Alert

fin

And Mods, feel free to delete or move this as appropriate.

This morning I was looking at this site when my computer manifested a very nasty virus which rapidly turned a laptop into a doorstop.

I am not knowledgeable enough to know if it was picked up on this site, but it was the only one I had visited so far this morning.

If someone else gets it, you need to do a safe mode system restore as rapidly as possible.

Sorry if this is wrong venue. Best regards to all.

And Mods, feel free to delete or move this as appropriate.

This morning I was looking at this site when my computer manifested a very nasty virus which rapidly turned a laptop into a doorstop.

I am not knowledgeable enough to know if it was picked up on this site, but it was the only one I had visited so far this morning.

If someone else gets it, you need to do a safe mode system restore as rapidly as possible.

Sorry if this is wrong venue. Best regards to all.

I got the same one. If you need directions on how I removed it from my system, I will be more than happy to send them. annjunk at sbcglobal dot net

Don't feel bad...I got the virus too :(

Unfortunately for me, I was on my break at work and always check cruise critic, well today I was treated to a virus which infected my work computer. Apparently a firewall and updated anti-virus didn't do much to put a stop to this threat.

I was told that since we have to use internet explorer at work for compatibility issues, the script was executed automatically. Had I been able to use Mozilla (which I use at home when I am not using my Mac) this would not have happened. Once I clicked on cruise critic, I could no longer get onto ANY website. I was unable to actually run the legitimate antivirus/malware scanner we have available because it would not allow you to run executable files. I even tried to boot into safe mode with networking availability, but still could not access the internet. I then had to do a system restore to Monday and lost a few files that I saved to my desktop instead of my network location.

Sorry this happened to you, but you aren't the only one...

Don't feel bad...I got the virus too :(

Unfortunately for me, I was on my break at work and always check cruise critic, well today I was treated to a virus which infected my work computer. Apparently a firewall and updated anti-virus didn't do much to put a stop to this threat.

I was told that since we have to use internet explorer at work for compatibility issues, the script was executed automatically. Had I been able to use Mozilla (which I use at home when I am not using my Mac) this would not have happened. Once I clicked on cruise critic, I could no longer get onto ANY website. I was unable to actually run the legitimate antivirus/malware scanner we have available because it would not allow you to run executable files. I even tried to boot into safe mode with networking availability, but still could not access the internet. I then had to do a system restore to Monday and lost a few files that I saved to my desktop instead of my network location.

Sorry this happened to you, but you aren't the only one...

I am using Firefox, anti virus, and a firewall and it still got to me. Did you restore to a restore point, or did you use an image to rebuild your whole computer? If you did a restore point, you should not have lost the files on your desktop. I did a restore to the most recent restore point and that fixed my problem.

I infected one of my work PC's yesterday morning. I couldn't launch any exe's or get into control panel. I rolled back to the previous day restore point and was fine.

So here I am today, testing to see if the virus is dead.;)

Where is the sticky about the virus? I am wondering if this site is messing up my laptop. On Saturday I bought new virus protection software and ran it, I had 341 viruses!!!! My computer is working but definately not up to snuff.

Where is the sticky about the virus? I am wondering if this site is messing up my laptop. On Saturday I bought new virus protection software and ran it, I had 341 viruses!!!! My computer is working but definately not up to snuff.

They cleaned the system so apparently they also removed the sticky.

I infected one of my work PC's yesterday morning. I couldn't launch any exe's or get into control panel. I rolled back to the previous day restore point and was fine.

So here I am today, testing to see if the virus is dead.;)

You were surfing Cruise Critic at work? :eek:

PE<---;)...

The sticky isn't there.

There are several threads running here and on Carnyval boards with descriptions of the problem and some solutions.

If you have it i recommend a freebie:

malwarebytes

It is what I used a month ago. This thing isn't real new but is nasty.

Yesterday (Wed) morning I got a warning from my McAfee saying it had detected "FakeAlert-AVSoft(Trojan)" and was eliminating it. Is that the one you are talking about? I probably was on CC at the time - just didn't connect it. Guess that annual premium to McAfee is worth it after all. Now if only McAfee will protect me from the norovirus when I cruise Celebrity Mercury next month :rolleyes:.

Yesterday (Wed) morning I got a warning from my McAfee saying it had detected "FakeAlert-AVSoft(Trojan)" and was eliminating it. Is that the one you are talking about? I probably was on CC at the time - just didn't connect it. Guess that annual premium to McAfee is worth it after all. Now if only McAfee will protect me from the norovirus when I cruise Celebrity Mercury next month :rolleyes:.

And wouldn't be wonderful if McAfee worked on politicians;) Run scan Now

I am using Firefox, anti virus, and a firewall and it still got to me. Did you restore to a restore point, or did you use an image to rebuild your whole computer? If you did a restore point, you should not have lost the files on your desktop. I did a restore to the most recent restore point and that fixed my problem.

To be honest I didn't do the restore myself. My company has a policy that if we get infected to notify the IT department immediately. I tried to do some things on my own but didn't want to make things worse. I believe the restore was done from Mondays backups. I was advised I would loose anything saved locally (and did).

And wouldn't be wonderful if McAfee worked on politicians;) Run scan Now

But' date=' my McAfee doesn't have a BS mode. Is there a newer version?[/color']

PE

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could keep politics off from these boards? :rolleyes:

I used a restore point two days earlier. I had to do so in safe mode.

I had gotten the same (or very similar) infestation earlier and it basically made it impossible for any key to work. It was not even possible to get to word files saved on hard drive.

As others have mentioned, it got past a firewall and virus protection.

Clicking the link provided by Gary I was told I do not have permission to view the page. Sigh.

Ahh, so that's what happened...I got the same thing yesterday morning when I got on my computer. I thought I had just opened my yahoo email....maybe I opened one of the emails sent to me from a cruise critic message boards and that's when it happened....I didn't think I got that far. And yep, guilty I was at work....and hated having to call the IT tech and let him know I was being "naughty" and not on a work related topic.

That is one big bonus for McAfee. Yes, that is most likely the one we all got hit with. I have AVG and it missed it and someone else had Norton and it missed it. If the virus software does not catch it before it does all its nasties, one of the things is does is disable the virus software so it no longer works at all.

I need to purchase some new licenses, so this makes my decision easier.:rolleyes:

For some reason, it looks like the sticky was removed.

You probably did not have 341 viruses. Many programs report cookies as dangerous items. Cookies can be unwanted and dangerous, but I use many sites where I want them to be able to store cookies since I don't want to have to type everything every single time.

That is one big bonus for McAfee. Yes, that is most likely the one we all got hit with. I have AVG and it missed it and someone else had Norton and it missed it. If the virus software does not catch it before it does all its nasties, one of the things is does is disable the virus software so it no longer works at all.

I need to purchase some new licenses, so this makes my decision easier.:rolleyes:

I have AVG which picked up 4 Trojans on a scan and healed them.:)

Archived