How young is too young to cruise??

High Cs

I know babies and kids of all ages go on cruises, but at what age do they really understand and enjoy the cruise? We are thinking of taking granddaughter (now two) on a cruise. What age is best and which cruise line?

Any advice is appreciated!!

It really depends on the child....some children are not ready for cruising as infants/toddlers. A good way to tell is if your grandchild is ok with settings likes dining out...or going to a show...being around crowds of people. etc.

If so, then 2 is a great age..and Carnival has Camp Carnival for age 2. So I would say depending on price, you should look at Carnival, disney and RCCL...

A child of any age can cruise...but they probably won't remember it until they hit 3 or 4...maybe later!

You do NOT cruise for the kids...you cruise for your OWN enjoyment....a small child is happy wherever they are, if their caregiver is happy. Don't pay for a cruise strictly for a 2 year old!

this doesn't necessarily apply to cruising, but it could :)

I took my daughter to Walt Disney World when she was 1 (in fact she turned 1 while we were there). I cannot tell you how many people told me that she wouldn't remember it, so why would we spend the money and time to take her.

While she doesn't remember it, she had the BEST time! She laughed at the characters, enjoyed the rides, etc.

I think everyone benefits from vacation - no matter how old they are. It's a change of pace from the norm.

So I say take your granddaughter and enjoy it!!

I took my daughter to Walt Disney World when she was 1 (in fact she turned 1 while we were there). I cannot tell you how many people told me that she wouldn't remember it, so why would we spend the money and time to take her.

While she doesn't remember it, she had the BEST time! She laughed at the characters, enjoyed the rides, etc.

I think everyone benefits from vacation - no matter how old they are. It's a change of pace from the norm.

We did the same with our son he was 1 1/2 at Disney world..and we had the same questions asked..same with the cruising..

Well I would really like to say "If we want to spend the money on a vacation with our infant, then that is our business" LOL of course I wouldn't...it seems the ones who usually ask those questions are the ones whom have never vacationed like that with their infant...almost like an excuse they tell themselves for not doing it :rolleyes:

We had fun cruising with our son when he was 3 months and 15 months, and we leave on Friday for a cruise and he's 24 months. He won't remember the cruises when he grows up, but he has loved them. He's so exciting about the airplane and the taxi and the big boat we're going to get on.

It'll probably be more relaxing for us when he's older, but it's still fun.

I took ds on cruises when he was 2, 3 and 4. IMO, the most enjoyable cruise, for everyone, was when he was 4. He was old enough to sit through dinner, without clanking his cutlery, plates and glasses and without imminent danger of spilling his drink. He was old enough to go to the kids club and ask to go again and again. He was old enough to go on excursions that the whole family enjoyed.

I see your previous cruise was on Princess. If you are looking to do Princess again, you might want to wait until your grand-daughter is 3 so she can go in their kids club.

My kids started cruising as babies so there really is no perfect age for cruising. They loved it then and they love it now. ;)

My grandson just turned 5 and is going on his 5th cruise. He is SO excited he can't stand it. He was explaining to me about all the things he's done in the past, explaining to me about the different decks and what he's going to do this time. They might not remember everything, but on his second cruise he knew there would be a cookie on that table just waiting for him. His are all on Princess.

I have taken my granddaughters on cruises for years. The oldest now 9, first went with us when she was 2. The second one was a little older maybe but not quite 3. Both were on Disney. We have gone on Rccl, Carnival, Cunard and this week we go on Ncl. There were some ackward moments on The Queen Mary when the kids entered the pool or accompanied us to dinner, people actually looked at us as if to say kids weren't welcome. I don't think they remember the cruises at 2, but my husband and I do and what great memories! Why we probably had a great time was we went to have fun with the kids and schedules and dining times were never priorities. If it was a good day and they weren't tired we went to the dining room, if not we ate at the buffet. Certainly none of the restrictions kids put on you ruined our time. The times we have had with our grandkids on cruises have been wonderful and I hope we have many more! It is not the same experience as when my husband and I go alone, but wonderful in a different way. If you want to take a 2 yr. old go and have a great time! My son just got them passports so he and his wife must like the break it gives them..

We did Disney with my son at 18 mos and his sister at almost 3. We just did the Carnival Dream with my son at 2 1/2 and my daughter having just turned 4.

It's what you make of it.

Will they remember it? I take hundreds of pictures which run as a slideshow on the family computer. They see those pictures all the time, so even if they don't remember the trip .... they remember the pictures : )

I think it helps if the kids are all potty trained and have good bladder control. Although there is no monitoring of it per se - Carnival prohibits use of swim diapers ..... so make sure you don't expect that they can use the pool if they are not trained.

To me, its all about the family experience. I get a thrill out of seeing my kids happy and enjoying something new. I do it more for me then for them indirectly. So, if you can afford it, and you enjoy spending time with the kids .... then bring them along!!!!

We took DD at age 2 1/2 on her first cruise. The first thing I would recommend is finding a cruise line that will take two year olds in the kids center. I was quite surprised to learn that DD almost 3 could go in the kids center when we went on our cruise to Hawaii on NCL!! That was an added bonus. NCL allows two year olds and Princess didn't. (Her first cruise was with Princess about 5 months before the NCL Cruise) I had no idea there were different ages for different cruise lines. I'd be sure to find one that allowed 2 year olds so you can have a few minutes of R&R. :)

That was what I was going to post. I have been to Disney 4 times, and the first time my kids went (I had 3 at the time) they were 1, 2 and 7. Everyone said the younger 2 would not enjoy it or remember, and while they may not remember, they had so much fun that day and the SMILES was just priceless. And I will remember forever, and have lots of pictures and video to show them someday as well. I say take her Grandma! It will still be a special time that you will remember!

