Roatan, St. Thomas, St. Martin......really most places the locals want to see your S&S and picture id

A copy of your passport only save 2 minutes time when you have to go to the consulate or embassy to get a replacement passport. It will not be accepted as ID when checing in at the airport or trying to go through US Immigration. Like the cruise director said "If you plan on missing the ship, take your passport, if you plan on being back onboard, leave it in the safe". I'm a former boy scout and I try to Be Prepared, so I take my passport along and so far I have never lost it or had it stolen. A lot easier to do if you have one of the new passport cards which fits in your wallet.

To get on the ship all you need is your S&S card, to reach the ship you'll need photo ID and your S&S card.

A copy of your passport only save 2 minutes time when you have to go to the consulate or embassy to get a replacement passport. It will not be accepted as ID when checing in at the airport or trying to go through US Immigration. Like the cruise director said "If you plan on missing the ship, take your passport, if you plan on being back onboard, leave it in the safe". I'm a former boy scout and I try to Be Prepared, so I take my passport along and so far I have never lost it or had it stolen. A lot easier to do if you have one of the new passport cards which fits in your wallet.

To get on the ship all you need is your S&S card, to reach the ship you'll need photo ID and your S&S card.

Which is on no use if you need to fly out of the port

Archived