Friends of Dorothy or Rainbow LGBT?

Wingtips56

We've been on cruises that have these get togethers most of the time. The issue we've encountered is that younger people (Dorothy who? Judy who? :eek:) and people outside the U.S. generally don't recognize Friends of Dorothy, and don't show up. On the other hand, Princess tries to get the point across a little more clearly, calling it Rainbow LBGT get-togethers. But then that wasn't recognized soon enough by the people looking for Friends of Dorothy. And first-time, shy cruisers have no idea.....

It's been more than once that we've ended up having a meal with another couple near the end of the cruise that never knew the "secret code name" for our get-togethers.

Is there a solution that would extend beyond Cruise Critic members to get the definitions out? Do Europeans and others use terms we North Americans don't know?

This has been discussed several times.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=891735

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1052805

As i have said previously on these boards I don't think we should be entitled to a special meeting just because we are gay. We fight for equality, yet we expect to be different by having meetings like FOD GLBTQ. To me it seems rather hypocritical of us.

As i have said previously on these boards I don't think we should be entitled to a special meeting just because we are gay. We fight for equality, yet we expect to be different by having meetings like FOD GLBTQ. To me it seems rather hypocritical of us.

Huh? Isn't it more of a socal gathering of like minded people rather than a "special meeting"? You wouldn't say the same thing about a gathering of people who play bridge or who enjoy scrapbooking would you? I think you are assigning political importance to something that's just intended to be fun.

As to what to call the gathering, I've said before that I like the campyness of FOD but I can see the point of calling it LGBT. I've also said before that it is pretty significant that the cruise lines are open to these gatherings and we shouldn't place blame or burden them with what to call them. We, like other minority groups, just need to decide what we are comfortable with and make suggestions to cruise directors as we sail.

I thought the same thing by that quote...

It isn't like these are special secret meetings about how we are going to take over the world.......OR ARE THEY????:eek::eek::eek:

:D

Seriously, tho....quit taking ourselves so seriously!!

It is just a simple social gathering, so we can find other gay peeps to hang out with...nothing more....

It isn't like these are special secret meetings about how we are going to take over the world.......OR ARE THEY????:eek::eek::eek:

Ok, the cat's out of the bag now! How are we ever going to take over the world when you keep letting everyone know about our secret meetings!

Archived