I think that babies/toddlers (and all of us) have selective memories. My oldest son was just over two when we took him to DW in 1978, and doesn't remember a thing, even after looking at pictures (where he was mostly asleep in the stroller because it was so hot). He does remember, though, the orange popsicle he got from Safeway (one of those demo things) a couple of months later when we were grocery shopping! I took pictures of my five from birth onward, and there are things they remember, and things they don't. We take pictures for OUR memories, which doesn't always include THEIRS. My parents did the same thing. I remember feeding a calf on a farm when I was three, but nothing about the week we spent at the beach a month before, even though there are plenty of pictures.

I guess it depends on what kinds of understanding you are looking for. My son is 3 and and he understands certain things about cruises: there is chocolate milk, room service, ice cream, glass elevators, an arcade and a play room that he loves. He does get excited for the cruise, but for different reasons than we do. If you are looking for a comprehensive understanding of how the ship travels to ports and how each port is different, I think that from 3 -5 most kids would start to understand that.

I would choose a line that has a kids club for her age. At 2 that would be Carnival, NCL, and (Disney?). Carnival will change diapers, NCL will page you to change the diaper. When kids turn 3, the kids clubs on most all the big lines will be open to them, but the kids do have to be totally potty trained.

What an awesome Grandma you are!

Will they remember it? I. . . To me, its all about the family experience. I get a thrill out of seeing my kids happy and enjoying something new. I do it more for me then for them indirectly. So, if you can afford it, and you enjoy spending time with the kids .... then bring them along!!!!

A person is the sum of ALL of the experiences that they have had over their lifetime - both those that they consiously remember and those that they do not.

DD has traveled with us her whole life -- does she remember Carmel from the trip when she was 8MO -- no. But when she was 3YO she did distinctly recall Yosimite from the same west coast trip (that blew my mind!)

When my DD was about 5YO, we took her and my parents on a cruise. My father was already having memory issues brought on by a series of mini-strokes. Did we ever consider leaving him behind because we knew he wouldn't "remember" any of this in just a few years (which, BTW, turned out to be more like just a few months). Part of MY enjoyment of the trip was to have my parents and my child there.

Almost anyone, no matter what their mental capacity or development, will benefit from the closeness of being near those who love them. Even an infant who willl not "remember" any port or any dinner or any of the activities from the trip will internalize the experience of being with people that they love who are doing something that they love to do. Mom's not rushing off to make dinner, Dad's not buried in bill paying, big brother's not on his way to soccer practice, Grandma - well, baby is ALWAYS front-and-center in Grandma's attention - but hey even she's somehow more relaxed!

If there are no medical restrictions or concerns for baby. If the cruise line allows infants of baby's age -- there is no reason why baby should not come along. Have a great time.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice. You definitely gave me a different (better) perspective.

We will probably wait until at least age three for the Kids Club and the potty trained issues but I can't wait to introduce her to cruising!

My advice? 6 months to 15 months.....and then anything from age 3 on :) .

Just me personally (and based on some bad experiences) but the only bad cruise we had was when one of my daughters was 23 months old. We've taken them at 9 months and 3 and older, and always had a great time.

A person is the sum of ALL of the experiences that they have had over their lifetime - both those that they consiously remember and those that they do not.

DD has traveled with us her whole life -- does she remember Carmel from the trip when she was 8MO -- no. But when she was 3YO she did distinctly recall Yosimite from the same west coast trip (that blew my mind!)

When my DD was about 5YO, we took her and my parents on a cruise. My father was already having memory issues brought on by a series of mini-strokes. Did we ever consider leaving him behind because we knew he wouldn't "remember" any of this in just a few years (which, BTW, turned out to be more like just a few months). Part of MY enjoyment of the trip was to have my parents and my child there.

Almost anyone, no matter what their mental capacity or development, will benefit from the closeness of being near those who love them. Even an infant who willl not "remember" any port or any dinner or any of the activities from the trip will internalize the experience of being with people that they love who are doing something that they love to do. Mom's not rushing off to make dinner, Dad's not buried in bill paying, big brother's not on his way to soccer practice, Grandma - well, baby is ALWAYS front-and-center in Grandma's attention - but hey even she's somehow more relaxed!

If there are no medical restrictions or concerns for baby. If the cruise line allows infants of baby's age -- there is no reason why baby should not come along. Have a great time.

Indeed! The real question should be: "How old is too old for your child's first cruise?" :D

We took our daughter on a cruise when she was 6 months old. Not something we'll repeat in the future. :D However, we did take her to Disneyland when she was 19 months and she had a blast. I can only imagine your granddaughter would have fun on a cruise as well. Between everything on the ship and possible excursions you could do, I'm sure she'll be more than occupied.

As for cruise line, we've sailed on RCCL without kids and Carnival with. I'd give the slight edge to RCCL, but it may have just been the fact that we were free to do whatever we wanted on those cruises. :) That's the biggest adjustment to cruising with kids. (or at least little ones). Unless your kid is an angel and can sleep through anything, you'll end up calling it a night and hanging out on the balcony at 8pm most nights while the kids are asleep.

If you have the patience and the mindset to work around her schedule though, you'll have a lot of fun.

Archived