Tell me all about Monarch

Hi everyone. Going on a girls only cruise this coming May. There will be 4 of us, late 30/early 40 year old moms just wanting to get away and have a little fun for a few days. We are doing a 3 day on the Monarch.

Anyway, somehow I got appointed our travel agent. Two of the ladies have never been on a cruise, one cruised RCI a few years ago and that is her only cruise, and I've been on 3 cruises, Princess to Alaska and then last year I did two Disney cruises (7 day and 3 day). I think I got appointed travel agent because I've got the most cruise experience, but I still feel like a newbie.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what we can expect on the Monarch. I'm not worried about room details, we are booked on the 5th floor, two inside cabins. I know the rooms will be small, but I figure we won't spend much time in them, so I'm not too worried about any of the details.

But I'd love to hear about the dining room, the shows, the specialty drinks, the must dos and/or must sees. I'm a planner, and just always feel a little more relaxed going into a situation where I feel like I know a bit about what's going on.

I do have some questions:

Is room service free or is there a fee? I don't care either way, would just like to know going in.

We chose the My Time Dining (I think that is what it's called). Any suggestions on how to make that go smoothly. Times we should avoid because of larger crowds and bigger waits.

Is there some food that is a "don't miss" type of thing. Anything people suggest we try while dining. I didn't know if the menus are the same from cruise to cruise (I know on Disney they are)

We don't want to lug formal wear down for a 3 day cruise. Would we be ok in a more Sunday church attire, or should we just avoid the dining room all together that night. And if so, what are our options other than the dining room.

Shows: tell me all about the shows. What do we not want to miss. I love a comedian, and I think there is one on the Monarch. Does he just perform one night. What other shows should we see.

The Quest: I've read a couple of references to this. What is it? On Disney they had a show/game called Quest and it was an absolute riot. You were in teams and the person running it would call out an item and you had to come up with it. Is this the same thing?

Drinks: any specialty drinks that you recommend.

Nassau: any suggestions on what to do there. We probably would just prefer a day of shopping and hanging out on the beach or by a pool. Any suggestions on doing that ourselves, or an excursion for it.

I think that is about it. We are really looking forward to it. Unless the weather is just horrible and the seas are so rough we are all sick, I'm sure we are going to have a great time. We aren't a picky bunch. We just want to get away where it's warm and we don't have someone yelling "mom, can you do this" or "honey, I need that". Not that we don't love our kids and husbands

Hi everyone. Going on a girls only cruise this coming May. There will be 4 of us, late 30/early 40 year old moms just wanting to get away and have a little fun for a few days. We are doing a 3 day on the Monarch. Hubby and I did the 4 night last April (we are early 40s) sans kids for an anniv cruise.

Anyway, somehow I got appointed our travel agent. Two of the ladies have never been on a cruise, one cruised RCI a few years ago and that is her only cruise, and I've been on 3 cruises, Princess to Alaska and then last year I did two Disney cruises (7 day and 3 day). I think I got appointed travel agent because I've got the most cruise experience, but I still feel like a newbie.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what we can expect on the Monarch. I'm not worried about room details, we are booked on the 5th floor, two inside cabins. I know the rooms will be small, but I figure we won't spend much time in them, so I'm not too worried about any of the details.

But I'd love to hear about the dining room, the shows, the specialty drinks, the must dos and/or must sees. I'm a planner, and just always feel a little more relaxed going into a situation where I feel like I know a bit about what's going on.

Is room service free or is there a fee? I don't care either way, would just like to know going in. It's free except from midnight til 5:30am (I think those are the times)

We chose the My Time Dining (I think that is what it's called). Any suggestions on how to make that go smoothly. Times we should avoid because of larger crowds and bigger waits. We did MTD last April and ate about 6:30 or 7pm each night. We never waited for a table. We did the Matre D when we were leaving what time we wanted to "reserve" for the next night (based on what we believed we were doing that coming day), The MDR never seemed too crowded-at least we did not notice if it was.

Is there some food that is a "don't miss" type of thing. Anything people suggest we try while dining. I didn't know if the menus are the same from cruise to cruise (I know on Disney they are) There was a risotto in the MDR one night that I LOVED! I also loved the asian and middle eastern items in the WJ. They were around the back. Very yummy. In the WJ, head toward the back and it was a lot less crowded and crazy.

