State Dept. issues Travel Advisory for Turkey

I found out today that the State Department has issued a travel alert for Turkey. This alert expires on April 30 so I'm hoping that things will have calmed down by then:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_4758.html

Thank you OhJinkies for the heads up. I never thought of checking status of our visiting countries. I know my wife will feel a little safer knowing we registered our itinerary with the state.

Thanks again,

Edput

So we're doing the dream cruise from Athens to Turkey with extra time in both Greece and Turkey and the news is not very encouraging. How vulnerable are we if we stay away from demonstrations, etc? This is supposed to be educational and relaxing! Followed the link given and registered with state dept. but not sure how frequent these travel advisories are issued. Think maybe I'll develop an accent, oh maybe Italian, or just say, if asked, that we're Canadian:eek:

So we're doing the dream cruise from Athens to Turkey with extra time in both Greece and Turkey and the news is not very encouraging. How vulnerable are we if we stay away from demonstrations, etc? This is supposed to be educational and relaxing! Followed the link given and registered with state dept. but not sure how frequent these travel advisories are issued. Think maybe I'll develop an accent, oh maybe Italian, or just say, if asked, that we're Canadian:eek:

I would not worry unduly. Travel advisories are cause for concern, but the cruise lines will evaluate the situation and will generally not dock somewhere if there is a significant risk to passenger safety.

I am on a cruise in September that is headed to Turkey and Israel (both with Travel advisories) and Greece (with unrest and demonstrations). I am hoping for the best!! :)

We were booked on a river cruise in Egypt right after the uss cole bombing and a travel warning, not advisiory was issued. Decided to just go for it and glad we did,,,but only 6 of original tour showed up from US...total of 30 on boat in all....must say we had excellent service, felt totally safe, maybe due to armed guards,and had a great time regardless.

Just try to blend in with locals as far a dress, hide cameras and maps,take advice from ships crew,avoid crowds ,etc....just use common sense and you ll do fine..:D

Archived