Carnival Cruising after Bariatric Surgery??

valancy1

Have any of you had bariatric surgery and cruised afterward? I was wondering what your experience was and how it went.

I am having surgery in the next couple months (can't wait) and then am cruising in September on our Carnival Dream.

I'd be interested in knowing what experiences you had regarding food on the ships and if you did all right, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Have any of you had bariatric surgery and cruised afterward? I was wondering what your experience was and how it went.

I am having surgery in the next couple months (can't wait) and then am cruising in September on our Carnival Dream.

I'd be interested in knowing what experiences you had regarding food on the ships and if you did all right, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Well no, I haven't. I'm not a big eater, though, and that's sort of what you'll be feeling like come September, so we may be similar. ;-) So here's my take on it. People who aren't big eaters tend to eat more smaller meals and snacks throughout the day, and a cruise is PERFECT for that! I usually get room service toast and fruit to eat first thing. I hit the breakfast buffet a few hours later (around 11) for something like yogurt or a bowl of cereal. I get a small late lunch from the buffet or deli. At 5, I hit the sushi bar for a yummy snack. We do late seating in the MDR, and that's obviously where portion control is hardest because they bring you so much food. Fortunately, there are some really good "light" options on the menu -- fruits, salads, etc. So you don't have to completely overeat and be stuffed every night. I usually skip dessert or nibble from my husband's dessert.

So as you can see, it's very easy to eat small meals and snacks throughout the day, which is what you'll be wanting to do in September. I have a friend who had bariatric surgery last year, and she eats like a little bird now. Not only is her appetite reduced, but she views food in an entirely different way than she used to. We went out for Mexican food and she didn't TOUCH the chips and salsa. I was so impressed with her restraint, but she said it's really second nature at this point.

Congratulations on your surgery, and don't worry about the food. It's everywhere, so if you're used to overeating, you will need to be careful and smart about it. But I think you'll be doing fine. People who have had the surgery said they are physically unable to eat large amounts at first.

Have fun!!!

Thanks Murphalina, the overeating part won't be an issue because I don't eat a lot now. People I know--skinny as twigs--eat more than I do. Dratted genetics!

Anyway, I have a friend that had bariatric surgery and when she goes out to dinner, she gets a lot of questions as to why she didn't eat more, or why she doesn't want anything to drink, etc. I thought I would try and find others who've handled this before on the ship and see how they addressed these scenarios.

Maybe they just had their "fill" and left it at that... People are used to seeing people eat lots and be full and so on. The one thing I will miss is my glass of wine with dinner. But it's a good trade, so it's nothing but positive all around.

Are you having bypass or lapband? How soon before the cruise?

I have had lapband in 2008 and have cruised twice since then. The only drawback I ever face is all the people I am cruising with loading up their plates with piles of food...and I have to sit there and watch them eat..lol! That food looks good too!! :mad: Then one morning, they had the nerve to have biscuits and gravy for breakfast!! :p I was so depressed!!! I had to go to the coffee place and get a frappacino!

All kidding aside, if you have your surgery at least a few months before the cruise, you should pretty much know how you have to eat by the then so you don't get sick. They always had something on the menu I could eat. While everyone else was having steak, I would have soup, or soft foods.

And there and so many places to eat, it's not hard to find somewhere you can eat the food (or try and eat it)! On our last cruise, the waiter thought I didn't like the food because I can only eat so little of it at a time. I had to assure him everything was great! :p

I had a friend who had bypass surgery last year. She went on a cruise about 2 months later. She said it wasn't a problem at all. Just ate much smaller meals, She did have to explain to the waiters that she did like the food. They couldn't understand why she ate so little of it. Have a great time. enjoy your cruise and good luck:)

P.S. You'll have to have your wine BEFORE dinner now...;)

I am sure by the time you cruise you'll have tried the drinking while eating thing at least once. That is all it will take to not do that again!

Are you not able to eat and drink at the same time? My mother-in-law had the bypass surgery but it didn't work for her :eek: I know it sounds impossible but none the less it is very true and very sad.

