Probably a Dumb Question

judyfssw

We are sailing on the Constellation very soon and I was just on the bridgecam site where, I think, the Millenium is on the way to Casa De Campo. Why don't the Celebrity ships dock there until 1:00 in the afternoon? It's not a port that's far away from San Juan. Why not dock at 9 or 10 in the morning even if they're staying they're in port until 11:00 pm. I can't imagine that port charges would be that expensive.

Judy: Time of pulling into port, time of debarkation at that port, etc., is not just at the call of the cruise line but also at the direction of the port officials where we dock. This is not necessarily a cost or income factor on either's part.

IMHO, Judy's remark regarding ``as little as there is to do there,'' is probably spawned by the fact that there are not many organized excursions there - either sponsored by the cruise line or the residents of the port.

Our April Millenium cruise is scheduled to dock in CdC for 10 hours. Over our past 8 cruises we've found 10 hours is a lot of time in port if there isn't a whole lot of things to see outside an island tour and a few hours of shopping a few shops.

DH & I are looking forward to the port. We've never been there. Some people look forward to ports in Jamaica. We've been there, done that, don't care one way or another if we go there again. Others love Aruba, we can take it or leave it. Some don't like Belize, we get a kick out of it for a few hours at a time.

There's a big reason why there are so many ports of call in the Caribbean - need to be to please all the cruisers who want choices in their cruising.

Diannel

Judyfssw - There are those of us that are pretty sure that Casa de Campo translates to "stay on the ship" - there just isn't very much to do. Also, because this stop is outside of U.S. territory, everyone has to process through U.S. immigration when going into Puerto Rico. I'd have preferred to have taken the slow boat from FLL to SJ without bothering to stop in the DR. We could have arrived earlier and stayed longer in SJ.

Archived