After my first cruise - more questions about tipping

Luv2Travelnow

I was set to tip the MD on our first cruise, based on info from CC. So the last night I had the envelope with $10 in it. I couldn't get near where I thought he was, and wasn't sure I knew which one he was anyway. Decided it was not necessary. I would be inclined to tip him on the spot if he did something special for me like reseat us, just as I would do on land. Otherwise i agree that if he just does his job and I don't ask for favors the envelope is an example of the power of guilt. Although I am sure he'd appreciate it.

The only time we even SAW the maitre D was on the last night, where he was VERY visible, going around to each table, "smoozing" it up. We didn't leave a tip.

The Camp Carnival folks aren't included in the tip pool. We don't have kids, so haven't considered tipping them either.

Very interesting. We got pre-printed white envelopes for tipping the maitre d' so we'd feel guilty if we didn't tip... I left a $5 tip but had no idea if that was warranted / appropriate or not...[/quo

We never tip him...Never asked him for anything and don't like it when he shows up on the last night asking if everything is all right. Next time save the 5.00 and give it to some poor kid in port...:rolleyes:

We tipped the Camp Carnival crew but I can't remember how much.It was a 5 day cruise so I'm thinking maybe $5 a day.We also gave extra to our cabin steward.My seven year old son lived at the pizza place so I gave Elijah a tip for them.They were very friendly and remembered what he always ate.

The only time we even SAW the maitre D was on the last night, where he was VERY visible, going around to each table, "smoozing" it up. We didn't leave a tip.

I don't typically leave a tip for the M'd. Every cruise except one I would see him on the last night hoping to see those envelopes. My last cruise on the Elation I was shocked. The Maitre d stopped by every night to check on us. We were in the back corner so it isn't like we were right next to him. The only time he didn't show up was the last night when we had an envelope for him. So we left his envelope with our waiter. I also tipped one other time when we requested a private table for 2 instead of a group table. I tipped $20 both times.

For Camp Carnival, I would suggest $20 for a 7 day cruise if your kids are little. I never tipped for my kids cuz they were teenagers and came & went on their own and didn't need to be "watched" or babysat or provide activities to keep them busy. Little ones I would recommend tipping if they enjoyed their time there.

In a land restaurant, the Maitre D' could be a high salaried position, or it could be a tipped only position or a combo of the 2. But in a really upscale place the Maitre D' may actually PAY a fee for having the job! [The tips make up for it and then some!!] And land restaurant Maitre D' can help make your dining experience memorable!

So there is no real comparison between ship and shore. On some cruiselines the MD' DOES share in the tips. NOT on Carnival, as shown in posts above. On Carnival the Maitre D' is a salaried member of management and as such should do something special for YOU for you to tip him.

Unless he's performed a special service such as table changes, special table requests (for two, by the window, etc.), changing dining times or was really memorable you really don't have to tip him. I am a former waitress and tend to overtip in most circumstances so I'm not just cheap saying that!

We did have one cruise where the maitre'd stopped by on the 2nd night or so to see how we were doing. The couple we were seated with said they greatly enjoyed the Creme Brulee and asked if it would be served again. After that, every night for the rest of the 8 night cruise, four freshly baked, hot creme brulee's would come out with our regular dessert orders. He also continued to check on us for the rest of the week. Even though it wasn't a service we specifically requested, in that case we thought the Maitre'd deserved a tip from us.

Most cruises we never see them except for the last night.

The MD is a salaried staff member, but I have read that the tip, if you are so inclined, is $5 for the week.[/quote

Oh wow! We went on a 5 day and left $20.00......But I have to say, we were on the Ecstasy and our Maitre'D (Mario) was awesome.....He spoke to us every time we came in and interacted with us quite a bit....our table was right in the front of the restaurant, so he was pretty visible and stopped by several nights to check on us and he danced with some of the folks during the singing portion.....

In fact, we tipped out waiter, asst waiter, Maitre D and room steward an extra $20 each.....We had awesomely good service, friendly smiles and a wonderful trip....I just LOVE the Ecstasy ....her crew are so friendly and helpful and she's an excellent ship....(that's why I'm booked on her again...lol)

Sharon

Mario is the BOMB! He was very nice and very very helpful to me. I was crusing solo and put me at a table that had all singles and even took extra care with my food allergy.

Mario is the BOMB! He was very nice and very very helpful to me. I was crusing solo and put me at a table that had all singles and even took extra care with my food allergy.

He was the bomb! But then again, so were all the other crew members I ran into on that ship.....I didn't have a bad experience with any of them

Even though it appears I way over tipped him, I'm glad I did....He was great!