I had lap band Dec 5 2009 and cruised 1 28 2010. Did ok but you can over eat the band by eating icecream and cheese cake also the drinks but its only for a few days and my doc said to enjoy myself and get back on track after i returned.At dinner i got fruit and it was like 3 grapes an 2 others not big at all ,than ordered stake and had half than passed it on to a teen and it was gone! So have fun and try a bite of everything and only a bite leave room for choc. melting cake i live for that so happpy cruising !

Are you not able to eat and drink at the same time? My mother-in-law had the bypass surgery but it didn't work for her :eek: I know it sounds impossible but none the less it is very true and very sad.

I can only speak for the lapband. They warn you not to eat and drink at the same time because it creates a "cork" effect. I like to explain it like this...it's like putting food in an IV bag and let it drip slowly out one drop at a time. You add liquid on top of that, the liquid can't go anywhere because of the food in the way. It's an EXTREMELY uncomfortable feeling. You won't do it more than once or twice and then you'll learn your lesson.

When I eat, I have to wait at least an hour or so before I can take a drink of anything afterwards. And then I only take a sip or two to see if it is "o.k." to drink. If I have no problem, I will continue drinking til I am thru with the drink.

I have heard of people that have had lapband and bypass and are back to being heavy. They still eat things they shouldn't and learn how to "cheat". You have to change your relationship with food entirely for it to work.

After my surgery I got addicted to Starbucks frappicino's cause they were easy to drink and keep them down in my stomach and not get sick. I am a Starbucks junkie now...:eek:

My brother had bypass Nov 08 and I participated in a clinical trial March 09. We had no problems onboard. We did bring powerbars to take off ship so that we knew we had something to eat.

Also, I would bring a large cup to keep cold drinks in. You will need more in the heat!

Good Luck

Thanks everyone for the responses--I knew you were out there! :)

I am actually having roux en y and not lap band. I fly every week and would never want to have the lapband and all their adjustments for the life that I live, but know people who've been successful on it in their own rights.

As far as drinking before meals, they don't want you to drink because it would fill your pouch up and then you not have space for your foods. I have been doing a lot of self education as well as the stuff the doctor does with/for you and let's just say I'd rather not experience dumping syndrome--particularly on a cruise!

I'm glad to know you are out there and still have a fun time cruising and have little or no problems. I would love to hear from more if you are reading this... has anyone else had the bypass surgery out there and cruised afterwards? I'm not likely to give up cruising and having more limited choices doesn't bother me...

And you're right--I can have a sip of wine before (or a 1/2 hr after) eating :) I have some lovely cordial glasses that I'll start drinking my wine from now LOL.

I have heard of people that have had lapband and bypass and are back to being heavy. They still eat things they shouldn't and learn how to "cheat". You have to change your relationship with food entirely for it to work.

After my surgery I got addicted to Starbucks frappicino's cause they were easy to drink and keep them down in my stomach and not get sick. I am a Starbucks junkie now...:eek:

Karen, so many people think it is a magic "pill" of sorts... WL surgery is a TOOL. I know someone that had gastric bypass... totally altered his body forever, and didn't make any changes so the little weight he lost, he gained back.

I've waited for forever for this chance. There is no way I entered into this decision lightly and I simply am not going to blow it. Yet another reason why I chose gastric bypass over the lap band... less tolerance for fats and sugars than with the lap band.

I am thankful that I'm not addicted to caffeine or anything else in regards to food. I should be ok... time will tell, but I'm going to give it my all.

I had a lapband in 2004 and did a couple of cruises after that. Don't get me started on the evils of the band LOL It eroded and put a huge hole in my stomach. They actually had to go in on Feb 1 and do a sleeve gastrectomy on me to cut around the hole and sew my stomach back together. I cruised on March 14th; so 6 weeks later. Just got off the ship on Sunday. I actually posted about this on a WLS surgery forum I am on. I knew one other person was going on a cruise shortly and asked how she should be doing. I told her my experiences. A couple of others chimed in saying they just got off a cruise last week too. None of us had any issues at all.

