Alcohol Waiver

Blake2737

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has utilized Celebrity's Alcohol Waiver for minors. We are leaving for a cruise out of San Juan, where the drinking age is 18. I believe this "law" can be carried onboard using the waiver, but wasn't sure if this has worked for anyone in the past. Thanks! :)

Celebrity's web site, in discussing the alcohol waiver, says this waiver is only applicable to Europe, South America, and Australian cruises. Otherwise, their policy on age 21 being the minimum for serving alcohol appears to apply company-wide.

Their policy:

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/pdf/faq/Alcohol_Waiver_Celebrity.pdf

Yes, I saw the same thing but previously on the website had seen a description saying "any country of origin in which the drinking age is less than 21." Oh well, just wondering if anyone has had any luck with this. Thanks again.

I guess we could just try it out...?

That rule only applies to cruises that don't start and end in a US port. Since San Juan is considered a US port, they will not do the alcohol waiver. Like the website says, this is only for cruises that start in a foreign port and go to mainly places in Europe or South America.

• 4 months later...
That rule only applies to cruises that don't start and end in a US port. Since San Juan is considered a US port, they will not do the alcohol waiver. Like the website says, this is only for cruises that start in a foreign port and go to mainly places in Europe or South America.

I realize this topic is a bit stale, but.... I called Celebrity and asked them whether or not the alcohol waiver can be used when sailing out of San Juan (with a drinking age of 18), since the drinking age in the US is 21 and San Juan is a US territory. I was told yes, it can be used, because they consider San Juan to be a South American port.

Has anyone utilized the alcohol waiver when sailing out of San Juan?

I think someone needs to take Geography 101.....

Geography and what they consider to be something can be completly different things. For example, SJU is considered, by most airlines to be an international flight, although a flight to SJU from the USA would be considered domestic, it is not.

Geography and what they consider to be something can be completly different things. For example, SJU is considered, by most airlines to be an international flight, although a flight to SJU from the USA would be considered domestic, it is not.

If true, this is certainly new. I did not have to pass through customs when I flew there on American. Didn't even leave from the international terminal at DFW...

If true, this is certainly new. I did not have to pass through customs when I flew there on American. Didn't even leave from the international terminal at DFW...

Correct, PR is a US territory. PR is not a sovereign nation. PR uses US passports and receive US citizenship upon birth.

For the purposes of customs, not international. For the purposes of pricing and airline policies, yes.

Just as a reminder, Celebrity's stateside customer service on the phone is very often incorrect to put it mildly...

I was once told that, due to the earthquke in Haiti, the Celebrity ship that was next scheduled to stop at Labadee had their stop cancelled. She wasn't sure, but thought it was the Xpedition.:eek: No, the next Celebrity ship scheduled to call on Labadee (ours) did not cancel the stop.

Sounds like you should fill out the form and take it on board but it may or may not be accepted.

That's exactly what I plan to do. If they refuse it, then oh well. If they accept it, great!

It wouldn't be the first time I've been told something by customer service on a cruiseline that was incorrect and it surely won't be the last. Regardless, we'll all still have a grand time!

Out of curiosity, I think I'll give them a call again, and see what the answer is :)

I realize this topic is a bit stale, but.... I called Celebrity and asked them whether or not the alcohol waiver can be used when sailing out of San Juan (with a drinking age of 18), since the drinking age in the US is 21 and San Juan is a US territory. I was told yes, it can be used, because they consider San Juan to be a South American port.

Has anyone utilized the alcohol waiver when sailing out of San Juan?

WOW, someone at Celebrity needs to go back to school. San Juan is nowhere near South America. Perhaps if the agent said it's considered a Caribbean destination, I would put more weight into the answer. But saying SJ is in South America......I wouldn't put much stock into that answer.

• 1 year later...

I am sailing with my 19 year old daughter on 8/19 on the Summit to Bermuda.When I called celebrity I was told I can sign a waiver at embarkation to allow her to purchase alcohol. Is this correct? Does anyone have info on this issue ? I know website states otherwise. Just want to let her know what to expect.

Archived