Documentation for bringing along friends of our son?

Tom-n-Cheryl

Having not done this before on Celebrity (we have a few times on Carnival) - I just wanted to run this by "the experts" here to see what your experiences have been.

Our 18 year old son will be bringing along 3 of his 17 year old friends for our 5/30/10 Solstice sailing.

Here is what I found on the Celebrity site:

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa (or certified copy of the child's birth certificate) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

Could anyone here verify that this is all that is needed? It is exactly what we have taken along on our Carnival sailings with his friends - and in reality nobody (at check-in) ever asked for the paperwork!

Thanks!

Tom

Any time you are taking an unrelated minor child out of the country, you need all the paperwork that was listed in your post, with permission from BOTH parents.

(In addition, if only one parent is taking a minor child out of the United States, the other parent must provide a notarized document acknowledging the child is leaving the country with the other parent.)

You can practically bet that if you neglect to get the notarized papers, you will be asked for them ... ;)

I took our grandson to Bermuda without his parents. The form from the cruise line required both parents to sign and notarize and be sent in before hand but they never looked at it when we boarded or thereafter. The law requires both parents(its in an anti parental kidnapping treaty) that some countries do enforce....better safe then sorry...

We have yet to sail on Celebrity, but have sailed on HAL and Princess.

I am probably bringing way more than I need to but I would hate to be stuck at the ship trying to board and not have the correct documentation. Here is what I have brought:

Because I was a single parent -

My son's passport and a notorized letter from his father giving his permission for the trip listing the dates and the ports we would be visiting.

For my son's under 18 friends -

Their passport. A notorized letter covering the trip, ports, and full medical authorization. A letter naming their doctor with phone number, listing any medical conditions and any medications the child is on (I certainly wouldn't remember the details in an emergency). And, a signed agreement with the parents that if the child needs to fly home or be hospitalized while on the trip that the parents will be responsible for the bill.

And, just so I can be extra anal retentive....I have a copy to give at the check in for the ship, I keep originals in my carry on that is always with me, and I have scanned copies of everything in my laptop that we also bring with us. I've never had to use any of it - but it's there if I need it.

I am so glad all the kids are over 18 now and so are their friends!!!!!

Any time you are taking an unrelated minor child out of the country, you need all the paperwork that was listed in your post, with permission from BOTH parents.

(In addition, if only one parent is taking a minor child out of the United States, the other parent must provide a notarized document acknowledging the child is leaving the country with the other parent.)

You can practically bet that if you neglect to get the notarized papers, you will be asked for them ... ;)

Thanks.

-- and you can bet we wouldn't consider going without proper paperwork, as you are correct - if we didn't it WOULD be requested!

I was curious as to why the Celebrity site indicated that ONE parent was sufficient. One of the children lost his father a couple of months ago -- Tragic...

Tom

I emailed Celebrity. The response is below. They said only one parent's permission but I always feel better having both notorize the document. I add the ports to be visited too. Also, even though there are no custody issues with my husband but I always have him notorize a document too. I have never been asked for it but I would hate to be standing at the port without it!

The response was:

Adults who are not the parent or legal guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid Passport (or certified copy of the child's Birth Certificate) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parents must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise (list name of ship, cruise date and reservation number) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any emergency medical treatment that must be administered to the child. Regrettably, we do not have forms for this requirement.

I emailed Celebrity. The response is below. They said only one parent's permission but I always feel better having both notorize the document. I add the ports to be visited too. Also, even though there are no custody issues with my husband but I always have him notorize a document too. I have never been asked for it but I would hate to be standing at the port without it!

The response was:

Adults who are not the parent or legal guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid Passport (or certified copy of the child's Birth Certificate) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parents must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise (list name of ship, cruise date and reservation number) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any emergency medical treatment that must be administered to the child. Regrettably, we do not have forms for this requirement.

Yep - that's very similar to their website... apparently only adding in the reservation #.

No doubt their lawyers are the people behind them "not having the forms" ! ;)

Tom

X's lawyer is wrong

http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/foia_reading_room/usam/title9/crm01957.htm

maybe he is the same guy who told them it was ok to impose the fuel surcharge retroactively(which the Florida Ag went after them for and they had to back down)....