We don't want to lug formal wear down for a 3 day cruise. Would we be ok in a more Sunday church attire, or should we just avoid the dining room all together that night. And if so, what are our options other than the dining room. I did sundresses and hubby did khakis and polos every night but the formal when I did a LBD and hubby had a shirt and suitcoat. I did see some tuxes and long gowns but the y were definitely not the norm. YOu should be just fine in "Sunday" clothes in the MDR.

Shows: tell me all about the shows. What do we not want to miss. I love a comedian, and I think there is one on the Monarch. Does he just perform one night. What other shows should we see. We liked the comedian( I think he was the first night). Also go to the Love & Marriage show and Quest (both a ton of fun)

The Quest: I've read a couple of references to this. What is it? On Disney they had a show/game called Quest and it was an absolute riot. You were in teams and the person running it would call out an item and you had to come up with it. Is this the same thing? Yep, adults only. You don't have to participate if you don't want-can just watch (and laugh a lot!)

Drinks: any specialty drinks that you recommend. I found some of the DOD's a bit too fruity for me. Had quite a few yummy margaritas though!

Nassau: any suggestions on what to do there. We probably would just prefer a day of shopping and hanging out on the beach or by a pool. Any suggestions on doing that ourselves, or an excursion for it. We just walked around Nassau. People have said good things about the British Colonial HIlton (I think that's the name) day pass but can't tell you about it for sure.

I think that is about it. We are really looking forward to it. Unless the weather is just horrible and the seas are so rough we are all sick, I'm sure we are going to have a great time. We aren't a picky bunch. We just want to get away where it's warm and we don't have someone yelling "mom, can you do this" or "honey, I need that". Not that we don't love our kids and husbands

You'll have a great time. We liked that the Monarch was not so huge you got lost a lot but there was always something to do if you wanted (and plenty of places to just hang out if you didn't want to do anything) Check the compass everyday for a full list. Even if the weather is bad, you'll still find lots to do and have fun.

Hi everyone. Going on a girls only cruise this coming May. There will be 4 of us, late 30/early 40 year old moms just wanting to get away and have a little fun for a few days. We are doing a 3 day on the Monarch.

Is room service free or is there a fee? I don't care either way, would just like to know going in. Room service is free until midnight (I believe), then there is a small fee.

We chose the My Time Dining (I think that is what it's called). Any suggestions on how to make that go smoothly. Times we should avoid because of larger crowds and bigger waits. We have not used My Time Dining.

Is there some food that is a "don't miss" type of thing. Anything people suggest we try while dining. I didn't know if the menus are the same from cruise to cruise (I know on Disney they are) You will see most of the same food that you have seen on previous RC cruises.

We don't want to lug formal wear down for a 3 day cruise. Would we be ok in a more Sunday church attire, or should we just avoid the dining room all together that night. And if so, what are our options other than the dining room. Sunday Church attire will be just fine for formal night.

Shows: tell me all about the shows. What do we not want to miss. I love a comedian, and I think there is one on the Monarch. Does he just perform one night. What other shows should we see. The comedian is wonderful definite do not miss. I would also recommend the Love and Marriage gameshow. Great fun!

The Quest: I've read a couple of references to this. What is it? On Disney they had a show/game called Quest and it was an absolute riot. You were in teams and the person running it would call out an item and you had to come up with it. Is this the same thing? Same concept.

Drinks: any specialty drinks that you recommend. You need a Coco Loco the day you are on Coco Cay. It is a rum drink with wonderful exotic flavors.

Nassau: any suggestions on what to do there. We probably would just prefer a day of shopping and hanging out on the beach or by a pool. Any suggestions on doing that ourselves, or an excursion for it. We went shopping in the Straw Market and took a private tour over to the Cloisters and the One and Only Beach resort. It was very beautiful.

The Monarch is an awesome ship and the crew is the friendliest. They are there to assist you in having a fabulous time. We love the Monarch and have nothing but fond memories of this ship. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Just got home yesterday, from a 3 night with my best friend of 25 years. And while we had a good time it was very different than when I cruise with my DH. And I will not cruise with friends again. She had never been and this was my 8th. The motion got to her and she was always lightheaded even with bonine.

