Didn't get luggage until very late, Why????

Personally I would look at the silver lining of the luggage being late. that would say to me security IS doing their ob and it should be a safe and relaxing trip.

Would you rather security let things slide? someone could sneak on a gun if that were the case.

Stay positive and enjoy!!

guess this is why they say to bring a carry on bag with the essentials, change of clothes, bathing suit etc...

Hang on!

Are you saying they will break into your suitcase, I'm about 99% sure I've read on here that if they found something on the scanner you would be called to watch them search.

Has this changed?

Hang on!

Are you saying they will break into your suitcase, I'm about 99% sure I've read on here that if they found something on the scanner you would be called to watch them search.

Has this changed?

From what I have read of the boards, if luggage is locked, they will search if they feel they need to. If locked, they have you unlock so they can search.

You cruised during Spring Break, so they were probably checking luggage much more closely that week (this time of year). Sorry for your delay. People will do anything to save a few bucks these days. To me, the hassle of smuggling is not worth the extra $10 I will save. Plus, DH and I are not big drinkers. We have a few here or there, but we never run up a huge bar bill, and we budget for our alcohol consumption.

I don't see the OP as saying they were angry - they just are giving a warning to people who try to smuggle liquor in their suitcases.

No, he was sarcastically "thanking" the rule breakers, assuming they are the reason his luggage was late. Definitely came across as angry to me!

You were inconvenienced because they thought they saw something in YOUR luggage.

Jeez guy, get a grip and let it go. Yes they have the rules and yes they check. They would still check even if they didn't find anything so lighten up.....please!!!

The point that you're missing is that they would NOT check things like hairspray and mouthwash bottles if it weren't for the fact that the "losers" who are obsessed with getting their own booze onboard didn't resort to tactics like hiding it in hairspray and mouthwash bottles.

The point that you're missing is that they would NOT check things like hairspray and mouthwash bottles if it weren't for the fact that the "losers" who are obsessed with getting their own booze onboard didn't resort to tactics like hiding it in hairspray and mouthwash bottles.

and you missing an even simpler point. Assuming every "loser" stops smuggling tomorrow, when will RC security stop checking hair spray bottles and such? They will keep on checking for as long as the rule is in place, regardless if the "losers" stop smuggling tomorrow.

If there is an issue here it's with RC, not with the "losers". It's their revenue enhancing rules that created this mess. Why don't other cruise lines have issues with "losers"?

and you missing an even simpler point. Assuming every "loser" stops smuggling tomorrow, when will RC security stop checking hair spray bottles and such? They will keep on checking for as long as the rule is in place, regardless if the "losers" stop smuggling tomorrow.

I doubt that. If people aren't doing it, then they'll learn that it is not worthwhile to check. These types of things tend to go in cycles. If authorities crack down on something, word gets around and fewer people break the rules. Then, with fewer people breaking the rules, there is less need for enforcement, so the authorities back off. Word gets around, then more people start breaking the rules again, etc. etc.

I see that kind of pattern on the roads around where I live. Things tend to get pretty bad with people abusing the speed limit laws, then there will be a crack-down and traffic gets better for a while. Once things are better, the crack-down ends, and the traffic situation gradually deteriorates again until the next crack-down.

I doubt that. If people aren't doing it, then they'll learn that it is not worthwhile to check. These types of things tend to go in cycles. If authorities crack down on something, word gets around and fewer people break the rules. Then, with fewer people breaking the rules, there is less need for enforcement, so the authorities back off. Word gets around, then more people start breaking the rules again, etc. etc.

I see that kind of pattern on the roads around where I live. Things tend to get pretty bad with people abusing the speed limit laws, then there will be a crack-down and traffic gets better for a while. Once things are better, the crack-down ends, and the traffic situation gradually deteriorates again until the next crack-down.

so you basically agree with me.

It's RC's revenue enhancing rules that causes this mess. Perhaps some people will stop smuggling when they read these posts, but eventually they will go back to smuggling when they feel the "heat is off".

Besides, CC population represents a tiny percentage of all the cruisers. What about all the cruisers that don't hang around here, that don't read the fine print in the RCs T&C? They may just be bringing a bottle of wine because they don't know any better, or an iron, etc....

