Binoculars

Travelingsoon

I've been told that binoculars are a must for an Alaskan cruise. What is the quality of the binoculars that are available in our cabins and can we take them off the ship? Also, we are going to be in room 509 -anyone have experience in that cabin? Thanks for your responses. Less than 90 days before our cruise!!

The binoculars in the suites are rather large for carrying ashore and not particularly powerful for watching wild life. I would suggest buying a small pair at a sports store that you can carry easily.

I do not know exactly what binocs you will get w your room. However, I have bought a number of binoc sets and have always had to try several before I found ones that I liked. If I were you, I would bring my own and they would be bought at a shop where I could try them first.

DON

The onboard bins are perfectly OK but average size i.e. relatively bulky. I always take compact bins that will fit in my pocket, but I only use them for short periods of time.

Keen birdwatching friends have the new "stabilised" versions -- even bulkier than the standard ones -- and these have some kind of battery-powered (motorised?) system that reduces the inevitable shakiness of handheld magnification. I've tried them, and the quality improvement is really noticeable. But you do have to be dedicated to carry them around.

According to Silversea, the binoculars in the suites on the Shadow are:10X50, Field 6, 105m/1000m

What dates will you be cruising? We will be on the Seward to Vancouver voyage that departs Seward June 10.

Archived