Tampa Hotel?

DiamondBill102

We are cruising in August out of Tampa. I was wondering if anyone had advice as to some of the hotels in the area. I'm looking for something in between the Tampa airport and the cruise terminal. I will be traveling with my wife and son and another couple with two kids.

Thanks

Hi DHLexpress102, I can recommend to you a nice, fairly new hotel in a great area between the airport and the Tampa Port. It is the LaQuinta Tampa airport. 1 mi from the Airport, 6 mi from the port. It is around 70.00 per night without any type of discount and 62.00 with AAA or AARP or another discount that may qualify. They have a free airport shuttle and free shuttle to the port the next morning. Free hot breakfast. Free HS internet and an outdoor heated swimming pool. There is an IHOP adjacent to the hotel and several restaurants within walking distance. It is in a very nice, safe area and directly across from the International Plaza Mall. This is an upscale mall with many nice shops and restaurants. There is a cute little courtyard at the mall that is surrounded with quaint little restaurants. They have a Cheesecake Factory, yum. It is not a busy highway, more like and access road around the mall so crossing the street to the mall or to eat at a restaurant would not be difficult.

I hope this helps. Have a great cruise. :)

We stayed at the Howard Johnson Downtown. They have a shuttle that will not only take you to the port for the cruise, but they will also shuttle you around town as long as its not too far from the hotel. We were shuttled to the shopping center near the port( Channelside). We just gave them a call when we were ready to come back, 10mins later they were there. Also the Hotel staff were very courteous and professional. Prices are not too bad, I think it was around $100 total for one night.

We booked the Tampa Westshore Embassy Suites for $91. You get a suite which would be great with the kids plus the complimentary cocktail hour at night and a full cooked to order breakfast in the morning. Only about 4-5 miles from downtown. There is an Embassy downtown but price is 2+times more.

If you aren't picky on money I would check out the Marriott waterside...

When I stayed there it was like a 5 minute walk to Channelside. If you didn't mind hauling your stuff you could pretty much walk to the port in the morning in 5-10 minutes. :D

It is not much of a bargain- but way convenient. We have stayed at Marriott Tampa Airport. Basically get off plane, get luggage and walk across all inside the airport. No shuttles at all. Very convenient to meet other peeople, great beds and they do have a pool and I think whirlppol.

Next morning there is an outside taxi loop via hotel elevator, or arange a shuttle with concierge upon checkin.

It is not much of a bargain- but way convenient. We have stayed at Marriott Tampa Airport. Basically get off plane, get luggage and walk across all inside the airport. No shuttles at all. Very convenient to meet other peeople, great beds and they do have a pool and I think whirlppol.

Next morning there is an outside taxi loop via hotel elevator, or arange a shuttle with concierge upon checkin.

buffetfan-- ( Hi neighbor from Carmel) right next door in Anderson.

To the OP, .... Yes, I agree with the above as well. A little more expensive but very convenient. They have a great restaurant at the top of the hotel as well.

We booked the Tampa Westshore Embassy Suites for $91. You get a suite which would be great with the kids plus the complimentary cocktail hour at night and a full cooked to order breakfast in the morning. Only about 4-5 miles from downtown. There is an Embassy downtown but price is 2+times more.

We will be staying there for our May cruise. I wish it had a free shuttle to the terminal.

Hi DHLexpress102, I can recommend to you a nice, fairly new hotel in a great area between the airport and the Tampa Port. It is the LaQuinta Tampa airport. :)

We also stayed at the La Quinta and highly recommend it. However, when we stayed there, they had a $10 pp charge for transportation to the cruise ship terminal so we just took a taxi for $22 for the 2 of us. And the mall across the street is great with lots of neat restaurants, bars, and upscale stores.

buffetfan-- ( Hi neighbor from Carmel) right next door in Anderson.

Hi back! I worked as a dental hygienist for almost 5 years in Anderson-until economy hit and needed more hours at different practice!

For shuttle service in Tampa, we have had reliable, clean and spacious shuttle and quality care from Blue One Transportation -they have a website. We made reservation upon check in. This is best when a larger family, load of luggage. With two people I'd have bell hop hail a cab.

Just booked the Embassy Suites downtown this morning for our July cruise. $133 for the 3 of us..... 2 bedroom suite, hot breakfast and a ride to the ship. The Embassy Suites is less than 1/2 mile to the port.....

