More ?s on Formal Wear on TP

ChrissyC

NOt to beat a dead horse as I know this topic has been discussed before, but have a few questions for relatively newbie cruisers (only one before this one) on formal nights. First, are there truly TWO formal nights on the TP? This seems like a lot. Second, if we opt not to eat in the main dining room on formal nights but rather at the steak house or Sabatinis, will we still be required to dress formally or will smart casual do for the alternative eateries? Or, will we be stuck with pizza or room service if we don't want to dress up in suits and gowns? We are not formal types, can't see hauling fancy clothing all the way to the SOUTH PACIFIC where this seems a bit much in the climate and culturally. Our opinion.

Anyway, any insights would be helpful; thanks.

From what we witnessed in October, even though there were two formal nights, the clothes were very mixed. There were some men dressed in Tux's but most were in a suit or sport jacket. Woman were mixed also, some very dressed up and others just minimal. So I would not worry about real fancy gowns and tuxedo's if that is not your thing. Dress nicely but comfortably, have your DH put on a sport coat and you won't be looked down upon by anyone, at least you would not have been on the cruise we sailed on to FP.

So a casual sport coat (no tie) with like a golf shirt for him and a sun dress or similar for me would be OK? We are looking to de-stress and dressing up in fancy clothes is a stress to us, totally unneeded in the South Pacific. Thanks for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally feel it's well worth the small effort to pack a DJ, if you roll your clothes they take up so little room and for formal nights it is no problem for suits to taken. TP is an elegant ship and if more people did dress formally on formal nights it adds that special touch.

On our recent TP cruise there was a fair proportion of evening wear alongside open necked shirts

No one really answered the question about options. If we really do not want to dress up on the two formal nights, what else is available. I understand the buffet only offers pizza in the evening. How about room service? Does the room service menu have dinner items on those two nights?

Thanks for any info.

Jackie

jackiealu@aol.com

Jackie:

I believe your asking about dining options, not formal wear options, right? The original poster was inquiring about dressing options. But, I can answer your questions ... :)

If you're not going to dine in the dining room, your options are pizza or room service. I don't believe the Horizon court has "dinner" as an option. Sabatini's and Sterling have alternate days they are open. Check the Patter for the days. The room service menu did not have dinner items on it, that I remember. We were last on the TP in '03, and I'm afraid my memory is shot a bit. (the age thing, I know.) :p

If room service doesn't have dinner items, maybe make a dinner out of appetizers on that menu? Otherwise, sounds like pizza. Those would be the only two options if one didn't want to get dressed up since it appears even in the alternative restaurants like Steak and Italian, if it's formal night one is expected to dress formal. It's too bad -- because sounds like the buffet on this ship doesn't offer more than pizza!

Thank you all for the answers on alternate dining. My husband is just not going to dress formal on the two formal nights. I am sure we can get by with pizza from the buffet area (we like pizza), or just order something on room service. I am sure we will not "starve" (haha).

I do not mind dressing up, so I may take a dress and go to the dining room by myself, then he will have to have pizza by himself (haha) or I will bring him a doggie bag.

Jackie

jackiealu@aol.com

Jackie I am in the same boat. We've traveled all over the South Pacific and fancy dress is like an oxymoron down there, and no way will my husband haul a jacket, long shirt and TIE; especially not after a day of diving/snorkeling, hiking, swimming, sailing, etc. Golf shirts and pants is all he'll do. I guess this must be a big part of cruising culture no matter where the ship is though; many people seem to like it.

• 4 months later...

Since one of the formal nights (on the Cook Island itin.) is in Bora Bora, on the night that the ship is docked overnight . . . .could you potentially ahve dinner in port? (as an alternative to formal night?)

Archived