How to avoid Houston traffic???

2-laner

We will be driving down to Galveston from Kansas, and probably arriving sometime late Friday afternoon or early evening. We do not sail until Sunday morning on the Conquest, but, wanted to arrive early so as to take in the sites of Galveston since none of our party has ever been there before. My question is this: is there anyway at all of avoiding Friday traffic around Houston? I have never been to Houston, but if Friday traffic there is anything like certain sections of Kansas City - OMG :eek:. From the map, it looks as if there is no way to avoid Houston when trying to get to Galveston. Any advice? Or is there a better time to arrive. I suppose we could try to arrive later in the evening if it would help. Arriving earlier will not be possible. Thanks :)

My question is this: is there anyway at all of avoiding Friday traffic around Houston?

I'm really not trying to be a smartass, but having lived there from 2001-2004, I would have to say that that the only way to avoid Houston traffic is to never go there. The 610 loop is often a parking lot, and you may actually do better by shooting straight through the middle of town. Just be prepared that your journey may take two or three times as long as you think it will. You should be patient; your passengers should bring reading material. Maybe some of the long-time residents can tell you weird back-road shortcuts but they can be tricky if you don't drive them every day. Sorry, wish I could be more encouraging, but I found traffic in parts of Houston to be almost as bad as in Los Angeles.

I am not an expert on this by any means, but I know of no way to avoid traffic during rush hour that isn't many miles out of the way. If I was driving from Houston (I live on the northwest side) to Galveston on a Friday, and could not leave by 3 pm, I'd wait until 7 pm. By then, the worst should have passed, barring any accidents or other traffic impediments.

That being said, I hope someone who makes that portion of your trip on a regular basis (I do not) will post...they may know information that is more helpful to you.

Patty in Houston

We will be driving down to Galveston from Kansas, and probably arriving sometime late Friday afternoon or early evening. We do not sail until Sunday morning on the Conquest, but, wanted to arrive early so as to take in the sites of Galveston since none of our party has ever been there before. My question is this: is there anyway at all of avoiding Friday traffic around Houston? I have never been to Houston, but if Friday traffic there is anything like certain sections of Kansas City - OMG :eek:. From the map, it looks as if there is no way to avoid Houston when trying to get to Galveston. Any advice? Or is there a better time to arrive. I suppose we could try to arrive later in the evening if it would help. Arriving earlier will not be possible. Thanks :)

SEE MAP

In a busy time

when we come from IAH BUSH to Galveston

we go from IAH(airport) east to HW59 down south to 610Loop go east

to IH45 to Galveston

In a non busy time

when we come from IAH BUSH to Galveston

we go from IAH(airport) east to HW59 to downtown and go from downtown on IH45 to Galveston.

If I were coming froim Midwest via Dallas

down I45 to Houston in rush hours

I would come on I45 to Loop 610 on northside of Houston

and go east on 610

to 610 East then where it turns into 610 South

get on to I45 south to Galveston.

610 Loop is just a circle around Houston to avoid downtown.

There are North, South, East, and West parts of the circle and so called..

You can drive forever in a circle.

You're likely to encounter a slowdown on any route you take around town at rush hour. Just plan for an extra hour drive time if you hit town from 4 - 7PM. The direct route is I45 into town, thru downtown and all the way to Galveston.

If you have access to the web with a cell phone, laptop with aircard, etc, take a look at the real time traffic map before hitting the city:

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org

From I 45 take Beltway 8 to the west (tollway). Go all the way around to I 45 again, then south to Galveston. It is longer by distance, but will probably be no longer timewise than taking I 610 and could be shorter. ;)

I guess I've become desensitized to the traffic around here, having worked in downtown Houston for close to 12 years. Travelling southbound on I-45 won't be that bad since you will be going opposite the flow. My major suggestion is that if you have 2+ people in the vehicle, and you are nearing downtown around rush hour, try to get onto the HOV lane leaving downtown. HOV entrance can be a bit tricky, but if my 74 year old father can do it, I know you can too! :D HOV will take you past Beltway 8 on the south. Granted, it will dump you into some traffic on I-45 south toward Galveston, but being able to go from downtown to the Beltway in around 20 minutes or less at rush hour is worth looking into.

http://www.ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/HOV/HOV-Guide.pdf

This is the HOV guide for Houston. You want the Gulf Corridor information, color coded in purple. There is map of how to get onto the HOV.

