Liquor Taken!

proudmomma

I find that it works best to use bottles that aren't used for beverages. I've taken liquor in shampoo bottles and/or sunscreen bottles (all thoroughly cleaned of course) and never had any problems. Also, last year at the Port of Miami I walked into the port (royal caribbean) with a bottle of water (it was really water) and I asked if it needed to be thrown away an they said no and it was never checked. Maybe they are less likely to check carry ons.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=CruisingPorters&date=5-30-2010&text=&ship=Liberty of the Seas

We have just returned from a 14 night trip on the Equinox. During our initial boarding in Fort Lauderdale, we did witness two separate couples get called aside for bringing alcohol in their luggage. In addition, we did hear of very creditable stories of many more people not able to get their luggage until going to security and seeing their alcohol being confiscated until the end of the cruise. Celebrity are just not fooling around. Remember, you agreed that you abide by the rules in the cruise ticket contract.

I just have no sympathy for people that break the rules. It does two things. First, it can, and has made things very uncomfortable for fellow cruisers due to people intoxicated from what they smuggle on board, and second it is bound to make everyone's cruise prices increase due to reduced income from legitimate liquor sales.

For you people out there that continue to do this, time you showed a bit of consideration, not only for the cruise line but your fellow passengers.

I wonder if someone has had too many visits to Disney's FantasyLand? Consideration of fellow passengers by not bringing liquor on board? ROFLMAO

I can't believe I forgot to share this.. My DH and I brought 2 bottles of smart water bottles filled with vodka. Mine went through, his got taken and replaced with an orange note, saying sorry, we took it. :eek: So it seems to be like a totally random check.

Oh and to all those who thinks this is breaking the rules.. Trust me, I know and I usually obey rules of all kinds, although.. We still spent $400 on liquor for 4 days.. so they didn't miss out on our $. :p

(Oh this was on the Celebrity Century Western Carribean)

glad they caught you. I think they should deny boarding to those who so willfully break their rules

Never been on Celebrity. Are you allowed to purchase in the duty free shops and have it delivered to your room. Or, do they go by the Royal Caribbean policy of holding the purchase until the end of the cruise?

Hi. Glad to see you're still on these boards. As a matter of fact we were showing our pictures from our trip to friends last night (first time we actually looked at them) and I have a picture of you in Costa Maya at the luncheon at the Mayen's home. I had rum runners, and the only time I was intoxicated was drinking Marguerites (sp.?) in Cozumel. Got smashed......I'm looking at another cruise already, possibly either July or November. I hope July, I'm ready.... Take care.

The girl in green......

another reason we cruise Princess:D Your allowed to bring wine and champagne on. We've never had a problem bringing other stuff also. And before everyone can say...................... Our bar bill is high even with us bringing stuff on. It's more to have cocktails before dinner on the balcony or lots of times if we're cruising with friends, we each host pre-dinner drinks in each others cabins before we meet for dinner.

Come on, drink prices are going up no matter how much is smuggled on. If they were making up for smuggled booze they'd be a lot more then they are now. Drinks are the same price over market (what you would pay off ship) as they have been for the past 20 years, there has been no exponential increase.

You people act like these cruise lines are cutting things so close to the vest that they have to raise prices because someone brought on a $20 bottle of vodka, be serious.

My last cruise I didn't drink at all, does that cost you more too? or for that matter you should be giving evil eyes to every child and non drinker on a ship as they are making you pay more. I'm sorry, I'm not buying it for one second.

I do not know where you get your data, it seems like you just sort of make it up. If you look at RCCL's earning report for 2009 they lost 36.2M dollars last year. Q1 2010 was break even. So yes, cruise lines at least RCCL in this case are looking to trim every penny. They are in the business of making money. Not losing it.

The profit margin and top line sales on liquor is among the highest on the ship, this is financially a huge 1 - 2 punch. much higher that photos, so your camera analogy is completely wrong.

Where you get no exponential drink price increase ove 20 yrs is beyond me (maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say.)

B.

Whatever the reason is, the fact is that they don't allow liquor to be brought onboard. If you get caught you'll just have to live with the consequences, whatever they may be.

I just find it interesting that someone would post about how proud they are to be smuggling liquor on board.

I've often wondered what would be the effect if there was no rule on bringing alcohol on board?? Would we see people showing up with several cases of beer, multiple bottles of whiskey, gin, vodka etc.? Would we see groups of cruisers setting up their own hospitality rooms? We could really liven up the Connections Party if we could bring our own drinks:D I really think the rule is in place to prevent events like this taking place.

I've read through this whole thread and I don't seem to find the answer.

Last I checked, vodka and water look completely the same in a bottle or glass. So how did they know it was vodka? This implies that Celebrity actually opened your bottles and either smelled or drank the vodka. Would they only do this if they saw the bottle was already opened? What if you had discretely superglued the caps back?

I'm not advocating smuggling, I'm just concerned about how much authority and to what extent they are allowed to search belongings. If I have a bottle of shampoo or lotion in my suitcase, am I expected that they are going to open all of these as well?

If you lock your suitcase with a TSA lock, do they have access with a TSA key? Or do they just simply cut your lock off?

Whatever the reason is, the fact is that they don't allow liquor to be brought onboard. If you get caught you'll just have to live with the consequences, whatever they may be.

I just find it interesting that someone would post about how proud they are to be smuggling liquor on board.

I sure am!!! I figured it out...it saved me over $600.00. But as i said earlier we purchased a bottle of wine EVERY night for dinner so I made my donation.

I've read through this whole thread and I don't seem to find the answer.

Last I checked, vodka and water look completely the same in a bottle or glass. So how did they know it was vodka? This implies that Celebrity actually opened your bottles and either smelled or drank the vodka. Would they only do this if they saw the bottle was already opened? What if you had discretely superglued the caps back?

I'm not advocating smuggling, I'm just concerned about how much authority and to what extent they are allowed to search belongings. If I have a bottle of shampoo or lotion in my suitcase, am I expected that they are going to open all of these as well?

If you lock your suitcase with a TSA lock, do they have access with a TSA key? Or do they just simply cut your lock off?

Vodka and water look VERY different..... put each in a plastic bottle and shake it. The vodka will appear bubbly, the water will not. :eek:

A cruise ship is not a public place. You are on the ship because they are allowing you to be on their private property. They have all the authority they need to do whatever search they deem appropriate. So, yes, you can expect them to open anything in your suitcase if they determine a need to do so. If there is a lock on the suitcase, you will be contacted to come to a specific area to unlock it before the search will continue - certainly not a good use of your time during your first hours on board.

Kind of reminds me of how young children get excited when they stick their tongues out at someone behind their backs and don't get caught :rolleyes:

Nah...I'm an adult now...I just raise my finger at the perfect people.

A cruise ship is not a public place. You are on the ship because they are allowing you to be on their private property. They have all the authority they need to do whatever search they deem appropriate. So, yes, you can expect them to open anything in your suitcase if they determine a need to do so. If there is a lock on the suitcase, you will be contacted to come to a specific area to unlock it before the search will continue - certainly not a good use of your time during your first hours on board.

I'm trying to figure out how they would contact you. Since you're not boarding with your luggage, do they just leave a note on your door telling you to come to the luggage room before they will deliver it to your stateroom?

Archived