What order: cruise payment, trip insurance

knitterbetty

I have till March 25 to book June 7 cruise, payment due in full. Shall I get trip insurance first, then book? Also, if I get sick and can't do trip, does trip insurance cover refund? Will go to insuremytrip website to find policy. Do any of them cover airfare refunds? I dn't think so, but maybe I'm wrng. thanks. Princess is holding my reservation till this thursday. thanks.

I booked my cruise first, paid my deposit and then bought my air tickets the next pay day and now I will buy my trip insurance. I waited to buy my insurance to make sure of how much insurance I would need. I estimated $1500 and am paying about $72 for one person through Travel Guard.

I have till March 25 to book June 7 cruise, payment due in full. Shall I get trip insurance first, then book? Also, if I get sick and can't do trip, does trip insurance cover refund? Will go to insuremytrip website to find policy. Do any of them cover airfare refunds? I dn't think so, but maybe I'm wrng. thanks. Princess is holding my reservation till this thursday. thanks.

You book your cruise first, then get insurance. Generally you'll get better and more comprehensive coverage if you don't buy the insurance offered by the cruise company.

Trip insurance can indeed cover you getting sick before you cruise or while you cruise, can cover injury while on your vacation, can cover airfare losses, can cover cancellations of either the cruise or the airflight, can cover hotel cancellations if you go early (or stay late) at the port --

all of this will cost you more. It's like any insurance policy -- you add on what you think you need, and the cost will increase to cover those things. But it's still inexpensive.

With a cruise that close, you might need to really think hard about what you will need, though, and what you want to risk not needing.

I booked my cruise first, paid my deposit and then bought my air tickets the next pay day and now I will buy my trip insurance. I waited to buy my insurance to make sure of how much insurance I would need. I estimated $1500 and am paying about $72 for one person through Travel Guard.

In case you weren't aware ... with Travel Guard, and possibly other insurance companies, you can buy the insurance to cover only the amount paid out at first, then increase the coverage as you buy air or make additional payments for your cruise. If preserving the pre-existing condition waiver is important, you just have to adjust the insured amount within 14 days of makiing each $$$ outlay. In fact, this year, the Travel Guard rep said they now encourage people to initially cover only their cruise deposit, as the amount lost would then be minimal if you had to cancel for non-covered reasons before final payment date.

Archived