We ordered room service @ 2am and it was I think about $4 to deliver and then tip. But fast and good.

We did late dining @8:30 and was too late for my friend as she was really hungery by then, but that was her own fault as there was pizza and the WJ in the afternoon for a snack.

The comedian was funny and he also did an adults show on the last night. The juggular(sp?) was just OK. And the dancers were pretty good. Don't miss the quest or the Love and marriage show.

I enjoyed the frozen lemonades, they are fruity yet not too sweet. Very good. One day they also had a cored pinapple with a drink in it. Gotta get one just for the cute pics.

Coco Cay is beautiful and we didn't even get off in Nassau.

Hope you have fun, and being the travel agent is half the fun.

Also this is short enough that you won't really miss your kids or hubby's. At least I didn't---too much.

Just got back yesterday.

It's an older ship but I found it to be very well maintained.

I did not experience any motion sickness.

The bistro burger on the room service menu is to die for.

The Windjammer served chicken often but each selection was so

tasty I didn't mind at all.

Coco Cay was sooooooooooooo relaxing. Don't leave your RCCL towel though because you will be charged.

The comedian was great!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely check out the Captains Reception

The deck party was great!!!!!!

The crew was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bed was super comfortable

Bring swimsuits and wraps / will be super hot when you go

I'm a Long Island Ice Tea Chic so that was my drink of choice

Check your Compass for daily events upon arrival

I had a ball!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you guys do too!!!!!!!!!!

Would definitely cruise again on this ship

Just got back yesterday.

It's an older ship but I found it to be very well maintained.

I did not experience any motion sickness.

The bistro burger on the room service menu is to die for.

The Windjammer served chicken often but each selection was so

tasty I didn't mind at all.

Coco Cay was sooooooooooooo relaxing. Don't leave your RCCL towel though because you will be charged.

The comedian was great!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely check out the Captains Reception

The deck party was great!!!!!!

The crew was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bed was super comfortable

Bring swimsuits and wraps / will be super hot when you go

I'm a Long Island Ice Tea Chic so that was my drink of choice

Check your Compass for daily events upon arrival

I had a ball!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you guys do too!!!!!!!!!!

Would definitely cruise again on this ship

We are going on the 4 day on May 3rd....

What else did they have besides Chicken at the WJ? How was the Asian?

Did you go to the main dinning room? What were some of the highlights?

Prime Rib?

What did you do in Nassau?

We are thinking about getting a day pass at one of the area hotels.

Thanks...

These are all great!! Thanks. You guys are getting me even more excited about it.

I know we'll love it. I'm of the philosophy a bad day on vacation is better than a good day at home. Heck, I won't have to cook or clean for 3 days, even if the ship had nothing else, I'd be happy!!

Keep it coming. I'm loving reading about it.

I just got back yesterday too (sailed 3-19 to 3-22).

The comedian, Miquel Washington left for another ship 3-22 so i don't know who the comedian will be.

When we were seated on the tender waiting to depart for CocoCay, a pod of dolphins came by, we all oohed and aahed as they leapt 3 or 4 times as they swam past us and Monarch. I have never seen dolphins at CocoCay before!

If you don't do My Time Dining, go to the Maitre 'D and see if you can have your seating changed to be in Ruddy's section or Maricar's section. He is wonderful, she is absolutely amazing. They were in Claude's (Deck 4) which is also used for the MTD.

Jade is an extra charge Asian section at the back of Windjammer. They post a menu with how long it will take to prepare the dish but they didn't post the prices. Compass says prices start at $3.

On the 3 day there was no Sexy Legs or Belly Flop competitions (no time).

In Nassau, you can walk to the Queen's staircase, just look up and head for the water tower. There's a mini straw market there and a fort you can look at. Or pay $23 pp and take a taxi tour of the town. It lasts about 3 hours and stops at the Queen's staircase and Atlantis. The driver is informative (by law they all have to be educated in the history of New Providence), he'll be hawking his tour at the end of the dock before you go into the straw market at the pier. You won't leave until he fills his van (6-8 people). The vans are air conditioned and clean.

