Help! Bad Knee- Can I do Pompeii? or Herculaneum?

Litehouse9

Hi. I am a 60 year old with two problems: a slightly "gimpy" knee (I use a cane to help walk), and then: arthritis in the spine and spinal stenosis, so I can only be upright (walking or standing) for 10 min, and then I have to sit for 3-4 minutes. Then I am good to go again.

For those who have been to Pompeii and/or Herculaneum-- do you think I could handle those? Or would it be too much?

I am resigned to "what I see, I see" and not having a huge list of things to do on my cruise... just to "go with it" and see what happens. But I would love to see Pompeii or Herculaneum... have always been fascinated with those places. (WHY did I not go when I was in my healthy 30's or 40's????) :confused:

I would appreciate any (honest) feedback from anyone who has been there... Thank you so much!

While Pompei is relatively flat, the walks and roads are large cobble stones. Plus the curbs are high. The area is pretty spread out and I don't recall seeing lots of places to sit. Frankly, it might be too tough on you. Especially if you have to stop every 10 minutes and rest.

Pompei_street.JPG.f2ff1263aecf41fe1c6a58a9e384e2cf.JPG

I found Pompeii to be strenuous and do agree there is nowhere to really sit and rest. Another concern is that the guides have to move their groups very quickly as each group has some sort of time limit in each area. Personally I think you should fore go Pompeii, sadly.

Why don't you set up a private tour so you can rest when you need to and set your own schedule. The tour can be tailored to those areas in Pompeii that would be more accessible for you.

I think you can make it. Pompeii is not as bad as Ephesus. I just got home from back-to-back cruises. I have a knee with almost zero cartlidge and since January 9, tendonitis due to a poorly given cortisone shot. Even with all that I was able to handle much more difficult sites on those cruises than Pompeii. People underestimate what others with disabilities can do.

I limped out of Pompeii. It was really too much for my knees and back. Have a look at the National Archaeological Museum website to see if that might be something you'd enjoy. The displays are objects found at Pompeii and Herculaneum. We really enjoyed it.

http://sights.seindal.dk/sight/1073_National_Archaeological_Museum.html

If you go on a group tour and find that you are not as mobile as you thought, you will end up messing up the tour for everyone else on it. I have been on too many tours with people who thought that they were mobile but weren't. If Pompeii is that important to you, O would do it with a private tour.

Another thought might be to try to find a company that does tours for people with handicaps and see if they have something that will work for you. Check out this site

http://www.slowtrav.com/europe/disabled_travel.htm

They talk specifically about Pomeii.

Litehouse9, would you consider a travel wheelchair? We have a lightweight, folding wheelchair for my mother (who is 87) so she can travel with us and be comfortable, as well as not worry about holding the rest of the family back. She is quite able to walk but, like you, gets tired easily and would certainly not be able to cover the ground we do on trips on her feet.

Particularly as you are mobile for short distances, the chair won't hold you back either. We got on and off trains and buses, went up and down stairs to the subway, etc. on our Med cruise last summer - when we encountered steps, Mom got up and walked, and she had the energy to do so because she wasn't worn out. It was a great solution for us.

I will say, however, that she resisted this idea for several years until a misreading of a map (my fault) in Ireland two years ago meant that she had to walk about two miles one afternoon. That experience convinced her to try something different, and now that she has, she can't believe she waited so long.

I actually think that Pompeii is worth doing, even if you don't get to see all of it. The suggestion was good to consider a travel wheelchair, but you would need a traveling companion who is willing/able to push you, and you didn't say whom you are traveling with. Private tours are usually pricey unless you have several people splitting the cost, and you might find some on your roll call who are looking to do this. Otherwise, I'm sure you can get some info on these boards for how to get to Pompeii on your own, then you could just go at your own pace and see as much as you feel able. Pompeii was a highlight of our Western Med cruise.

Check out the private tours. I'm going to assume you are not travelling alone and most of the time private tours cost less than a ships tour and you have the advantage of not having large groups and going at your own pace and seeing what you want to see. There are lots of posts of people who have used private tours and you can get the names of the tour companies they used from the posts.

Ships tours are notoriously expensive but a lot of people ise them because they feel comfortable with them but for your money and for value, you can do a lot better with a private tour.

I agree that Pompeii is worth seeing, even with your disability. It will not be super easy, but certainly doable, especially if you don't want to do many other things that day- if you are willing to spend the time at Pompeii to see the things you are most interested in seeing, I mean.

I agree that a private tour seems to be the way to go for you, so you aren't holding up others and can make sure you have time to rest when you need to. I don't think a travel wheelchair would work in either place, because of the uneven ground and cobblestone. I have young children and wouldn't attempt to bring even my jogging stroller with bike wheels to Pompeii (I live in Naples and have been to Pompeii and Herculaneum multiple times).

I don't think a travel wheelchair would work in either place, because of the uneven ground and cobblestone. I have young children and wouldn't attempt to bring even my jogging stroller with bike wheels to Pompeii (I live in Naples and have been to Pompeii and Herculaneum multiple times).

You wouldn't think so, I certainly didn't, but once we tried it we found it works great, even with uneven ground. We have traveled widely with the chair and the only places we have found where it absolutely won't work is deep sand and deep, loose gravel.

Also, the OP doesn't need the chair for complete mobility, but rather for a rest and some mobility.

For what it's worth, we first tried one of those canes that is also a seat - not stable enough, heavy to carry and cumbersome.

Herculaneum is much more accessible. I would suggest you go there. There is a lot to see and because it is more compact you will have a much better appreciation of things. In comparison Pompeii is expansive the ground is uneven and it is easy to get lost because the roads all look the same.

Also you can look down at the Hurculaneum site and see a better overall view. If you then don't feel up to walking right round you could do just part of it and see the rest from above.

We did both and I much preferred Herculaneum. We did this by train and the only problem you may have would be walking down the hill to the site and back up to the train station. But you could probably get a taxi there or private tour company.

You don't say when your going but if its hot there is very little shelter at Pompeii.

Babs

Crown Princess June 2007

Navigator of the Seas February 2008

Emerald Princess August 2008

Grand Princess May 2009

upcoming Pacific Princess July 2010

We've been to both Pompeii and Herculaneum and loved seeing both. Pompeii is much more spread out than Herculaneum and impossible to see everything in one visit. The only thing I would add from whats already been said is that theres a very steep incline and steps at the entrance to Pompeii . Herculaneum is at the bottom of a very steep incline but theres a private road down to the site and Im not sure if it would be possible to get transport down eg: a private car.I know when we went it was quite a walk from where we were dropped off at the top . .....Jen

Thanks everyone for your opinions, suggestions, etc. on this. Appreciate it.

So, it seems we may do a private tour, go to Herculaneum as it is easier, or go to the Archaelogical Museum instead.

Appreciate all the tips and hints. I can't wait, just to be in Italy!:)

Herculaneum is much smaller than Pompeii and you don't have to walk as far to get to see something. Getting IN to Pompeii is a hike in itself. If you take a private shore excursion, they can make sure that the day is set up so you can see as much as possible even given your limitations.

I went with my sisters and since I had a bad knee (and back), we separated and went our own way. I rested when I wanted and headed to places that I wanted to see. If you go on an excursion, couldn't you tell the guide you will wander on your own and learn where to meet and when? You are given a map so with lots of people, you would be oriented well enough. (ask directions, if momentarily lost).

Archived