If RC allowed a "reasonable" amount of alcohol to be consumed in the room, then that in itself would eliminate 95% of "smuggling losers", but until the rule is changed, blame RC for this mess, not the "losers".

From what I have read of the boards, if luggage is locked, they will search if they feel they need to. If locked, they have you unlock so they can search.

Last week (3/13 -3/18) on Navigator: My luggage was not locked. I was called to deck 1 naughty room at about 4:00 pm. for one of our four bags. My steward actually accompanied me down there (I had tipped him nicely) upon meeting him. I volunteered that I had a box of wine when asked for alcohol. They opened my bag in my presence - not before, I surrendered the box of wine, and they did a cursory search, found nothing (they missed), and then I went on my way. The delays are being caused by there being thousands and thousands of bags to deliver coupled with RCI's policy of wanting to sieze alcohol. There is no law requiring them to sieze alcohol. The history is that for many years, there was no alcohol prohibition, then when policies were enacted, they were never enforced. At $5/beer, and $7 to 10/drink, it is not hard to understand why this is now being done. Scanning / xray technology is cheaper, drinks are more expensive, and by siezing alcohol and selling to a captive market cruise lines can advertise lower cruise prices with the strategy of making it up in alcohol purchases. If there is a guilty party here, blame the cruise lines for a business strategy that is dependent upon searching and siezing alcohol.

As to what's saved, it's more than saving just a few dollars or so as one poster implied. On a five day cruise, if I have 4 or 5 drinks per day (one at lunch, one at dinner, two or three in the evening), that's $ 40 average per person per day. That is a $400 + bar tab at the end of 5 days for my wife and I. We don't drink much at home, but we enjoy cutting loose and partying when on a cruise. If others don't, fine, that's their choice. I can cut my bar bill in half or more by bringing $30 or so of my own alcohol, plus enjoy a drink in my cabin / balcony without fetching a drink or waiting for room service. I like that. And I'm going to continue to do it no matter how long it takes them to scan everybody's baggage - because that is RCI's choice, not mine.

so you basically agree with me.

It's RC's revenue enhancing rules that causes this mess.

Hmm. No. I don't agree with that.

Perhaps some people will stop smuggling when they read these posts, but eventually they will go back to smuggling when they feel the "heat is off".

But this part, I do agree with.

Besides, CC population represents a tiny percentage of all the cruisers. What about all the cruisers that don't hang around here, that don't read the fine print in the RCs T&C? They may just be bringing a bottle of wine because they don't know any better, or an iron, etc....

That's true, too, but these things will have little effect on those who DON'T have wine or an iron. A bottle of wine and an iron don't look like hairspray or mouthwash. The ones innocently bringing things they don't know are against the rules are not the ones who cause the type of problem this thread is addressing.

If RC allowed a "reasonable" amount of alcohol to be consumed in the room, then that in itself would eliminate 95% of "smuggling losers", but until the rule is changed, blame RC for this mess, not the "losers".

It would eliminate some of them, but probably not 95%. And, it would put them right back into some of the liability issues that have driven most of the cracking down. Just a handful of bad incidents related to excessive and/or underage drinking can end up costing them huge amounts of money and bad publicity. I know you won't believe that it has to do with anything more than revenue, though.

Hmm. No. I don't agree with that.

But this part, I do agree with.

That's true, too, but these things will have little effect on those who DON'T have wine or an iron. A bottle of wine and an iron don't look like hairspray or mouthwash. The ones innocently bringing things they don't know are against the rules are not the ones who cause the type of problem this thread is addressing.

It would eliminate some of them, but probably not 95%. And, it would put them right back into some of the liability issues that have driven most of the cracking down. Just a handful of bad incidents related to excessive and/or underage drinking can end up costing them huge amounts of money and bad publicity. I know you won't believe that it has to do with anything more than revenue, though.

we'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue. This rule is nothing more than revenue enhancing ploy by RC. Explain to me why it's okay to bring your own booze on many other cruise lines, even their own Celebrity Line if this was a liability issue?

