Glacier Bay or no Glacier Bay

banderboo

Planning a cruise to Alaska with/fore my parents. This trip may be their only opportunity to get to Alaska so I really want to make the most of it. We are looking at going in August and I'm very torn between which itinerary / cruise line I should take and would really like your opinion.

My concern is around Glacier Bay, given that this might be their only trip to Alaska, if I don't do an itinerary with Glacier Bay will we be disappointed?

Thanks for you help

My concern is around Glacier Bay, given that this might be their only trip to Alaska, if I don't do an itinerary with Glacier Bay will we be disappointed?

Two of my first 3 Alaska cruises went to Hubbard Glacier. Cruise #4 went to Glacier Bay, and for #5 in May, we're going back to Hubbard. GB is great, Hubbard is better. Tracy Arm is spectacular but a different experience entirely unless you reach the Sawyer Glaciers, and most ships don't.

I heard what Yukon just said by several posters but i loved cruising thru GB- takes all day.. I think first cruise should be on princess which now does both if going S.. Second could be Celebrity or HAL so you can see Seward.

I've been to Glacier Bay and to Tracy Arms too and I can honestly say if your parents don't go to Glacier Bay, they will miss out the highlight of an Alaskan cruise. My third Alaskan cruise this summer goes to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard glacier(Princess) and I can't wait to see it again. The ships spends several hours at glacier bay, yet I'm very excited to see it again. That's how special it is.

This is a frequently asked question. I have made up a page with comparisons. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/alaskaglaciers.html

Now, my opinion, contrary to that of my friend Yukon, (that's the value of this board!) is that for your first and maybe only trip to Alaska, Glacier Bay is the MUST DO!! Hubbard Glacier is spectacular. It is well known for flashy calving. It is a great sight. But -- Glacier Bay is a World Heritage Site and a National Park, and for good reason. The entire Bay is fabulous. The multiple glaciers are well worth seeing. The contrast between the muddy glaciers and the pristine blue of Margerie Glacier is fascinating. National Park Rangers come aboard the ship for commentary. Chances for wildlife sightings are probably better than at Hubbard. All in all, Glacier Bay is the choice I would make.

Whatever you choose, you will have a GREAT cruise!

Do a southbound Princess cruise and get BOTH Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay!! I actually swtiched from another cruise line after reading the raves about both Hubbard and Glacier Bay.

Loved Hubbard glacier! Been there twice, and love it both times. Lots of calving. Our captain was able to get us up pretty close the second time. Loved it!

Weather was bad when we went to Glacier Bay, so it was pretty unspectacular for us.

So, for me, it's Hubbard Glacier.

Either way, they will have a great trip!

Going to both in May. I'll let you know if I change my mind. :)

No you would not be disappointed.Hubbard Glacier is Fantastic we cruised HG on our first trip .We were completly satisfied with the experience.You will never be able to take in everything Alaska has to offer.

This will be our second time to Alaska this time a 14 Night cruise and we will be cruising HG as well as Glacier Bay plus 8 ports.

No you would not be disappointed.Hubbard Glacier is Fantastic we cruised HG on our first trip .We were completly satisfied with the experience.You will never be able to take in everything Alaska has to offer.

This will be our second time to Alaska this time a 14 Night cruise and we will be cruising HG as well as Glacier Bay plus 8 ports.

So true. You just have to keep going back for more.:D

You must be sailing on the Amsterdam? What a great itin. Can't wait!

Archived