alaska newbie needs lots of help

eeniemeenie

need help planning our first trip to alaska. there seems so much to know and do it is all overwhelming. we will be on a tight budget which should only add to the confusion. noticed princess has some cruise tours... wondered what the experienced among you think about them. the one i am looking at is in mid may. it goes to the copper river wildeness lodge at wrangell st. elias...the denali princess lodge...catamran cruise across prince william sound and rail travel. the cruise portion, which either can be done first or last, includes glacier bay, college fjord, stops in ketchikan, juneau,and skagway.

tell me what you know of this experience. is it a good overall view or will we find it greatly lacking? advice please???

Cruisetours are a high cost option. (meals aren't included- so budget 50% more than at home for a cushion). So, less desirable for budget travelers like myself. :) This tour covers a LOT of miles, so a lot of the time will be in transit. The Wrangels is no place I would be without a car, just excellent scenic driving down to Valdez that is worth the ability to stop along the way. Mid May is too early for Denali Park, ideally you want an arrival after June 1. By all means if this only includes the useless Natural History tour- forget it- completely worthless. Also don't consider this tour unless it is at least 7 days- again any shorter will have way too much time on a bus or train. If of interst- you can do better going on your own and make your own plans at attractions of interest to you, in your timeframe. Savings can be significant, consider the http://www.toursaver.com coupon book. Plenty of information on this board. Spend a couple hours reading through posts and see what becomes a priority for your Alaska travel- then DO IT!!! :)

the tour is 6 or 7 days..the choice being a 13 or 14 day total trip/cruise. the history tour is replaced by a wildernes tour on certain date options. i really appreciate our help. i have no idea hich itinerary to take, and where to go inland for the most experience....least cost. i know there is alot on these boards but at this int it all seems overwhemling....naming so many places i have not the sightest bit of familiarity with. wha in your opinion,would be a choice of a two week trip including a cruise itinerary that would be the most fulfilling. the most bang for the buck. which cruise line? thanks seo muh.

Get several cruise brochures and read over the cruisetours- see what is of interest to you?? You can easily duplicate these ideas with the bonus of choosing what is your priority and spend your time there. With an added 7 days as an example- :) Fly into Anchorage- rent a car- overnight, drive to Denali Park- overnight 2 nights. Shuttle to Eielson (Fish Creek), head back to Anchorage- overnight in Talkeetna, flightseeing, museums, return to Anchorage- plenty of stops along the way. overnight - 2 nights perhhaps? tour Anchorage and area. turn in rental car, stay at a lodging that offers airport and rail shuttle, Days Inn (very basic) Ramadas. Train to Seward- overnight with an all day Kenai Fjords boat tour, see Seward sites. Board ship in Seward- my preference with HAL. This is just a basic suggestion that covers some great highlights, if cruising out of Whittier- then you need to back track and likley keep your car drive to Seward then back to Anchorage- for the cheapest car rental option. Plenty of easy adjustments to any trip. :) Head to your library and take out Alaska travel books- ALL OF THEM. :) Request each of the above's visitor guides. The more you know the better. :)

You can also check Frommers Alaska book, Milepost, and several others in addition to brochures. Getting cheaper cabin can save money for desired shore excursions or staying that extra few days on land. Booking your own is another way to cut costs in half at least, and still do many extra things. If you don't need a big name hotel or lodge, you can save lots on BnB's or small hotels. Same on food. Lots of small local places can save you money. If you are going, you may as well stay long enough to really see some of it. Renting our own car from Anc can really give you freedom to move around. We liked HAL and Celebrity itineraries, prefer Seward over Whittier, and think one way cruises are the way to go if you have extra days.

Another option would be to rent an RV in Anchorage and travel that way. It's a wonderful way to see the natural beauty of Alaska. My DH and I spend about a week every summer doing just that. We rented an RV one year, if I recall, it was about $180 per day. We had so much fun we went out and bought one 2 weeks later. $180 a day sounds like a lot, but no hotel expenses and you save money on restaurants as well since you have your own kitchen on wheels.

An RV is an excellent option, my opinion too. I am up in the air if that will be my choice this year. I am a clear B&B girl however in many aspects- especially with the great personal contacts. I found the RV isolating, but my husband is looking at this option, it is ideal in the bathroom department too. :) I found even ice cream I bought remained perfectly frozen in the high quality freezer. Was wonderful with the full day of rain we had at the Alaska state fair. Easy to run back and forth to the RV when the rain picked up- less desirable in a car. :)

Archived