I eat anything I want, just a lot less of it. Which procedure are you having done? I've dropped 38lbs since Feb 1. Sooooo much better than the band and I am not miserable every day of my life for more than 5 years LOL

Deb,

I had RNY done 3 years ago and I am doing wonderful. I cruised 11 months after I had the surgery and did fine. Did I get a little annoyed that I couldn't taste some of the food absolutely, but I also learned that you don't need food to have fun. In the dining room the waiters thought they were doing something wrong because I would only have the salad and the protein from the main entre but after a couple of days they stopped asking. I had some of the sugar free dessert which were actually pretty good. When your full it really won't make a difference what others are eating. I never drank much to begin with so not being able to have the DOD didn't bother me at all. And if you follow the rules for RNY you will at some time in the future be able to eat everything but you will make better choices. I'm actually leaving tomorrow for a 14 day cruise and am so looking forward to it. Wish you the best in your new endeavor. You will be so pleased with the results. If your looking for any support go to Daily Strength.com and go under Gastric Bypass Surgery. Lots of support from the best people ever!! Their like one big happy family. Good Luck

Karen, so many people think it is a magic "pill" of sorts... WL surgery is a TOOL. I know someone that had gastric bypass... totally altered his body forever, and didn't make any changes so the little weight he lost, he gained back.

I've waited for forever for this chance. There is no way I entered into this decision lightly and I simply am not going to blow it. Yet another reason why I chose gastric bypass over the lap band... less tolerance for fats and sugars than with the lap band.

I am thankful that I'm not addicted to caffeine or anything else in regards to food. I should be ok... time will tell, but I'm going to give it my all.

You will do great! I can tell by your attitude! Good luck girl! :D

First, congratulations on making a life changing (and possibly life saving) decision. This is a major commitment on your part and you seem to have the attitude that will allow you to achieve your goal.

Now as far as the cruise goes, I think you will find very little difference in things. We have done four Carnival cruises in the last three years. My wife is 4' 9 1/2" and weighs 90 pounds. She is a tiny eater. Our waitress on the TA cruise on the Carnival Splendor was sincerely worried that my wife did not like her entree some nights. "Are you not hungry? Didn't you like that? Would you like me to get you something else?" It was asked in a very nice and concerned way, so it never became an issue. Actually, it almost became a joke. You may have some experience like that, but I would bet you would also find it was a very caring server wanting to be sure you were totally happy.

Now, in all seriousness, Warm Chocolate Melting cake may not be wonderful food, but it is not bad for you. I am an insulin dependent diabetic and I eat it most nights on the ships. And, having a treat is part of constructive diet control.

Good luck,

Doc:D

my daughter had lap band and we went on a very short cruise...it's all about choices; i have maintained a weight loss of 140 pounds for over 8 years and cruise 2-3 times a year....i did this on my own; did not have bariatric surgery...i now have a t-shirt i wear on cruises that says "Yes, I really did lose 140 pounds"...great way to meet people!

Just know that not everyone does "great" after the surgery as far as eating goes. My dearest friend in the world had the surgery and it was a good 6 months before she could keep even the smallest of things down (we're talking a tablespoon of food). A girl I worked with had the same issue, it was at least 6 months before she could keep anything down. That is not going to keep you from cruising of course, but could make for an otherwise unpleasant experience should you be one of those who doesn't heal right away. If you know this up front (I'm sure your surgeon has explained all this to you), then you should be fine, even if you're not "fine" when you sail.

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Yes I have cruised so far once since surgery. I had Roux en Y gastric bypass in August 2007.

Regardless of eating the cruise will still be a blast. The rest and relaxation alone will be great.

That soon after surgery I would certainly not recommend consuming any alcohol. You will most likely be uber sensitive. I am over 2 years out and I'm still very very sensitive to just a couple sips.

