Can you see whales while on the ship?

Speechless

Our ports are Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta.

We're sailing from Feb 5-12 and we don't plan to take any whale watching trips or boat excursions.

Whaddaya say? will my cheap a** spot a whale for free?

If so, where's my best chance of seeing one?

(and please don't say the mirror, i'm a little sensitive about my weight)

Speechless,

You make me the same way! What can I say. You may very well see a whale or whales from the ship. The variables are how long you spend on deck, how hard you look, whether you carry your binoculars and camera and video recorder with you at all times and how lucky you feel. The downside is that they may be out there while you are at dinner, don't have binoculars or camera, weren't watching close enough or are a blow spout five miles in the distance. From my standpoint, that isn't whalewatching. It makes me wonder what you are going to do in each port instead? I hope it isn't just sitting at Sr Frogs!!!! We have seen whales on both trips, a couple of times not too far away. I walked on deck one early morning with my coffee and right next to me was a humpback, which I never saw again. Take the whalewatching tour in Cabo, you can go for $75-85 from ship or less than half that from dock vendors on smaller boat. I posted pictures in one of the other recent whale posts here.

Thanks JohnQ - i'll try my luck out on deck with my camcorder. It's one of my favourite things to do, even if it requires a lot of patience.

My cheapness is only part of it (recently laid off). The other part is, my wife and other family members are not particularly fond of being on smaller boats, so even though I don't mind - i'd probably be on my own.

Do you think whales stick closer to land, or will I have better luck further out at sea (between ports)?

Just got back a few days ago - saw many whales and dolphins from the ship. Near Cabo on the way down and then all the way from Puerto Vallarta back up. Most likely, they won't be skimming the side of the ship, as you would probably experience on the tour, so bring binoculars.

We saw lots of whales at sunset when leaving Puerto Vallarta -- but they were not close. We lots and lots and LOTS of whales, close-up and breaching, on a whale watching trip out of Cabo. It was a highlight of the trip for me!

Just back from Mexico on Diamond Princess. We saw whales from the ship passing Cabo on the way to Puerto Vallarta. When we docked in Cabo we saw more from the catamaran we took to Santa Maria Cove. Saw a mother with her calf. Since it's whale watching season, even the snorkel boat made a point of finding whales.

We just got back a couple of weeks ago, and we saw whales from the ship, although they were out quite a ways. All we really saw were some splashes from their tails, but it was fun anyway. The captain got on the loudspeaker to announce that they were out there, and everyone ran to the one side of the ship - I thought we were going to tip over! :)

I would definitely recommend a real whale watching tour to see them up close.

We we were in Hawaii last year (NCL Star Feb 04) the guys (my husband and son) didn't want to do whale watching because we had done it in New England and they thought it was boring. We had a balcony and saw lots of whales. I took pictures and was very disappointed when I developed them and all you can see are spots in the pictures. Everyone who sees them is somewhat disbelieving that there REALLY are whales in the pictures.

So, my recommendation is take the tour!

Just wait til I am on the cruise...I will wear my speedo and you will see more whale than you ever wanted.

Actually just had to tell my whale story. On our first cruise we went to alaska. I was shooting hoops and my wife was watching me. A humpback whale broke the surface and did a 180 dive right in front of her. I never saw a thing until I saw her video.

Jeanaa from NY.

Another single female professional cruiser -- would like to chat with you about your experiences -- and invite you to share cabin with me on Sept 11 2005 Grand Princess (Greek Islands, italy itinerary) . My cabinmate is ill and won't be able to go with me as planned. A bunch of other friends from the DC area are going, but all are already cabin-mated. I've got a fabulous price for this itinerary, plus a really nice extra large balcony cabin b/c my roommie qualified for a handicapped room. I'm a single female, non smoking lawyer from DC, saw your posts on this subject -- and that you wanted to do this itinerary this summer. Thought I'd at least check.

• 2 weeks later...

We saw many whales from the ship as we passed by Cabo - en route to Puerto Vallarta. Not close up, but you could see them spouting off in the distant horizon.

However, the best whale-watching was in Cabo - on board the "Sun Ryder". Tickets available on the wharf (not through the cruise lines). Cost is $40 per person, includes a Mexican Buffet and non-stop flowing drinks. Well worth every dime - the Captain and Crew are fantastic.

Also had friends from the ship who hired a water taxi ($10 or so per person) and although a bumpy and scarier ride, saw plenty of whales.

Heather

• 4 weeks later...

That will be borderline I don't think they can officially offer whale tour until Dec 15th, but it could be the 1st. You might see some whales on any boat ride outside of Cabo.

We saw a few from the ship on our way back from Cabo to LA, which was in october 2004.

I admit everybody was surprised to see them that early.

Archived