New to Alsaka-- Balcony? Dog Sled? Glacier Hike?

sweetiepie9339

Hey- we are new to the whole Alaska thing- and just booked May 14th Diamond Princess w/ an Aft balcony- any one know if we'll get much use out of it? Pleanty to see? Or just toooo cold no matter how warm you dress? Really hoping that we can bundle up and see tons!

Also wanting some info on private tours- we really would like to Dog Sled in the snow ( I guess this means a glacier this time of year?)- but at over 400pp thru the ship WOW!! Anyone know a cheaper yet good place to use? We go to Ketchikan, Jueanu, Skagway, and Victoria (forgive my spelling)!

We would also love to do a fly over/ glacier hike (with the spikey boots and all) for a reasonable price- any suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help!!

I might do the same cruise date and I am going to check out independent sightseeing companies at the various ports - I KNOW there are much more reasonably priced ones than using the cruise ships. However if you are not an experienced traveler you might find using the cruise lines' arrangements more convenient.

This will be our 7th cruise- it's just the 1st to Alaska. I was shocked at the prices... any help w/ which companies are good would be much appreciated. We have used independents on our cruises before- but they always came reccomended off the boards. I also need to find out about the time difference before I book anything... but I'm not too worried about missing the ship as we seem to stay in the ports very late.

My clear opinion- you need to budget fully for Alaska touring- you get only half a trip without them, just a fact of Alaska travel. Your balcony should be great- just be certain to pack proper attire, meaning, lined jacket, knit hat, gloves. As for a glacier dog sledding out of Juneau look at Coastal Helicopters, Skagway TEMSCO. If you want glacier trekking Northstar Trekking out of Juneau.

Try to not get your hopes up for the dogsled, I was told that they don't get started with the dogsleds until after mid June. We go on June 3rd. We were dissappointed, but just went ahead and booked the helicopter ride instead. I heard this from 3 operators. Good luck to you. Nancy

Well- while I haven't had time to check in w/ the other companies- the one thru the cruiseline is available on my day... while it is 410pp I suppose that I may have to scrape up the money- afterall... it's a once in a lifetime experience right? Anyway- the prebooking says it's available.... we'll see.

So- do you know why they don't start until mid-June? Too cold for the dogs?

They are usually running the end of May- so even though the listing is on your shore excursion list- it still will not be available. They probably also have bear watches listed- these don't start until end of July. The camps have to be set up- takes time for that.

You are correct about the bear camps- not available-- but I can prebook the dogsled- it's available.... I really doubt that they would let me pay for the excursion and pre-book it if it were not avialable.... because there are many other tours under "prebooking" that won't allow you to b/c they say that they are not available.....

So- We'll see....

In Skagway you can take a dog sled ride (on wheels due to lack of snow) for 2 1/2 hrs for $99 pp and that starts May 1, they won't let me post the website, but you can do a google search for Alaska Sled Dog Adventures. I also received an email from M&M Tours today and the said the Dog Sled and Helicopter rides were available, but they are $400 pp and it's only 1 1/2 hrs long. Or there is Temsco Helicopters which they mentioned which don't give dates or prices so I'm not sure, but I believe they are the one the cruise ships use. Good luck, let me know if you find anything good, we are looking too. They seam too much, we are thinking about renting a car and driving to Canada or Salmon fishing.

My 2cents worth...Juneau: Orca Enerprises, whale watching trip and Coastal Helcopters for a glacier landing. Ketchikan: Island Wings for a float plane ride to Misty Fiords. In Skagway we did thru Princess a tour they callled twilight wildlife expedition but I think it only operates later in the season. As all have said, you will LOVE your balcony. Having done about 10 cruises now, this is my absolute favorite. Most of all, you listen to Budget Queen, she knows Alaska! Have a ball.

Archived