Botflies in Belize

like2cruise

I have a friend that went Cave Tubing in Belize in December and it turns out that she got bit by a Botfly which laid a larvae egg in her neck/shoulder area. It was removed after a couple weeks as it appeared like a boil. The larvae was about a quarter of an inch in size After a little research, I guess these Botflies are found primarily in Belize and Costa Rica. My hubby and I are scheduled to go cave tubing in March. I have very sensitive skin that all bugs seem to enjoy. They are drawn to me :-) I really am looking forward to the cave tubing, but after seeing some yucky pictures I want to see if there is anything else I can do besides use a gallon of Deet and if anyone else has had this happen to them. I am hoping this is an infrequent occurance!! Thanks for any information that you may have that can help me.

Hi,

We were in Belize last week cave tubing with XStream. We didn't encounter any flying insects other than a few Gnat like ones. Our guide informed us that the most flying insects are encountered near the ruins. We did not use repellant either.

Fairly common in southern US as well (anywhere there is cattle or deer) and how many folks do you know that have had this problem? Not nice when it happens, though. Same kind of issue with ticks here in Rocky Mountain area - use DEET and check for ticks after hiking through grass. No big deal if found early.

I've been looking at a lot of posts lately and most folks have hardly even seen an insect. Still trying to decide if I want to bother with shots like CDC recommends. Most folks in my office that have stayed in Belize and Costa Rica for a week just use some DEET (one lady liked Costa Rica so much she adopted a little girl from there).

We were recently in Belize and took a ruin tour. Out in the open the bugs weren't bad, in the shade they were more obnixous but a spray of "Off" discouraged them. I would say they were no worse than in the states. In fact the worse place I ever experienced mosguitos was in New York in the mountains. Mind you I live in Florida.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey gatour - info from an entomologist I worked with at UofF - there are more insects in Florida than the rest of the United States combined. By the way, DEET does a good job of paint removal as well. Had a brand new black Twistoflex watch band cleaned of baked on paint in one application. But at least the mosquitos didn't get me (and I attract them).

Archived