AV hook-up to TV on Solstice...

Tom-n-Cheryl

No, actually I did not miss the point at all - which I why I added the part about taking our laptop.

We DO NOT travel away from home (overnight) without it. That is a personal decision. For those who can totally unplug, I applaud you. I prefer to stay connected, and that is by choice. So I am at peace with that!

When you go on vacation (not only cruises), do you take your cell phone... just in case? :confused: (They can come in handy!)

Tom

It would appear that you did since my post was in regard to the question of why your kids want bring along their games while on a cruise which is most likely the same reason why adults bring their computers.

It would appear that you did since my post was in regard to the question of why your kids want bring along their games while on a cruise which is most likely the same reason why adults bring their computers.

Alrighty then...

Thanks for your continued concern!

Tom

(something tells me you DO take your cell phone with you)

I wasn't concerned, but your welcome none the less. BTW, I do take a cell phone but it's off during the cruise because I won't pay the outrageous rates that my carrier charges and I give my family at home the emergency number of the cruise line if they need to contact me. Good luck with your research and I hope that you have a wonderful cruise.

I wasn't concerned, but your welcome none the less. BTW, I do take a cell phone but it's off during the cruise because I won't pay the outrageous rates that my carrier charges and I give my family at home the emergency number of the cruise line if they need to contact me. Good luck with your research and I hope that you have a wonderful cruise.

Thank you.

I don't keep mine on either - only if I need to call out. I wonder about those (usually teens) who walk about with it up to their ears without apparent knowledge of the fees involved!

Tom

I am going to make an assumption, but if you can physically reach the connection behind the TV and it in fact the standard coax cable connection that feeds the TV signal, there may be a way around the disabled ports. If that is true, those that are determined to get access via RCA jacks and or S-video may be able to do that. You can purchase a multi port access device at any major retail store, Wal-**** included (go to the electronics/TV section of the store). Shouldn't cost more than about $10 to $20 dollars. This device requires AC power, but will take a standard cable connection as an input (you will need to make sure you bring that short section of coax to reconnect the output of this device of the multi port device to the TV). You will be able to receive the signal for the TV and when you connect the xbox/dvd player, simply turn it on and your device will override the TV signal. It is a bit of a long shot, but it might work. Of course you might want to ask yourself, would this really be worth the hassle? That is for each individual to decide.

I am going to make an assumption, but if you can physically reach the connection behind the TV and it in fact the standard coax cable connection that feeds the TV signal, there may be a way around the disabled ports. If that is true, those that are determined to get access via RCA jacks and or S-video may be able to do that. You can purchase a multi port access device at any major retail store, Wal-**** included (go to the electronics/TV section of the store). Shouldn't cost more than about $10 to $20 dollars. This device requires AC power, but will take a standard cable connection as an input (you will need to make sure you bring that short section of coax to reconnect the output of this device of the multi port device to the TV). You will be able to receive the signal for the TV and when you connect the xbox/dvd player, simply turn it on and your device will override the TV signal. It is a bit of a long shot, but it might work. Of course you might want to ask yourself, would this really be worth the hassle? That is for each individual to decide.

Thanks for the thought along those lines. That is indeed the question... can the current input be reached, is it removable, and then can it be replaced (utilized). I will have my answer in ~ two months either way!

Tom

Tom,

We will be sailing the Solstice in November. We usually take a portable DVD player and a few movies to play while we are getting ready for dinner and right before we go to sleep. Any information you can provide would be appreciated. I check the boards often.

Thanks!!

Jason

Tom,

We will be sailing the Solstice in November. We usually take a portable DVD player and a few movies to play while we are getting ready for dinner and right before we go to sleep. Any information you can provide would be appreciated. I check the boards often.

Thanks!!

Jason

I will take notes! Just "look me up" on here after our 5/30 sailing!

Tom

• 2 years later...
I will take notes! Just "look me up" on here after our 5/30 sailing!

Tom

Hi Tom, I can't find a way to message you, maybe I need a few posts first!

Did you find any hacks to hook up your laptop to the TV?

Cruise Critic does not offer the PM feature -- to a certain extent, knowing some of the people around these parts, I can understand why. LOL !!

Once you are out of hotel mode, you should have control of the inputs. Assuming your laptop can utilize one of the inputs, it should be feasible.

Our son was able to activate the inputs in their cabin so that they could hook up their game console - and we were able do the same on the TV in our cabin.

Good luck!

Tom

Could it be that the reason why everything is disabled is X does not want passengers using the inputs? Have you asked X if it is acceptable to modify their television settings?

Just asking.

OF COURSE they don't want people doing this! ;)

People are much more likely to rent $13 movies if they have no other use for the TV -- and can't hook up their own devices!

Tom

Were you able to put both T.V.s back to their original configuration after you were done??

Cruise Critic does not offer the PM feature -- to a certain extent, knowing some of the people around these parts, I can understand why. LOL !!

Once you are out of hotel mode, you should have control of the inputs. Assuming your laptop can utilize one of the inputs, it should be feasible.

Our son was able to activate the inputs in their cabin so that they could hook up their game console - and we were able do the same on the TV in our cabin.

Good luck!

Tom

oh, that stinks! My husband and I do the P90X workout, and were hoping to keep up with it while we were gone. So we'll have to figure something out without playing the DVDs!