I fully agree that it would be best to have the paperwork signed by both parents and notarized, though I read the link you provided and missed (evidently) references to required paperwork. If someone were intent on taking a child out of country, I doubt it would be difficult to forge some notary seal -- and they would be long gone. Sure you could prosecute them later, at least in our country - but that won't necessarily bring the child back.

Tom

A letter naming their doctor with phone number, listing any medical conditions and any medications the child is on (I certainly wouldn't remember the details in an emergency). And, a signed agreement with the parents that if the child needs to fly home or be hospitalized while on the trip that the parents will be responsible for the bill.

Great idea!

I fully agree that it would be best to have the paperwork signed by both parents and notarized, though I read the link you provided and missed (evidently) references to required paperwork. If someone were intent on taking a child out of country, I doubt it would be difficult to forge some notary seal -- and they would be long gone. Sure you could prosecute them later, at least in our country - but that won't necessarily bring the child back.

Tom

while this is true you really want both parents signature so that YOU aren't accused of kidnapping by some nut job and there are plenty out there having both parents sign protects YOU.

some counties require both signatures....so better safe then sorry. Yes their are always some people who don't follow the rules but the letter is to protect you as well as the cruise line...

while this is true you really want both parents signature so that YOU aren't accused of kidnapping by some nut job and there are plenty out there having both parents sign protects YOU.

some counties require both signatures....so better safe then sorry. Yes their are always some people who don't follow the rules but the letter is to protect you as well as the cruise line...

Here is a link I found which has a few useful forms.

Minor Travel Consent

That would be a good start for many people. (I feel like I should place a disclaimer HERE... LOL) :)

Tom

We will be sailing in a few weeks with my DD's best friend. (both 17)

We got the same information to put in the notorized letter from the TA but she also said Celebrity told her to include that the parents give her permission to participate in any shore excursions and shipboard activities with us.

And she was told it should be signed and notorized by both parents.

Have fun!!

We will be sailing in a few weeks with my DD's best friend. (both 17)

We got the same information to put in the notorized letter from the TA but she also said Celebrity told her to include that the parents give her permission to participate in any shore excursions and shipboard activities with us.

And she was told it should be signed and notorized by both parents.

Have fun!!

Coorect - be on the safe side and include excursions and ship board activities in the authorization. This is probably more important on RC as they have individual waivers for rock climbing, surfing, skating, etc - but it is best to cover yourself.

When I boarded the ship - I handed them a copy of the papers (saved the time of them copying them) and I really don't think that they looked at thime.

I think that you have all the legal aspects covered from all the posts previously, but I would like to make a suggestion which we felt was very important. We took a group of

five teenage girls ( high school age ) on a cruise during the summer and again on a spring break trip. BEFORE we left on both trips, we had a meeting with the girls AND their parents in our home. We had the parents fill out a medical information form listing allergies, medicines that they take, any medical issues, etc. etc. They also listed all of their contact information in case of emergencies......work numbers, cell numbers, grandparents' numbers, etc. We took all of the medical info and put an additional form for emergency medical treatment.......a release for treatment. In addition to this, we also discussed RULES. We made it very clear what they were going to be allowed to do and what they were not allowed to do. The girls all agreed on abiding by the rules and curfew times and agreed on the "stay together" rule.........none of them were allowed to go anywhere alone. Each parent made it very clear to the girls that we were in charge and if they couldn't abide by the rules, we were to call them immediately and the girls were to be sent home early. I really feel that it is extremely important for everyone to be on the same page. Taking other people's children on a trip is a big responsibility !!!

We took a 16-year-old friend on our Summit cruise out of San Juan last spring. When the person checking us in noticed the different last names, she asked for the documentation and called a supervisor to make sure that everything was in order. We did have signatures of both of the friend's parents.

When you have spent so much $$ and looked forward to a cruise for so long, I figure better to be safe than sorry! (And yes, I am one who ALWAYS buys travel insurance, too :))

Take with you the documents that Celebrity requests along with a copy of the documentation they sent you on what you needed.

The two parent consent generally does not apply to cruises but applies to any country you might be going to where you are staying for more than 24 hours. Remember that the cruise line is only following the requirements of the countries you will visit and that is where the 24 hr. rule applies...

I had no problem flying out of the USA with my grand daughter. however departing Italy was another story. They held us up in customs to be sure all of the documents were in order.

Ithink it is very important to list the countries they will be in and that you have the parents permission to take them into those countries individually as well as the cruise in general.

I think a lot depends on the custom agent you get.

Archived