I'm loving reading about the Monarch - we sail in May! I just read the review I saw posted on CC's front page; it mentioned a movie theater, did I read that right? And a midnight buffet? I thought it was a new review...maybe it was an old one though because I thought I had read elsewhere that the midnight buffet was discontinued. :confused:

I too was on the March 19-22 sailing.

It's a shame Miguel (the comedian) left for another ship. My girlfriend and I are a young couple and in my opinion he was the funniest comic I've seen on the short itineraries. His late night adults only show was a trip!

Jade Black Rock Grill is an interesting concept. It is not price fixed. The entrees were a bit pricey (for an alternative dining option on a cruise ship). However, I really enjoyed it. They cook a black rock for 8 hours and bring it to you on a plate along with a raw 8 oz filet miglon and undercooked vegitables. You then cook your steak and vegitables yourself right at your table. It takes about 6 minutes to cook a steak medium well. The food was great and if you're into Sushi, it's fresh and delicious.

Let me know if I can tell you anything else about Monarch, and have a great trip! :-)

I'm loving reading about the Monarch - we sail in May! I just read the review I saw posted on CC's front page; it mentioned a movie theater, did I read that right? And a midnight buffet? I thought it was a new review...maybe it was an old one though because I thought I had read elsewhere that the midnight buffet was discontinued. :confused:

The late night buffet is a market buffet that they do on the pool deck. It's called "Dancing Under the Stars". They do line dancing with live music from the caribbean band. They serve finger foods and sandwiches. On the three day itinerary it was on the second night at 11:30 pm.

I just read the review I saw posted on CC's front page; it mentioned a movie theater, did I read that right? :confused:

One night they showed a movie in the main show lounge (called Sound of Music). So its not a movie theater per se that you have on Radiance class ships.

I too was on the March 19-22 sailing.

It's a shame Miguel (the comedian) left for another ship. My girlfriend and I are a young couple and in my opinion he was the funniest comic I've seen on the short itineraries. His late night adults only show was a trip! We were doing self assist the next morning so skipped his adult show. Darn, he was good at the Welcome Aboard show. The best we've seen. I should have asked him what ship he was heading to when we were standing next to him and his wife at the shuttle parking lot.

where were y'all when we were running a roll call thread!!!

where were y'all when we were running a roll call thread!!!

I actually VERY impulsively bought this cruise 3 days before sailing. I wish I would have joined in though. This was a lively group. I love cruises out of Canaveral. The passengers seem to get into it more than other Florida departure ports.

Thanks for all of the comments. I'm thinking about booking this cruise for October.

When we went to Nassau we went to Black Beard's Cay for the sting ray experience. You can snorkel or just lounge around after feeding the sting rays. Very secluded and away from the "city" feel. I highly recommend it. And you should be able to visit the straw market before heading back to the ship.

-Heather

I am going on Monarch next week with family members, we have already decided we have been to Nassau so many times, we are staying on the ship. But Cococay is our favorite port, so hopefuly we will get to go there.

But as for traveling with your friends, I did a bachorlette cruise in 2007, 10 women- 21-70 in age- and we had a ball. Our party started when we got to the airport and lasted until we landed back at the airport. We made sure we ate dinner together every night, but other times we did our own things. Typically there were at least 2 or 3 who wanted to do the same thing.

We are getting ready for another girl's weekend, but only going to the local beach, but again over 21 and ladies only. I enjoy it and so does my husband.

Teresa

They did have some Asian dishes in the Windjammer but not a lot.

I did not dine in the main dinning so can't speak on those dishes.

I did not do too much in Nassau/ been there done that

I've done the Monarch 3-day with my mom and sister twice now and next month, with my husband, brother-in-law and his wife. Great ship, wonderful crew, nice getaway for affordable money. Even when I went last month, the weather was horrible and the CocoCay was cancelled. I still chalked it up to, better than being in Boston or NJ during the blizzard! I recommend it to friends as a nice weekend trip. Already thinking of doing it again next February with my best friend for our birthdays!

My daughter and I sailed on the Monarch last September, and had a wonderful time.

Loved the 70's disco night in the Atrium. Wonderful crew.... makes you feel right at home.

Have a great time!!

P.S. I'm booked for Oct. Woo-hoo!!

Archived