Hi DHLexpress102, I can recommend to you a nice, fairly new hotel in a great area between the airport and the Tampa Port. It is the LaQuinta Tampa airport. 1 mi from the Airport, 6 mi from the port. It is around 70.00 per night without any type of discount and 62.00 with AAA or AARP or another discount that may qualify. They have a free airport shuttle and free shuttle to the port the next morning. Free hot breakfast. Free HS internet and an outdoor heated swimming pool. There is an IHOP adjacent to the hotel and several restaurants within walking distance. It is in a very nice, safe area and directly across from the International Plaza Mall. This is an upscale mall with many nice shops and restaurants. There is a cute little courtyard at the mall that is surrounded with quaint little restaurants. They have a Cheesecake Factory, yum. It is not a busy highway, more like and access road around the mall so crossing the street to the mall or to eat at a restaurant would not be difficult.

I hope this helps. Have a great cruise. :)

Thank you. If I can figure out how to access this motel, I will do so.

Thank you. If I can figure out how to access this motel, I will do so.

LaQuinta Tampa Airport 1-813-287-0440 (cannot locate the 1-800#) address: 4730 Spruce St. Tampa,Fla

I do not have their web address. Just google, LaQuinta Tampa Airport.

Good Luck to you and have a great cruise.

LaQuinta Tampa Airport 1-813-287-0440 (cannot locate the 1-800#) address: 4730 Spruce St. Tampa,Fla

Thank you; and, I understand that your weather will improve within the next day or so, as will ours here in SWFL

Thank you again. I have called those folks, but as of now I have received no reply. Do I understand that the area where your vehicle is parked is fenced and gated? Also, is there a free shuttle to the port? My wife is concerned because this is a two star hotel, but from your post I understand that you were pleased and felt secure. Is my assessment correct?

My wife is concerned because this is a two star hotel, but from your post I understand that you were pleased and felt secure. Is my assessment correct?

The 2* rating is due to the lack of amenities and public areas on the promises. The hotel doesn't have any bars/restaurants but you're within walking distance to some nice places.

The hotel is fairly new, very clean, and while not luxurious, it does a nice job, especially for overnight stays.

For La Quinta, is there a convenience-type store / liquor store close enough to walk to ? Thanks !

There is a Sweet-Bay grocery store about 1mi away but you probably wouldn't be able to walk due to crossing Dale Mabry Hwy,(very high traffic road) A cab ride would be the way to go. It is a very nice market and they have about anything that you may need, water,soda, snacks, liquor...

Also, the hotel does not have a restaurant but there is an IHOP adjacent to the hotel plus several others within walking distance.

Have a great cruise We wish you all warm weather too. Rick & Cari :)

• 1 month later...
We are staying at the Sheraton Riverwalk in Tampa. It's a little over a mile to the port.

We stayed at the Sheraton Riverwalk a few years ago as they were going through rennovations. It was a nice stay and the hotel shuttle driver took us basically anywhere we wanted to go.

Our pre-cruise hotel this year was the Marriott Waterside which was a pleasant walk to the Channelside and the fabulous Florida Aquarium. Here's a morning pic from the Marriott.

4430341767_fe43091799.jpg

Last weekend we stayed at the Tampa Bay Westin which is a little further from the cruiseport, but closer to the airport. This is one of the best Westins we've stayed in and our room had great sunset views of the bay.

4579659459_8dcf53432f.jpg

Despite all these nice hotels, our hands down favorite place to stay in the Tampa area is about 45 mins-1 hour from downtown in Clearwater Beach. For more than a decade, we've been going to the Sheraton Sand Key as our "long weekend escape" when we can get cheap flights. The Sheraton Sand Key is a beachfront resort on 10 acres of white beach. It's away from the other Clearwater Beach crowds and is a good place to just sit on the beach and watch the pelicans and dolphins fish. Here are a couple of pics from the Sheraton Sand Key. The first is from the water looking back at the hotel (on the left) and the second is of the beautiful Gulf.

4579661097_bdcd000678.jpg

4591140117_bf0a40b2a6.jpg

• 3 months later...
I just booked the Embassy suites and they provide transportation to the port just not back to the hotel when you return :)

Which Embassy Suites? We just booked the one in Westshore / Airport... and they only seem to offer the drive to the port IF you book the much higher priced "cruise package". We opted for the $50.00 lower priced package (same room) and will grab a cab for @ $20.00 and go to the port when WE want, not when the hotel says the shuttle is going. Maybe we will see you geting off the ship when we are getting on...

Archived