As far as what to eat....it's truly going to depend on your restrictions after surgery. Speaking from my own experience, I was restricted up to 6 months after surgery.

Just remember the WLS rule...PROTEIN FIRST. Don't drink w/your meals or within 30 mins before or after and you'll be fine.

Have a great time!

Jo

If you could start eating as if you'd HAD the surgery, you might not even need it! It's true---it's just a tool...a reminder that you can't eat like you used to.

A friend of ours had by-pass, and lost ALOT of weight the first 2 years...but then, the "pouch" stretched out (and he helped it do that!!!) and the weight piled back on...this is NOT a magic bullet.

You have to change your entire life's habits....

Hi there... We are almost neighbors. Had a Gastric Bypass in Aug 05. Have cruised twice since then. As someone else here has said, it is all about choices. You will be needing to eat your protein first. Don't worry about salads and all the other stuff, especially at the stage you will be in. Also, you probably won't be drinking much or at all at your stage. Tell the wait staff that you have just had surgery and have to be a picky eater. They will cater to you. You may want to have an appetizer as dinner (especially since it will be more of the size you can actually eat!). Order what you want to eat and let them know when you want them to bring it. Don't worry about not having a plate in front of you while everyone else is eating, or just having a bite or two and putting down your fork. You have to take care of you. Sugar and anything fried will come back, so watch what you order. This is YOUR HEALTH AND WELL BEING. Do what you have to do and you will be fine!

I take a protein supplement called Unjury protein that I mix with my coffee in the morning and in the afternoon if I feel like I am missing something. I carry my Unjury with me into the dining room and mix it with my coffee and no one has any kind of problem with it. I also make sure I drink a lot during the day. The unsweetened iced tea with artificial sweetener and a little bit of lemonade tasted great. Get an insulated mug with a top from Walmart and take it with you for on the deck. The sweet mixed drinks from the bar will just make you sick and carbonated drinks won't be good either.

I check this board regularly. If you have any questions that I can help with, I will be happy to try to answer them. I have been there and done that!

You will be fine.

Eileen

Hi there,

I had my gastric surgery July 16th, last year. We cruised for Thanksgiving and I was very nervous about it. I'm 8 mts out now. I have lost 135 lbs. i was 4 mts out when I cruised the first time. I took my magic bullet machine with me and my unjury and made my protein shakes with strawberries and other fruits from the buffet area. I also, brought my protein bars. They are very healthy. I made sure I had my protein and to be honest, at that point of my journey, it was all I really wanted. At 4 mts out, I was just beginning to add food back to my diet. Real food anyways. lol Going to dinner is one of the experiences of cruising I like best and did not want to miss it just because I couldnt eat it all. I afterall, had paid ofr the food. There was always something I could pick and enjoy slowly. Chew Chew Chew! The waiter of course was worried I had not enjoyed my food but on the first nite I let him know I had surgery and could not finish a complete meal and he was very nice about it and had no problems with it. It is a lil scary simply because even for now, its something you havent experienced yet. If you have any questions at all. I also will help with answers. Have fun! Good luck with the surgery!

Tricia

My uncles best friend had a bypass several years ago. Best advice is to haev travel insurance in place in case heaven forbid something happens and you can't go. You want to be able to cancel without the guilt of losing all the money.

I won't go into his details but his short hospital stay wound up lasting over 7 months. Luckily he beat the odds and made it out. After that he did very well and lost all of his weight he needed to. He did put a small amount back on but never got heavy again. He eats pretty normal now just doesn't binge on junk like he use to and has no issues that I know of. He looks great and appears very happy and healthy now.

I have RNY scheduled for June 15. I am really excited, and a little nervous about the surgery. We are booked on the Pride for Nov 7. I will be almost 5 months out from surgery, so I am hoping that I will be OK with food and eating by then. :mad: Sad that I will be missing all the great food on the cruise. But I will try a nibble here and there and I will be happy with that. :rolleyes: Can't wait to be sitting on the balcony sipping my water. :)

Archived