Alert

fin

I had the same problem last evening but i am not that good with computers and was unable to use my laptop at all - everything on my desktop that i try tells me it is infected and i have to buy antivirus software and something about malware. Does anyone have the instructions for removing it that they could give me? I called my daughter in law this morning and she is going to work on it this weekend but if I can fix it myself, it would be alot quicker. Can anyone help? :eek: Thanks

I picked up a huge virus (I swear happened right after I clicked on a link on Cruise Critic) in November. It just fried my whole computer immediately. I couldn't even get to my McAfee or anything else for that matter. I bought a new computer. The old one is just sitting in my closet. Maybe I will dink with it some and see if I can do anything with it.

re: buying a new computer.

So sad that so many people do this, when the only problem is the software on the hard drive. Worse case, you reinstall everything and all is well.

Or as some mentioned above, doing a restore.

Or paying the local guy $59.95 or whatever to clean your hard drive.

And Mods, feel free to delete or move this as appropriate.

This morning I was looking at this site when my computer manifested a very nasty virus which rapidly turned a laptop into a doorstop.

I am not knowledgeable enough to know if it was picked up on this site, but it was the only one I had visited so far this morning.

If someone else gets it, you need to do a safe mode system restore as rapidly as possible.

Sorry if this is wrong venue. Best regards to all.

Same thing happened to me yesterday:eek:....had to buy a new computer.....my computer person told me it was a bad trojan??? Installed different virus protection on new computer......Hopefully it won't happen again! I can't be away from Cruise Critic!!

NayRN

Luckily I did not pick up whatever was floating around yesterday, but I just about fried my work computer a few weeks ago. It had to have been from CC as well. It took 2 IT people and 2 different spyware programs multiple days to find everything that had gotten embedded. But guess what, I got it on my personal laptop too! Except I don't have a brainy IT person at home to help fix it. I have Kaspersky software, but it does not seem to be working properly now. I tried system restore but that seemed to make it worse. Does anyone have any tips to get rid of this thing?

It is insipid. It effects the messages that your already installed anti-virus software gives you.

try going to malwarebytes dot org

if your machine blocks your going there, you've got a problem. You'll need to have a disc of same to load without being on-line.

Same thing happened to me yesterday:eek:....had to buy a new computer.....my computer person told me it was a bad trojan??? Installed different virus protection on new computer......Hopefully it won't happen again!

As the other poster mentioned, it's NOT necessary to buy a new computer just because the old one is infected with a virus. The fix is easy:

1) erase the hard drive

2) re-install the operating system and applications

3) restore your data

...and the computer is as good as new.

Will it happen again? If you're running Windows, and don't change your habits -- yes, it will happen again.

Keep this topic at the top.

It happened to me on Tuesday night.

We had been without power for 48 hours, then still had no cable/internet/phone. I was excited that I was able to get back on-line via a wireless modem borrowed from the office. Well, that lasted about 10 minutes!

After checking email I went to Cruise Critic and got ZAPPED!

This was a nasty one. I had to do a system restore and load some new antispyware and antimalware products as well as update to a newer version of antivirus.

I didn't know at 1st that Cruise Critic was the culprit as I had looked at some news sites as well. Other posts have now confirmed that CC was the source.

Archived