[quote name='andrzej5914']Explain to me why it's okay to bring your own booze on many other cruise lines, even their own Celebrity Line if this was a liability issue?[/quote]

I don't really follow the policies of many other cruise lines, but I know Celebritiy's policy, which allows a limited amount of wine (up to 2 bottles/cabin) but no liquor or beer. The difference in clientele is probably a big reason for the small difference. But, to turn your question around on itself, if it were really only about revenue, then why don't they have the same set of rules on Celebrity? Are you suggesting that wine revenue is more important to them on Royal Caribbean than on Celebrity?

[quote name='Paul65']I don't really follow the policies of many other cruise lines, but I know Celebritiy's policy, which allows a limited amount of wine (up to 2 bottles/cabin) but no liquor or beer. The difference in clientele is probably a big reason for the small difference. But, to turn your question around on itself, if it were really only about revenue, then why don't they have the same set of rules on Celebrity? Are you suggesting that wine revenue is more important to them on Royal Caribbean than on Celebrity?[/QUOTE]

I don't know the reason why and I don't care.

The point is this. Most other major cruise lines I know of allow "reasonable" amount of your own alcohol to be brought on board, consumed in your own room, etc.

If it's a liability issue, something that the insurance companies may fear, wouldn't the same insurance companies make the other cruise lines institute the exact same policy? I would think Carnival may have a bigger issue with liability and yet they allow alcohol.

And you can't tell me that Celebrity attracts only "responsible" crowd.. come on? who is to judge that?

I haven't sailed Carnival and so haven't worried about what their policies were. But....since you are telling me what "most other major lines" do, I looked it up. No liquor or beer allowed. One bottle of wine or champagne per over-21 passenger allowed.

So, yes, they too allow a bottle of wine per person. I suppose RCCL could do the same, but they haven't chosen to do so. Either way, none of them (that is, none of the ones we've specifically discussed) allow liquor.

Please allow me to add a few points from this 'loser's' point of view.

When I travel with SWMBO, we always travel with a bottle of some knid in our checked luggage. If to a hotel, it is for our (and any guests that might drop by) in room consumption. We don't wander all over the hotel property with a drink of smuggled booze in our hands. When staying with friends, we will bring alcohol to share with our hosts and other guests. If it is an all inclusive resort, same thing. I don't want to run all the way to the bar just for 'free' booze while we age getting ready for dinner.

On the revenue side, two points;
1. The lack of alcohol in our cabin from a before dinner perspective (the only time the onboard stash is touched) is probably revenue neutral to the cruise line. As noted above I will not run to the bar just so I can have a drink in the cabin.
2. I looked back at the six pervious cruises I have been on and made an interesting observation. The lowest (by far) on board bill we had was for a cruise where I did not try to 'smuggle' alcohol onboard. I guess the pre-dinner drinks tend to loosen the wallet.

Why do the cruise lines treat me differently when it comes to this issue? I suspect it is because feel they can to some degree control the alcohol permitted on board and then dictate the price we will pay for theirs.

BTW, who is Bill W? Is the reason I don't recognize this name likely due to the fact that I have yet to admit to my in room alcohol consumption problem and seek help?

Thanks for the forum.

'Loser' out.

[quote name='Ironhorseafire']
BTW, who is Bill W? Is the reason I don't recognize this name likely due to the fact that I have yet to admit to my in room alcohol consumption problem and seek help?

Thanks for the forum.

'Loser' out.[/quote]
Bill Wilson, co-founder of AA.

I have a question.........Is there alcohol in the fridge located in the cabin? I am a die hard carnival traveler and this year have decided to give the Mariner a try. On carnival, the fridge is stocked with mini bottles and several cans of different beer and a few soft drinks.. I assume if you have one the steward replaces it and charges you accordingly. I myself have never used the stock in the fridge but have emptied it to store my "smuggled diet coke". The reason I smuggled on carnival is that I did not want to carry on my stash. I can say that in 8 cruises I have never been sent to the naughty room. In fact the last cruise I walked on with a cooler (the six pack size) I had some cranberry juice and a couple of water bottles in it. It never got a second glance. I even saw one family that had 3 yes 3 cases of water that they carried onboard. No one thoght twice about it except for me, I thought it looked to heavy to carry. I am hoping that as someone stated earlier that this "crackdown" is because of spring break and that by the time my august cruise comes around it will be a non- issuse. If not........well there is always carnival.

Archived