Rum?

KellBella

I've really been looking forward to getting Big Black Dick rum, can I still find in in Grand Cayman? I've heard that you can and I've also heard that you can't, does anyone know for sure? I've had my heart set on it for a few months now so I really hope it's still available.

There are shops across the street from the tender area. There will be a little plaza area and it is right around there. There won't be shops near the beach you can get to. leave yourself some time to walk around and shop before you have to get back on the ship.

Where is it located at? We have a snorkeling trip, then they say they'll drop us off at 7 mile beach, is there any place around there to get it?

DW and I bought some BBD rum in December, got it at Pirates Grotto at the pier area, on or near Cardinal St. Pirates Grotto is down a flight of stairs and liquor sales toward the back.

and BBD rum had been replaced by Blackbeards Rum. Maybe sales dropped off and they went back to the old label.

AS an aside, the Tortuga Rum is made in Jamaica, not Cayman, I think by Appleton. We're going again in April and will check it out.

is made in the Caymans. They are just private labeled for the different shops. If you ever visit St. Croix, go to Cruzan Rum for as tour and see that they bottle for hundreds of brands. I believe Appleton does the same.

You definitely can buy Big Black Dick's Rum---bought it last week. We went to Blackbeard's Duty Free Liquor Pirates Grotto--it is in the Landmark building on the other side of the main street that runs along side the pier. If you see a Tortuga rum pickup truck and Tortuga rum store--it is on the right down the street. The store is actually on a corner but you need to go down a flight of stairs--the store is in the basement. The bottom of my receipt says that contact info is info@blackbeards.ky

The bottle I bought says it was distilled in the Caribbean for Big Black Dick's Rum, Cayman Islands. Our bottle (750 cc) was $14.99---but you could get 2 for $24. My daughter bought a sample pack of 4 small 50 ml bottles for $15.99. We also got a large Blackbeards rum cake for "free" because we spent over $25--had your choice of chocolate, traditional or original rumcake.

You cannot carry liquor onto the ship in the Caymans--each store takes your name, ship name, and room number and they deliver it to the ship. You won't see it until the last night of the cruise--your cabin steward will leave it in your stateroom. There is a cutoff time where they stop taking orders---I didn't pay attention since we bought it early in the day but it probably is 1--2 hours before the ship leaves.

The store also had some Big Black Dick's shot glasses and drink glasses--they were on clearance for 50% off.

We're going for a week there in April and I'm sure my daughter will buy a bottle as a joke.When I was there on a cruise a few years ago, an elderly lady (prob. in her 80's) asked the cashier at Tortuga if they had the rum with the dirty name. I later saw what she was looking for down the street. Sure got a laugh from that.

• 2 weeks later...

So wait a second...if I go to the store to buy some BBD rum and I were to hypothetically ( I obviously wouldn't because it's against the rules) want to smuggle it back on the boat, would they allow me to? Or do they have to deliver it to the boat?

Bostonguy, 2 years ago, we missed the time cutoff to purchase alcohol to be delivered to the ship. We attempted to buy a bottle of rum anyway--figured we would put it in our beach bag, and if RCL confiscated it, we would just get it back the last night of the cruise. The clerk at the liquor store we were at asked if we were on a ship--so we said no---then he asked to see our hotel key.

We were just on the Liberty of the Seas---we bought 3 bottles of Caybrew beer without any problem---for some reason, they didn't have to deliver it to the ship. But . . . when we were boarding, RCl security took it from us and gave it back the last night. When we were in Belize, Cozumel, and Costa Maya, we carried a couple of bottles of local beer onboard and no one stopped us. I am thinking it must be some time of regulations specific to Caymans.

Archived