3 best excursions for teens late June

woodbinemom

My eyes are falling out of my head researching all the boards. Can't seem to really find a good thread that handled excursions in Alaska that will appeal to teens (and parents). We are going Princess at end of June (second cruise, first to Carribean). Itinerary includes Hubbard Glacier, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchican (will have done Denali 3 days prior to cruise). Teens are 13, 17 girls. They love to do "stuff" but not zip lines. Since we will be doing so much training, planeing prior to cruise, worried the kids might already be burned out. Based on your opinion, what would you recommed as the top 3 Must Do excursions in the ports of call listed. Thanks in advance.

A lot depends on their interest and the kids. I too was a bit overwhelemed with the options. I assume you'll be land wildlifed out after Denali. I finally picked based on the menu out of the excursion list from the Princess Excursion list. You might look at booking independent first, you can dave between 50-70/person depending on the excursion. For some ports it seems Princess has locked up some tours exclusively.

Fishing?: Ketchikan

Whale watching?: Juneau

Helicopter+ Trekking/Dog Sledding?: Skagway/Juneau

Glacier lake Kayaking/Canoing?: Skagway

Its overwhelming, like you I'm passing on the ziplining. We've booked Heli+dogsledding Juneau. I'm told you need to book this early and expect high probability of cancelation due to weather. We're planning on the Haines/Glacier Canoeing out of Skagway and charting a fishing/wildlife out of Ketchikan.

I'd have done the Glacier trekking but I got a 9 year old who is likely more than capable and game but just too young.

What are you "training" for :eek:

My eyes are falling out of my head researching all the boards. Can't seem to really find a good thread that handled excursions in Alaska that will appeal to teens (and parents). We are going Princess at end of June (second cruise, first to Carribean). Itinerary includes Hubbard Glacier, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchican (will have done Denali 3 days prior to cruise). Teens are 13, 17 girls. They love to do "stuff" but not zip lines. Since we will be doing so much training, planeing prior to cruise, worried the kids might already be burned out. Based on your opinion, what would you recommed as the top 3 Must Do excursions in the ports of call listed. Thanks in advance.

Personally I would look at the available shorex for each port, identify 2 or 3 you think are appealing for your family, and give the kids a chance to look at them. Then vote on which ones to do. Or take their comments about why each one is "lame", and have another look :)

For me a whale watch in Juneau is a must-do. Skagway has a hike and float that might be of interest to them. Ketchikan has kayaking.

I'd get each of them a pair of binoculars, too, to stand on deck and watch for whales from the ship.

Showing them the excusions and letting them pick is a good plan. That's what we did with ours so when we went, they gave them a stake in the game and didn't feel like they were tagging along with us.

One that they picked out in Skagway was the Klondike Rock Climbing and rapelling. They offered a variety of different levels. Probably our favorite excursion. Since we had a lot of time in Skagway, we also did a train/bus tour they enjoyed. The Glacier point tour looks pretty interesting and I think a teen would enjoy it.

In Juneau we did a "white water raft" trip which they enjoyed although not much white water but some great scenary. I certainly wouldn't list it as a "must do". We also went up the Mount Roberts and hiked for awhile.

In Ketchikan, we were going to a float plane but it was canceled.

a variety of pictures if you click on my signature and go to Alaska section...

Best of luck.

Archived