Mt. Roberts Tram

brunolvr

There are shops and a worthwhile movie if of interest. Yes plenty of trails, even one long switchback all the way back to town. Be sure to ride back up at night- your ticket is all day. Very beautiful with the city of Juneau, Douglas Island and cruise ships lit up.

There are shops and a worthwhile movie if of interest. Yes plenty of trails, even one long switchback all the way back to town. Be sure to ride back up at night- your ticket is all day. Very beautiful with the city of Juneau, Douglas Island and cruise ships lit up.

Sounds great! Thanks!

How much "stuff" is there to do once you take the tram up to Mt. Roberts? On a clear day I know the view is suppose to be spectacular, but what other things can you do? Are there any trails for "easy" hiking? Thanks!

I had read something about a restaurant at the top as well. Is it the kind of place you'd need a resewrvation for?

Thanks!

How far is this from where the ships are docked? Cab ride? Walk?

Thanks,

Lynn

The tram is right at the main dock, just a short walk. If your ship docks at the mine dock, then you could either take the shuttle that is provided by your ship or you would have a fairly long walk.

• 3 weeks later...

The bar and grill is not special -- the view is.

If you are one of the first cruises, such as my mid-May, many of the trails are not open yet due to snow.

The first time I visited this port with my DH, we bought one ticket. I rode up to see if it was worth buying the second ticket. Ticket is good for all day. So I rode back down and suggested he buy a ticket too and we both went back up.

Cathy and I tried to eat at the restaurant up top in September, but finally gave up (we got menus after about 10 minutes, but never did get our order taken) and went back down where we had a great meal on the dock - with service to match. The review - two thumbs down :(

Murray

How much time should we expect to spend up there? How long is the tram ride itself? We are planning on using it in between tours and are hoping we have enough time between 12:45p to 3. Thanks for the info.
The tram is fast, only takes a few minutes. Your timeframe should allow you to walk some of the trails, spend time at photo points and browse the shops a bit. I could easily spend several hours up there, but in two visits our schedule hasn't allowed it. We had good luck with the weather, especially in early May 2003, and were able to take any of the trails that we wanted.

Thanks for the time info, I may be a little Obsessive/compulsive, but I wanted to make sure it was worth getting the tickets with that time frame. It sounds beautiful! I'm excited about the tram trip, but was a little worried if it was a long tram ride that my husband would get a little nervous. Sounds like it should be ok. I'm assuming the tram is fairly enclosed? Thanks again!

Does anyone know how late it is light in July? We will be in Juneau until 11pm. I was thinking of going up the tram around 5 or 6 that evening (since we are doing other things the rest of the day). If I stay at the top for a couple of hours, I am assuming it will be light enough to see the scenery and that the tram will still be running.

Last year we took the tram to the top in May and the view is a MUST see view (IMHO). We didn't have time to do anything but have a quick look around and have lunch.

We enjoyed lunch a great deal. I had a french dip sandwich that was huge and wonderful and I forget what my wife had. However, they were both huge portions. We did not have a problem with service and loved looking out the window and seeing a bald eagle fly by and roost in a nearby tree. I have pictures from there on my picture place listed below.

Thanks for the time info, I may be a little Obsessive/compulsive, but I wanted to make sure it was worth getting the tickets with that time frame. It sounds beautiful! I'm excited about the tram trip, but was a little worried if it was a long tram ride that my husband would get a little nervous. Sounds like it should be ok. I'm assuming the tram is fairly enclosed? Thanks again!

According to both "Frommer's" and "Fodor's", the Mount Roberts Tramway takes about 6 minutes to whisk you up 1,800'. And, yes, the trams are enclosed. Think your husband can handle that? I don't like heights but this year I want to give it a try!

Archived