• 2 weeks later...

I ask, because before you have to deal with Houston, you have to deal with Dallas. Southbound 75 isn't bad through Dallas EXCEPT in the mornings between 7 am and 10 am. It starts well north of Dallas in Collin County around Allen and doesn't thin out till you are past downtown and I30.

I lived in the Houston area many years ago, and the traffic was bad then and worse now. When we leave Dallas headed for Galveston, we time it so we won't be in the rush hour. It's about a 5 hour drive from here to Galveston, so we leave at 9 or 10 in the morning and get there by 3 or so, thus avoiding the worst of Houston. When we went last fall to cruise on the Ecstasy, we spent the night in Webster(NASA area) and then drove down to Galveston the next morning. Half hour drive.

and the HOV lane? forget it. :rolleyes: even with GPS, we wound up driving all over downtown Houston trying to get on it(on the way back from the cruise-northbound) never did find the entrance, and would have made better time just staying on the freeway.

eta: OP didn't say when their cruise was. I may be late to the party with my reply.... I hope it all works out.

I just drove from San Antonio on IH10 (last Sunday afternoon) to Florida and the traffic was horrible especially near Houston. We never did find out if there was an accident or just alot of traffic. The lesson I learned was to fly and avoid IH 10 all together.:)

I just drove from San Antonio on IH10 (last Sunday afternoon) to Florida and the traffic was horrible especially near Houston. We never did find out if there was an accident or just alot of traffic. The lesson I learned was to fly and avoid IH 10 all together.:)

Last Sunday, as in Easter Sunday?? Naw, no accidents, just the usual Sunday afternoon east bound on I10 plus the "extra" for the holiday!!:D It started getting bad at Columbus and by Brookshire it was a cluster "f" - right??!!:p

Ah-h-h Dallas. Haven't really figured out which route we are taking down to Houston. We live in the southeast part of Kansas, and it would be lovely if they had a good north-south interstate that went along the borders over there. But, they do not. So, we will have to figure out the route. Our trip isn't until the first part of 2011, so we have time.

Dallas traffic is something I had not thought about, but will have to keep in mind if we decide to go through there. (Which is a pretty good bet if we want to make time otherwise) I also thank everyone for the wonderful advice on times, I will most certainly be figuring that into everything. I wonder what 3 AM traffic is like in Houston?? :D That would put us in Dallas about 9 or 10 PM - it has potential. :)

I wonder what 3 AM traffic is like in Houston?? :D That would put us in Dallas about 9 or 10 PM - it has potential. :)

You should just fly through at 3 AM - except Sat night/Sun morn ....too many drunks still on the road for me!:eek: On weekdays the traffic will start picking up about 5 AM going inbound into the city center - yes, people leave for work that early.:)

How are Friday nights in Houston? Didn't know if the drunks would be driving the roads then, or is Saturday more the threat?

Fridays will probably be about the same as Saturday - if you're talking about after midnight. I will admit to being a little over the top about the drunks - except that I can't recall a weekend in forever where there isn't at least one death caused by drunk driving somewhere in the greater Houston area. Of course, I'm sure it is the same in any of the really big cities - LA, Atlanta, etc. I really think that you will probably be better off driving through - or around - or however you do it during daylight hours - it's just easier then. GOOD LUCK!:p:)

We will probably drive it in the daylight hours. None of us want to drag into the hotel at the wee hours, and then try to enjoy ourselves the next day while being dead tired from traveling. I've driven in a few big cities over the years during some hairy traffic - Seattle and Chicago come to mind - and made it in one piece. Didn't necessarily enjoy it, but, a figure a nice glass of wine over a nice dinner once we get there will most certainly take care of any left-over stress. :) Give me small-town or even rural, follow the combine or tractor, traffic any time. :):)

Archived