Sharon

only time i seen the maitre d' on our 4 night cruise was the last night when he was collecting all his tip envelopes:rolleyes: and that same night he made his round and collected more envelopes. We didnt give him a tip. The ones i felt really deserved a tip on our cruised based on the service we got was the house cleaning guy. Worked very hard and did our rooms twice a day. The MDR we only ate at dinner. Our waitor was there the 1st night and sick on night 2 and 3 and was there the last night.I asked for lemonade and never got it. He was very quiet not social. We dont even remember his name but we did knoew the waitor 2 tables down he was great with his tables life of the party-lol! In the buffets we had to clear are own tables several times. We did leave tips for all but the maitre d' and we adjusted accordingly. House cleaning did get more $$

I guess if the maitre d' did something for you or took care of a request you had then you could tip.

Kid club would be hard because it would be a different one we'd drop off then pick up someone else would be there. so we just gave a smile and a thank you. Our dd11

The Camp Carnival folks aren't included in the tip pool. We don't have kids, so haven't considered tipping them either.

It was suggested on our last cruise, that if we didn't have children and appreciated the fact the that kids were kept under control by Camp Carnival, we should stop by and give them a tip.

I have a LOT of smart alleck comments on that, but let's just leave it at we did not feel the need to tip them.

It was suggested on our last cruise, that if we didn't have children and appreciated the fact the that kids were kept under control by Camp Carnival, we should stop by and give them a tip.

I have a LOT of smart alleck comments on that, but let's just leave it at we did not feel the need to tip them.

WOW. If someone told me I should tip because other people's kids were kept in check by the staff, I'd have some choice words for them. That takes some balls.

On our Carnival Elation cruise, the cruise director (very funny guy) said all tips were taken care of, except for two areas: Maitre D', and the camp carnival.

However, we had no guidance on how much to tip the Maitre D' (or even knew that he/she needed to be tipped before hand), nor how much for the camp carnival folks.

So a few questions:

1. why is the Maitre D's tip not included in the $10 pp / per day??

2. how much is customary to tip the Maitre D' ?? How much for each day of service, how much for a 3 day versus 5 day cruise?

3. how much is an appropriate tip for the Camp Carnival folks? :confused:

Any other areas / people that you guys have found that requires separate tipping??

As a side note, I am glad the CD on the Elation is funny. One good thing about the Fantasy going to SC is that she will take Ben Stein with Boobs (Risa) with her. I'm happy to be getting the Elation in Mobile!

As for the question, we only tip the MD if he/she did anything for us like switching a time or table. Otherwise we do not tip because they are salaried employees.

On our Carnival Elation cruise, the cruise director (very funny guy) said all tips were taken care of, except for two areas: Maitre D', and the camp carnival.

However, we had no guidance on how much to tip the Maitre D' (or even knew that he/she needed to be tipped before hand), nor how much for the camp carnival folks.

So a few questions:

1. why is the Maitre D's tip not included in the $10 pp / per day??

2. how much is customary to tip the Maitre D' ?? How much for each day of service, how much for a 3 day versus 5 day cruise?

3. how much is an appropriate tip for the Camp Carnival folks? :confused:

Any other areas / people that you guys have found that requires separate tipping??

I tip extra for anyone that impresses me with their level of service. The Maitre D' gets a tip if he helps me change tables, or dinning time. Or like on the Splendor the Maitre D" came to our table every evening to ask if we needed anything. Use you judgement and take care of the people that take care of you. :)

WOW. If someone told me I should tip because other people's kids were kept in check by the staff, I'd have some choice words for them. That takes some balls.

Maybe those of us without kids should be tipped as well? :rolleyes::D

We tipped the Maitre D' 1 dollar each. Since there was 3 of is we gave him $3. Now that doesn't sound like a lot but look at it this way. On the Valor there were 2 of them. If everyone gave a buck, he'd walk away with about $1500 per week on top of his salary - all tax free!

If I don't eat in the MDR, I don't tip. (And I have had cruises where I didn't eat in the MDR). My tipping is usually commiserate to the time spent there, not any special service requested or received. Though I did dock one guy a couple of bucks for repeatedly coming over to my chair and trying to get me to join in the Intercourse Revue (meaning between courses. Get your minds out of the gutter!) even though I told him repeatedly I'm really not much of a joiner.

Wow, never had an intercourse review on any of my cruises:eek: oohhh you meant the entertainment.....

On most of my cruises I would not have known who the MD was if I had tripped over him.

On my last cruise, I'm assuming he was probably the guy who was standing right smack in the doorway of the MDR on the last night. Never saw him any of the other nights during our cruise; just that last night, situated in such a way that you had to walk single file just to get around him.

On one of my cruises, can't remember which one, the MD came to the table every night asking how everything was and could he do anything for us. I did tip him.

Archived