I kept up with my P90X while on our cruise (well I did it 3 times, and went to the gym about 4 times :rolleyes:) I had the videos downloaded on our laptop and iPad. I also brought a resistance band in my suitcase :p

Were you able to put both T.V.s back to their original configuration after you were done??

Actually it ended up being THREE...

I had asked ahead of time for a DVD player in our cabin, and they had hooked it up to the large (living area) TV. So that TV already had "Hotel Mode" disabled before we arrived --- thus I left it as I found it.

The TV in our bedroom was the first one that I "experimented" with, was able to put it in normal mode, and returned it to fully operational Hotel Mode.

The TV in our son's room was not returned to Hotel Mode, as it was not responding to the series of button commands the way the one in our cabin did. Now, I have no idea what setting might have been changed by my son or his 3 friends during that week, but something was different. I would guess that their onboard tech guy (whoever hooked up the DVD player in our room) was able to get it sorted out -- factory reset or similar, something I did not want to try myself.

Tom

Was there some special way to get a DVD player or can anyone request it? Was there a charge? Thanks.

I had emailed the customer care (or some similarly named) department at Celebrity before our 2010 Solstice sailing, and they were able to contact the ship and arrange having it installed in our suite.

Fast forward to 2012 for our Eclipse cruise (same category: CS) and they told me that that was not possible on the Eclipse.

So, not sure if it's ship specific or if their policy has changed. Perhaps if I had been in an RS or PS ... lol - who knows!

Tom

There are perfectly good reasons to want a computer and a working TV connection. We are going to be on the Solstice for 60 days. Do you have any idea how many sea days are involved? Six at a time in some stretches. I really would like the capability of hooking my laptop via HDMI to the TV to watch some movies during this time.

What is the difference between doing this and bringing an e-book which everyone seems to be doing? Reading is okay, but TV not?

Good luck!

Tom

Thanks Tom

I also started a couple of threads on this board and another. I was advised that simply unhooking the RJ45 Celeb Media input was all that was required to enable the hdmi inputs.

I'll be taking cables and all the advice I'm getting, as my feeling is this is ship specific and maybe even cabin specific.

One response suggested it was simply plug and play.

And yes, probably a good thing not having a PM feature on this board. I've been very surprised by the cruise natsies who seem to think a couple enjoying their choice of media in the cabin somehow lessens their own personal cruise experience!!

Could it be that the reason why everything is disabled is X does not want passengers using the inputs? Have you asked X if it is acceptable to modify their television settings?

Just asking.

I agree, I don't have a problem with Tom and Cheryl because they are asking Celebrity's permission and guidance. Its the others who feel they can tamper with ships equipment whenever they wish Makes you wonder what else they might feel entitled to play around with because they are so called experts. Using the excuse of having someone who might be confined to their cabin is bogus since they can ask Celebrity also.

Some people have been responding negatively to this and other similar threads because they personally don't see a valid reason, and some also seem to think connecting a cable jack to a socket in our cabin will somehow spoil their own personal cruise experience :eek:.

I realise self centered is the norm for the human being, but even when asked to show compassion for someone without legs they still insist on assuming a policing role over something which they have no authority and seemingly no depth of knowlege or understanding.

I find that quite sad.

In answer to a previous post, of course I have contacted celebrity about this, it was my first port of call! So far, I've received a standard email response about how much I have to pay to access the internet :confused:, so I can see this will be an uphill battle and I am doubtful we'll get an official resolution before we sail.

Last year, I asked for help onboard from the ship's techie. He was willing to help but I had to provide the cables, which I didn't have. This year, I want to be more prepared.

Last year, I asked for help onboard from the ship's techie. He was willing to help but I had to provide the cables, which I didn't have. This year, I want to be more prepared.

On one sailing I recall our first port of call was in St. Thomas a few years back - were "touristy" things on the agenda? Nope, mission one was to hit the local Radio Shack for a cable (I have since been more prepared) and mission two was finding a grocery store near the port for some horseradish --- as the horseradish onboard was so weak you could probably put it in your eyes without reaction! Now we bring our own horseradish as well... ;) :D

Tom

Can anyone advise me how long an hdmi cable might be required on the Solstice to attach a laptop from the nearest "resting point". 10 ft or just 6 ft???

6 should do it, but I suppose it depends on the cabin in question. In the case of the Celebrity Suites, it was right in front of the TV.

IMG0838-L.jpg

Tom

Some people have been responding negatively to this and other similar threads because they personally don't see a valid reason, and some also seem to think connecting a cable jack to a socket in our cabin will somehow spoil their own personal cruise experience :eek:.

I realise self centered is the norm for the human being, but even when asked to show compassion for someone without legs they still insist on assuming a policing role over something which they have no authority and seemingly no depth of knowlege or understanding.

I find that quite sad.

In answer to a previous post, of course I have contacted celebrity about this, it was my first port of call! So far, I've received a standard email response about how much I have to pay to access the internet :confused:, so I can see this will be an uphill battle and I am doubtful we'll get an official resolution before we sail.

You never mentioned that you contacted Celebrity just decided you would do it on your own. No one is assuming a Policing role because in order to do that you would have to be on the ship. I wish you well but next time before you criticize people, tell the whole story.

Archived