Grand Cayman question

masechase

hi all,

I was looking up grand caymans for excursion ideas and i see that most said Caymans get skipped due to rough days at sea. now most people said this was through winter months, but does this happen alot in may? I am really hoping not. our cruise goes may 17th and we have never been to the caymans but have been to Cozumel so i was hoping to see something different. should we have a problem in may?

also any advice on excursions, besides sting rays?

Thank you!!

I went in November and although the waters were a tiny itty bit choppy for snorkeling, we still were able to dock (no problem whatsoever) and do our stingray/snorkel tour. The water just wasn't crystal clear because of the choppiness. It was still one of our favorite stops.

Hope this helps!

~Lisa :p

Because Grand Cayman is a tender port it is missed more often than those with docks. If it were missed that frequently it's doubtful that so many ships would call. It is not uncommon to see six or seven ships holding station just off shore on any given day.

If you are planning to book private excursions make sure that you will get a refund if the ship cannot stop. Cruise lines automatically refund their excursions when the port is missed.

hi all,

I was looking up grand caymans for excursion ideas and i see that most said Caymans get skipped due to rough days at sea. now most people said this was through winter months, but does this happen alot in may? I am really hoping not. our cruise goes may 17th and we have never been to the caymans but have been to Cozumel so i was hoping to see something different. should we have a problem in may?

also any advice on excursions, besides sting rays?

Thank you!!

We were there two weeks ago... there were big waves so we tendered into another area - Spotts dock - it was nice and calm over there. I think some of the water excursions were cancelled. We just did the "generic" tour around the island, including a stop at the turtle farm. Pretty island... can't wait to go back and see more!

We recently made Grand Cayman the first week of November '09. We lucked out, I guess (last time we got rained on)

We booked a tour privately through stingraysailing dot com. Catamaran tour to the stingray sandbar and snorkeling. They picked us up at the tender pier.

GREAT trip. There were about 20 people on the catamaran and it was very affordable.

11434_1246171283559_1507726387_30674420_2865955_n.jpg

11434_1246171083554_1507726387_30674415_4815312_n.jpg

11434_1246171163556_1507726387_30674417_5803407_n.jpg

In the past, we've done the Turtle Farm, Hell, the butterfly farm...

We really enjoyed the catamaran ride though. I would do that again.

I had been there in March when we went and it was bad on one side of island but we were able to dock on other side. All excurtions on the bad side was canceled but the good side we had no problems and weather was beutiful.

Is an option, but please note it cannot handle large numbers of ships so some will anchor and tender in while others might miss the island.

In May you are probably getting the very best odds possilbe. The Caribbean has not heated up yet for Hurrican season and the winter storms have cleared.

Bon Voyage!

We were in Grand Cayman in April a few years back and the Stingray city trips were announced as canceled due to rough weather, so we left the ship on the first tender out to hit Seven Mile Beach (In my opinion one of the world's most beautiful beaches - great snorkeling there too!).

Anyway, shortly after we left the boat, apparently conditions improved enough that they lifted the cancellations and ran the trips - of course we were gone by that point. Upon our return, hearing the trips weren't canceled, we were obviously upset. Fortunately RCCL did the right thing, and when we contacted the excursions desk, not only did they credit us for the excursion we didn't get to take, but gave us free excursions at our next stop.

My point is the conditions are variable, and as you can see - occasionally change enough to cancel -then reinstate - within a few hours.

Regardless, no matter where you go in Grand Cayman, you'll love it. We've been there a number of times on cruises and for vacation and loved every minute. Enjoy!

We were there in Jan of last year. I thought the waters were pretty rough! I was cold & windy. We did make the port, but I remember a bunch of the water stuff was canceled. When we got back on the ship, we were watching 2 other ships that were in port. No one was anchored that is for sure, because you could see them get there engines going so they could get back into position! It was neat to watch, but it was also a bit tricky getting on the tenders. So I'd say if the waters were too rough for the ship to even get into port......its best to not even stop! I would've hated to have the waters any rougher then they were when I was there!

haha what is rum point? sounds like something my husband would love! :D

I rarely, if ever, agree with a Buckeye, but it's a great part of GC. :)

We stayed in GC for a week last June and it was great. Seven Mile Beach is amazing and one of the prettiest beaches I've ever seen. You can take a taxi or bus (basically a minivan) from the pier, and be dropped off anywhere (I suggest Royal Palms area) and just enjoy beautiful water and snorkeling. The beach is public access.

http://www.reefgrill.net/netcam/index.html

Whatever you do, have a great time!

We took the Semi-sub and Butterfly Farm. The semi-sub is the only way we'll get to see the marine life. We thought the Butterfly Farm would be boring, but I enjoyed it, and snapped about 50 pictures. You have to have your camera set for Shoot and Select, so you capture the butterfly with their wings spread.

The shopping is great also, but can get crowded with lots of ships in port.

Depending on your other ports, I would suggest shopping in those ports. GC is ridiculously expensive. I would really do your research if you're planning a big purchase. We bought a 12 pack of Miller Lite for $22!!! Most stuff is imported to GC, so it's expensive. The rum cakes are good though.

I was there in May 2002. We were able to tender, had a wonderful day on a fantastic snorkeling excursion, got some food and drinks at a little beach bar that I had previously gone to, did some quick shopping and then made one of the last tenders back. It started raining then, but it was a very welcome rain because we were so fried! Even with the rain, the tender ride was fine. I remember because we have pictures of us all smiling, getting wet, sitting on the tender. It was when we were in Cozumel that we had rough seas.

• 1 month later...

We have been to the Caymans twice - both in May (once in mid-May and the other at the end of the month) - both times the weather was perfect and no problems with rough waters. Of course, no one can predict the weather until a few days before, but I think you'll be ok!

Archived