civitavecchia taxis

nibird2

Out cruise ends in Civitavecchia on Sunday, June 13. We would like to rent a car there and ultimately return it in Rome on June 16. I understand there are only a couple of rental agencies opened on Sunday morning until about noontime. My question is whether or not there are taxis at the port on a Sunday which may be needed to get to the agency?

You will find a few taxi's at the pier. And those taxis don't want to drive you a mile or so to a car rental office. They want to go to the airport. I believe a car rental is about 3/4 of a mile from the shuttle bus stop by the Fort. It may be best to take the shuttle to the stop. Have one person wait with the luggage while you go get the car. There is a McDonald's right across from the Fort. The person with the luggage can wait there.

Finding a rental car dealer on Sundays in never easy. We had a discussion with a port lecturer last year (we also know the port quite well) who told us that Hertz was usually open on Sunday mornings (we have no idea if this is really true). Hertz is very close to the port entrance and is a short 2-3 block walk from the entrance where you get dropped by the free port shuttle bus. It is also possible to walk to Europcar if you can get the port shuttle bus to drop you at the "secret back door" of the port which is along the outside wall some distance from the main port entrance. We have had two port shuttle drivers willing to drop us at this port exit gate (they do it after they drop everyone else at the main port entrance) from which its about a 5-6 block walk to Europcar. That being said, the last time we checked Europcar is not open on Sundays. As to getting a taxi to take you to a local rental car dealer from the port......good luck! There will be plenty of taxis at the port but none will want to take you on such a short haul. We once tried to get a taxi to take us to Europcar and several different drivers just laughed at us and told us to walk.

Hank

Out cruise ends in Civitavecchia on Sunday, June 13. We would like to rent a car there and ultimately return it in Rome on June 16. I understand there are only a couple of rental agencies opened on Sunday morning until about noontime. My question is whether or not there are taxis at the port on a Sunday which may be needed to get to the agency?

Driving and Rome are two things I'd never like to combine. If ever there was a difficult city in which to drive/park; Rome is it. Take the train instead.

Driving and Rome are two things I'd never like to combine. If ever there was a difficult city in which to drive/park; Rome is it. Take the train instead.

Having been to Rome several times I agree with your comment. We will actually be staying in Frascati, which is a hilltown about 10 miles from Rome. We are returning the vehicle to the airport.

Nibrid, I tried to do the same thing, rent a car on a Sunday in June in Civ. to go home (30 min away) for the day. I had to call to the main office in Maine, USA and then pay about $30 fee !

Sundays in June are impt. beach days for the local staff who work all week ... on their own .

I did get the car, got home, did laundry, had lunch and then returned aboard. ...but the Sunday afternoon beach to city traffic was murder!

You might do better (and cheaper) to hire a NCC car with driver to get you to Frascati . I can recommend (if they work on Sundays in June!) Fabrizio and Gianluca who live nearby the port http://www.civitavecchia-cruise-transfer.com .

Nibrid, I tried to do the same thing, rent a car on a Sunday in June in Civ. to go home (30 min away) for the day. I had to call to the main office in Maine, USA and then pay about $30 fee !

Sundays in June are impt. beach days for the local staff who work all week ... on their own .

I did get the car, got home, did laundry, had lunch and then returned aboard. ...but the Sunday afternoon beach to city traffic was murder!

You might do better (and cheaper) to hire a NCC car with driver to get you to Frascati . I can recommend (if they work on Sundays in June!) Fabrizio and Gianluca who live nearby the port http://www.civitavecchia-cruise-transfer.com .

Italylecturer.

Thank you for the information. If we do not pick up a car in Civ. we plan to get it at Fiumicino airport as that is where we plan to return the car to. So we require transportation from Civ to the airport. We will then drive ourselves to Frascati.

Would you be kind enough to confirm the website you provided. I cannot get connected to it.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Nibird2

Out cruise ends in Civitavecchia on Sunday, June 13. We would like to rent a car there and ultimately return it in Rome on June 16.

That could work with a few exceptions. Do not even think about driving in Rome - inside the perimeter; much less parking there. You could easily end up with fines exceeding the cost of the rental car. As Scottbee said, driving in Rome and in Italy are two entirely different ballgames.

Return the car at FCO and take the train into Rome.

Archived