Formal Night for a 10-year old

MV Clarence Cruiser

We are going on our first Princess Cruise in April. I am wondering, how formal does my 10 year-old son need to be for the dining room (anytime dining) on formal nights? I definitely have a nice button-down shirt and tie, with appropriate pants for him, just wondering if he really needs a jacket/blazer. Thanks.

How "formal" he needs to be, as opposed to how formal you want him to be....different things!

Shirt, tie and pants are fine, but a jacket would "dress it up" a bit....it's up to you. He won't be refused entrance without the jacket!

We are going on our first Princess Cruise in April. I am wondering, how formal does my 10 year-old son need to be for the dining room (anytime dining) on formal nights? I definitely have a nice button-down shirt and tie, with appropriate pants for him, just wondering if he really needs a jacket/blazer. Thanks.

This is perfectly fine. :) When we cruised with our friends a few years ago their then 11 year old wore khaki pants and a polo shirt on formal night. He really doesn't need a jacket/blazer. They will let him in the dining room.

You don't need a jacket but if you want one, try a resale shop. A snazzy vest is another way to go. My son has always wanted to look like the adults and Princess is a little more 'dress up' than some of the other cruise lines. Go with what feels right for you and your family. If you are planning on formal night pictures, you might want him a little more dressed up.

The DW loves to take the opportunity for a nice family portrait.

Since I have a tux, we have one for the DS. We got lucky in ebay and scored a brand new one for $25. He wore one a few years back on Celebrity at 3 and recently on RCCL. He's almost 6.

There's nothing like a tux and he will be the talk of the dining room.

DS preferred just the vest, no jacket and looked great.

my 2 year old son wore khaki pants and white or striped button down long sleeve shirt with brown sandals. all purchased at The Children's Place. for the non-formal nights he wore khaki pants and short sleeve polo. he's 2 so that was good enough I figured. he did the same when he was 3 and he'll do the same this december when he's 4. he's not ready for a jacket or tie.

We will be cruising in June with our grandchildren she is 12 and he is just turning 10 in April. We have bought him a tuxedo, he 'insisted' on having one as Grandpa is wearing one. Her Mother bought 2 dresses from David's Bridal. They are "occasion" dresses that come to just below her knees, one is black and one is silver and are halter style and are perfect for her.

We will be sailing FOS (RCCL) over Thanksgiving, our first family cruise, and for formal night, my 6-year-old son is going to wear a suit. We don't have a tux for him, nor do we really have reason for him to own one, so I figure a suit is good. He can take off the jacket after pictures are taken and I'm fine with that. Hubby will also be wearing a suit.

My 7-year-old daughter will be wearing a fancy dress, of course. :)

Archived