Kids eating dinner at Adventure Ocean (RCCL)

Missa

We will be on Radiance in Nov. with my 6 year old and 3 year old. My 3 yo has a serious dairy allergy and EE with additional allergies to wheat, eggs, potatoe & corn. with that said, he will be eating with us each night, we can't chance what he will be fed. My daughter has just a tree nut & legume (peanuts, bean & peas) allergy, much easier to handle (like any are easy, but for us, her;s is a sinch). She will only react if the food is ingested, no problem to be near it. she's already had 2 years of pre-school and 1 year kindergarten with no problem, in fact, she can smell and nut or peanut in any room, she's good like that, and has become a food snob, she will inspect for nuts in desserts, since that is mostly when the issue arises. Thsi is her 3rd cruise with RCCL, the last one, when she was old enough to go to AO, they gave us a beeper, and they said it was for any complications she may have with her allergy, cool, but was never buzzed. We are confident with her.

But, she has told us she wants to eat in AO for dinners. she hasn't had meals there other thean snacks. We aren't at all concerned about the allergy issue, but if she will actully eat her meal before ordering a dessert. she tends to be a junk food addict and since we rarely allow her to have much at home, she acts starved for it all the time, and if it's availble, and we aren't there to coax her to finish her dinnner, I'm afraid she won't ever eat a full dinner.

Has thsi been an issue with for anyone? Please Share you AO meal experiences, i mean your kids, lol :)

As long as she eats a good breakfast and lunch, dinner should be a non-issue for a week....she won't starve!

Can't help you with the allergy thing, tho...they will be aware of any allergies, if you tell them about it!

Well the good news is that she will only be able to go to dinners twice that week with Adventure Ocean. So if she does skip right to dessert she can only do it on 2 nights. ;)

But seriously, I don't think they allow them to get dessert first. It's a buffet right? They have to get their meal first right?

They have to get their meal first right?
Doesn't mean she'll eat the meal though! :D

My BIL's nearly 6YO DD is, in his words, the worst eater (kind of becomes a self-fufilling prophosy!). However when she is with her cousin (my 14YO DD) she suddenly tries and eats things she would otherwise never ever eat -- it's called peer pressure :). Anything my 14YO DD does, her little cousins need to do -- being a role model is something my DD takes very seriously and she actually tried brussel sprouts and found she LIKED them over Christmas time this year when 2 5YO and 3 3YO cousins were watching her every move at Grandma's holiday dinner!

Let DD try -- maybe something good will happen, or maybe she will just eat dessert but either way it won't do any permenent damage!

Ok, I didn't realize it is only offered 2 nights. That would be fine. I'm not at all concerned about her allergies, it's not often we run across nuts or peanuts in kids food

(chicken fingers or quasadilas), lol! :) And if she bit into someting with a nut in the dessert selection, like nuts in the brownies, she would immediately spit it out and rinse her mouth out, she is very good that way. My son is not as good, he is the dare deveil and will sneak cheese if he sees the oppurtunity, then need teh epipen, hence why he HAS to eat with us at each meal. Oh the joys :)

Thanks Crusinmama06 for pointing out that it's not every night :)

Thanks Crusinmama06 for pointing out that it's not every night :)

You're welcome ;) Yes, they haven't expanded the AO meals to every night yet. On some ships on some limited sailing I have heard that they did do it every night (like on a Freedom sailing during spring break weeks). But then it went back to the twice/week schedule.

It's always held on the first formal night. And then usually one non-formal night.

Make sure you sign up for it on the morning of the dinner. On the ships that have a Johnny Rockets, they hold it there. If there is no Johnny Rockets, its held in Windjammer.

I would speak to the councelors about your concerns; I'm sure that they encounter other kids with similar eating habits. Load her up with a healthy breakfast and lunch and if she bawks at dinner, then it is just one meal that is not as healthy as you would like.

Perhaps the second dinner with AO could be a reward for eating responsibly at the first one. If she gives the councelors a hard time about eating her dinner, then the next time she can't go.

Archived